“Peaceful little retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Idyllwild
Strawberry Creek Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Idyllwild B&B and Inns
SoCal
“Peaceful little retreat”
Reviewed 31 December 2008

The only thing I regret about staying at the Strawberry Creek Inn is that I was only there one night. The inn itself is so lovely, full of cute and unexpected little touches both in the common area, and in the room we were in. I'd never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, and didn't know quite what to expect, but I was very happy I took the chance and booked a night.
A note on the service: I'm a bit surprised some of the other reviewers found the innkeepers "cold." I found them welcoming and friendly. I guess if you're looking for your innkeeper to gush and fawn over you upon arrival you'd be out of luck here. Alas, Ian did not act like he was greeting his long-lost best friends when we checked in. Instead, Ian greeted us with a smile, told us where things were, how things worked, and left my boyfriend and I to unpack, unwind, and enjoy each others company.Which I appreciated.
The only minus here is that there was a DVD player, TV, satellite, and wi-fi my room, but no CD player. I couldn't play my jams!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Santa Monica, Ca
Reviewed 26 December 2008

We stayed at this Inn over Christmas. The Inn is lovely, the room was comfortable and well appointed and the breakfasts were excellent. The one negative is the total lack of any warmth on the part of the Innkeeper. (there are two, but we only met one). It almost seemed as though we were intruding on him. When we arrived, (on time) we got a very short (and well-rehearsed) speech about the Inn, keys, time for breakfast, etc. The next day we happened to be in the lounge area when other travelers arrived and they got an identical speech, also with no warmth behind it.

We've stayed at many B&B's across the country and in all of the others, the Innkeepers seemed genuinely glad to see us, gave us a tour of the place, told us something about the town or inquired if we needed dinner reservations or had any questions. That did not happen here. I don't expect the owners to entertain us or for us to invade their privacy, but given the nature of B&B's, I would expect a little more interaction.

We had a small problem in the bathroom and advised the Innkeeper. He said he would take care of it. Later he told us he would have to call someone to fix it. Since it was Christmas, I knew it would not happen that day. But the most peculiar thing was he never said anything about being sorry for the inconvenience.

The owners have you pay the bill on arrival, but they have a small basket to deposit your key upon checking out so you never see them when you're leaving and they never ask to find out if you enjoyed your stay or even to thank you for coming. It was very impersonal and quite surprising.

• Liked — the cozy room and breakfasts
  • Disliked — lack of warmth
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
So. Cal., CA
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Having spent 2 wonderful nights at this fantastic inn, I felt I had to write a review. We just came home yesterday from a weekday stay. The inn was beautifully decorated, lots of antiques and the grounds were so pretty. Lots of unexpected outdoor decorations, truly a delight!!! We stayed in Nancy's room and it was quaint with lovely antique furniture and I loved the gabled window seat. The bed was very comfy!! Loved the antique headboard!! Our breakfast was delicious and filling to start our day off. We had dinner at Cafe Aroma and Gastrognome. Both excellent, but Cafe Aroma is top notch. The cheese raviolis are to die for!!! We spent alot of time in our room just relaxing and enjoying eachothers company, not something we get to do everyday. The inn is close to Strawberry Creek . When you walk to the creek, there are lots of wild strawberry and various other berry bushes growing there. Lots of birds and wildlife to be found. The village is close by with quite a few shops and restaurants. Strawberry Creek Inn is a special place for sure, a great place to relax, lots of memories made....Thanks to Rodney and Ian for being great hosts. We will be back again.....hopefully in the spring!!!

• Liked — lovely B&B, great breakfast, lots of places for relaxing and reflecting
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Desert Hot Springs, Ca
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Stayed one night just for a quick getaway from the desert heat. Owners are friendly, however, housekeeping staff just looked away and never acknowledged you. Even heard one woman using profanity several times as she was cleaning. Grounds are a little shabby and not kept up well. Patio furniture old and dirty. Linens in the room were rather cheap and smelled of detergent.
Breakfast was good and meeting other guests is always fun. The place just didnt live up to the rave reviews I have seen others post. I feel it is overpriced.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Lack of upkeep of the property
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank patmcci
Marc K, Group General Manager at Strawberry Creek Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2017
Please note that as of mid December 2016, the inn is under new ownership and management and undergoing significant investment in improvements, upgrades and revitalization as scheduling permits between guests' stays .

We deeply apologize for your experiences with the prior ownership and management.
San Diego
Reviewed 11 June 2008

It was a perfectly delightful weekend escape from San Diego. The owners are helpful but unobtrusive, the place is loaded with charm, and the hammocks are the perfect place for an afternoon nap. If you're there on a weekend, make sure you get a dinner reservation over at Cafe Aroma for an outside table. They have live music then and the food is excellent.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
ChloeeCA
Reviewed 29 May 2008

We stayed in the Cottage at Strawberry Creek Inn. Everything was great from the moment we arrived. The Cottage was very romantic, comfortable, and charming. I must admit, shopping for a room online can be a bit risky. The Cottage is just as cute as it is on their website! I cannot describe it … everything was perfect. Enchanting little touches here and there. We paid the additional price to have breakfast at the main house (B&B) … and it was wonderful. Ian did everything to accommodate us as well as all guests. I cannot wait to go back, hopefully in winter!

• Liked — The Cottage itself
  • Disliked — ...I loved the whole experience!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
el cajon, ca
Reviewed 28 April 2008

My husband and I visited Strawberry Creek B&B for a wedding being held at the property. Our room (upstairs) was nicely appointed, but very very small. The heating system left us no choice but to leave our window open the entire time. The lack of closet makes unpacking a nightmare and stowing luggage impossible. Our hosts tried their best, but appeared to be overwhelmed by the wedding party. There clearly were not enough seats to accomadate all the guests for breakfast. Our friends were staying at the cabin on the property and we spent time on their deck. The setting is lovely, but the noise from being right on the main road into town was distracting and not restful at all.
The wedding site was in a state of disrepair and also near the noisy road. The alternative site was a concrete slab between buildings. We spent $300.00 for two nights which we felt was a little excessive.

• Liked — Clean rooms and excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — noisy location, overheated room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Strawberry Creek Inn, Owner at Strawberry Creek Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2008
Weddings at B&Bs invariably attract guests who wouldn't normally stay at a B&B. This may be the case for the guest who wrote this review, and we are sorry that what should have been a joyous occassion was not enjoyable for them.
We do, however, feel that we should clarify a couple of points for the benefit of guests who are trying to make the difficult decision of where to stay for their upcoming trips:
1) We don't have a "concrete slab between buildings" or wedding locations that are "in disrepair". For the one wedding we had during the month mentioned in this review, the bride and groom visited our site many times before the wedding date and very carefully chose where they wanted to have the wedding long in advance of any guests arriving. There was no discussion of "alternate sites" once guests arrived, since that decision was already made by the bride and groom before the wedding date.
2) We have enough breakfast seating to very comfortably accommodate the number of guests we are legally allowed to serve (ie, the maximum number of overnight guests staying with us). Any additional guests beyond this number would have been in violation of our agreement with the bride and groom, and of the California health code.
3) While the wedding in question was quite "festive" (one of the guests decided after accidently locking himself out of his room that instead of ringing the doorbell or calling our 24-hour answering service he would simply kick down the door!) we were certainly not "overwhelmed". We actually thought that overall the event was quite beautiful and guests seemed to enjoy themselves.
The only possible explanation we can come up with for the inaccurate statements in this review is that the "door-kicker" thought this was an appropriate way to retaliate for being billed for the destroyed door jamb (he really thought he shouldn't be responsible for it. In his words, "I had to keep my girlfriend warm". I must admit I kind of admire the chivalry, but not enough to justify the destruction of my home and business!
Whatever the motivation, it is unfortunate that our attempts, and those of a beautiful couple starting a new life together, to create a memorable experience ended in disappointment for ANY of the couple's carefully chosen friends and family.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Idyllwild
Desert Riviera Hotel
#2 of 13 in Idyllwild
Idyllwild RV Resort
Idyllwild RV Resort
#1 of 13 in Idyllwild

Been to Strawberry Creek Inn? Share your experiences!