My husband and I spent a Saturday night in March, as a much-needed break from overwhelming work as a tax preparer and to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We booked a room after an Internet search and were enticed by the photos on the establishment's website.
However, we discovered that the photos, showing rooms which are newly decorated, fresh and clean - are either many years old or were staged. Our room - Thee Cottage - was worn, shabby and somewhat lacking in cleanliness. Throw rugs poorly hid the threadbare places in the carpeting and the bedspread was badly in need of replacement. The front door didn't close and latch properly. The backside of the shower curtain was grundgy and some of the ledges and shelves had accumulated dust. No individual shampoos were supplied - just a full size bottle used by previous guests. Fortunately, we had brought our own.
The bay window has a view - of the cabin behind and the yard between - not of the forest as we had expected. We enjoyed the coziness of a fire in the fireplace, but only a few logs were provided - enough for only one evening - more at additional charge (bring your own supply). There is no gas lighter and, as not enough paper was supplied, we had to tear up an old magazine, to be able to light the fire. The only other heat for the room is a gas wall heater which is hard to regulate and, as it was dusty and linty, was a possible fire hazard. Freeze or burn - what a choice.
The premises also show signs of age and neglect, but the property is nicely located near town shops and restaurants and as our room was in the back, it was peaceful and quiet. It could have been great had it been better maintained. Check-out was early (11 am) for a resort property and they called our room when we hadn't vacated on the dot.