“Rustic Weekend”
Review of Idyllwild Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Idyllwild
Idyllwild Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Idyllwild B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Rustic Weekend”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here in a rustic cabin #10 that was built around 1915. The cabin has everything you need for a comfortable stay. You will need to bring your own hairdryer though.The kitchen area provides all that you will need. When the wife say's that everything was clean I know I did OK. The fireplace was enjoyable for me as I don't have one at home. We hope to return next winter.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WoHop132

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Lucky me, I had to go to Idyllwild for work so I booked a cabin with the Idyllwild Inn. The price was affordable and the location of the Inn is right in the middle of town.

The cabin was a one bedroom duplex with a kitchenette, small dinning area and living room w/fireplace. The rooms were clean and cozy although the furniture was something out of the 60's (not intended to look art deco-ish, just old including the toilet seat that had wear spots). The bed was comfortable and extra pillows are in the closet if needed - I need!

The complex is not that big so even if you have a cabin furthest from the main entrance it's a nice walk. You can park your car next to your cabin and I wish the Inn would not allow this. So many other cabin dwellers around me were going in and out of their cars at odd hours sounding there lock/unlock alarm systems, and in the mountains that sound carries. It kind takes away from the whole I'm in a cabin feel.

My coworkers stayed in what the Inn calls the theme rooms - kinda like a bunk house and all the rooms were pretty cool.

The town is great with good places to eat and little trinket stores. It was Halloween and although I missed spending it with my family, the whole town of Idyllwild gets into character. Everyone in every store or just walking around town was dressed for the occasion and a little carnival from 4 to 8 although I missed it because I was working…

OK – the biggie! If you stay at the Idyllwild Inn, I would suggest you get a cabin that is NOT a duplex or adjoined to anything. There is nothing more unnerving than being woken-up in the middle of the night because someone is walking around in your room… The first night I was so freaked out because inside my cabin was pitch-black and I could hear the floorboards squeaking from someone walking around. I swear I thought it was in my room and someone was going to get hurt - but in fact it was the people walking around at all hours of the night in the adjoined (duplex) cabin.

Liked it all but the cars next to the cabins and a duplex.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Duplex cabins are not for me.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank rkbzdsa
California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My beautiful bride and I had just time for a micro-vacation and I decided instead of burning up a lot of gas that we should just go on a quick jaunt up the hill to the quaint village of Idyllwild. Because walking is getting to be a problem for me I wanted someplace close to the center of town, and you don't get any closer than the Idyllwild Inn. It is right across the street from The Gastrognome, next to the Idyllwild Monument, and just a bit down the block from Jo'An's. (Note: Jo'An Lackey is the proprietor, so the name is not "Joanne's.") If you're coming in to town from the south, turn right on Ridge View Road, which dead-ends at Village Center Drive in just 700 feet. When you come to the stop sign, Idyllwild Inn will be right in front of you. Can't miss it.

We didn't need the space (or the expense) of a cabin, and Idyllwild Inn has "theme rooms" in two separate buildings with Indian, Old West, French Country, Camp motifs in one, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring in the other. We had originally requested the Camp room, but due to scheduling conflicts we wound up in Summer. All the rooms are pretty much the same except that some have queen beds, others have kings. Our pillow-top king was quite comfy. All rooms have a decorative stone fireplace, TV and DVD player, small refrigerator and microwave and coffeemaker. And a very effective ceiling fan. There is, however, no hair dryer - you'll have to bring your own. We liked the touch-sensitive lamps by the bed.

Our one complaint is that the window shades leave a gap of about an inch or so between them and the window frame, allowing light from the potassium-argon parking-lot light next door to pour in. A few strategically-placed items of clothing helped somewhat.

But I was having a problem with upset stomach and acid reflux the first night, and at 2:22 a.m. my wife contacted Josh, the owner, who got out of bed and provided us with some baking soda to neutralize the acid. With customer service like that, I can overlook a little light!

We had a quiet time, no noisy (or nosy) neighbors, and at $75 per night plus TOT (mid-week rate) it was a wonderful stay, and we will definitely consider coming back soon!
Edit Remove

Room Tip: Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring rooms face away from the street; you can sometimes see squirrels and bi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAinfrequenttraveler
california
Reviewed 21 August 2011

we stayed in cabin 16 - one of the older cabins. it was so peaceful, like being in the woods and yet right in the middle of town: coffee shops, restaurants, walks, creek, etc. everything close and convenient without getting in the car. kitchen equipped with everything we needed to eat in when we didn't want to eat out. nice porch to sit and watch the stars at night, roomy grounds, comfortable lived-in cabin. this is not for the ritz crowd but if you like down home and cozy, it is perfect. and very nice people at the helm!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego area
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Idyllwild Inn is perfectly located if you want to park your car and just leisurely walk every place. Our cabin was spotlessly clean, but unfortunately the furniture was very worn and the sofa bed mattress looked dirty, needed to be replaced and was not used for sleeping.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank scicat
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Ok, Kids-- this is not the Taj Mahal... but it is a lovely, wholesome, family-owned inn where we and our closest friends have made memories to last a lifetime. Summers can be a little dusty, but December can bring blizzards, snowfall, or just a chill-- we love it anyway! A perfect place for board games, cards, Charades or Pictionary with the kids, and perfectly located for a stroll to dinner or a movie. We are 5-star hotel-lovers... but we absolutely love the Idyllwild Inn, too.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 16 November 2009

My husband & I are from Washington, DC. We stayed at Idyllwild Inn for our friends wedding! The Inn is located in the center of town. Everything was within walking distance. You must keep in mind that this is a mountain town and the Inns in the area reflects that look. It was a pleasant stay especially if you want to get away for the city hustle and bustle! Stay in one of the theme rooms..........French Country was nice!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Idyllwild
Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
#2 of 12 in Idyllwild
Idyllwild RV Resort
Idyllwild RV Resort
#1 of 12 in Idyllwild

Been to Idyllwild Inn? Share your experiences!