“Nice Resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Schaumburg, IL
“Nice Resort”
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I spent 3 nights at the Hyatt for a business conference. The resort is well maintained. The rooms are large with a sunken living area (couch, desk, TV). The bathrooms have seperate shower stalls and bathtubs along with granite counters. Rooms also have either a small balcony or porch.

There are pools for general use, small children, and adults only. All are nice. There was some work being done in the hallways, but the noise and paint smells didn't enter my room.

As all resorts do, everything had an extra fee, including internet access. Self parking, however, was free.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank KJUW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Korean first
Upland, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2008

What a nice surprise! After reading some negative reviews about this hotel, I was concerned about our rooms that were immediately charged to our credit card (we named our own price through Priceline.com). The hotel's website photos were gorgeous, so I was thinking it may turn out to be nice. This hotel was the perfect place to stay for a few nights with our small children, ages 3 and 5. Our goal was to have a nice, clean hotel with many amenities, a great pool and local to restaurants, stores, etc. Overall, we were very pleased. All hotel rooms are within easy walking distance to the pools (very helpful when hauling loads of pool accessories and small children), the rooms had large bathtubs and separate showers, lots of space for the kids to run around and refrigerators in each room. We were also very close to the self-parking lot. We didn't have to walk far to anything which made transitions easy with the kids. The hotel has a camp for kids. I look forward to trying it in a few years when my youngest is five. The pools were wonderful, especially the wading pool and the nearby waterslide pool. Perfect waterslide for little ones. It is not to big and circles itself once. Little ones as small as one and a half were doing it alone! My kids couldn't get enough. The adult pool, is far from the children's pool and is quite luxurious. We look forward to trying it out on a return trip when extended family are with us to take the kids. At twilight and in the am, bunnies come out on the edge of the golf greens. Little ones love to walk and look for them. Some reviews stated the hotel seemed to need renovations. The carpet and paint in halls were bad, but the rooms were super clean. We thought the hotel was beautiful and sophisticated. Parts of the hotel seemed to be going through renovations, so I am sure all will be upgraded soon. Overall we were so happy with this hotel. It is perfect for our family!

• Liked — Pools are great and close to all rooms
  • Disliked — No playground
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank mmm10
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I was able to get an amazing rate for this resort. Everyone that worked there was super friendly and helpful. The grounds were clean. The rooms are clean, but not totally modern yet. I loved the adult only pool- this is such a nice thing to have when you dont travel with kids. It doesnt make you travel with other people's kids. Very relaxing and accommodating.

• Liked — The adult only pool
  • Disliked — The box TV.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Central Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2008

My wife and I just got back from spending 3 days at the Grand Hyatt. We played golf at Indian Wells, went to the Casino, ordered room service, watched the NBA playoffs in the lounge, had the breakfast buffet, attended two banquet functions, sat out by the pool so we did just about everything and we really had a nice time. The staff was friendly and we'll probably return next year. Special thanks to Niki at the front desk.

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — A/C noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank FNC058
Portland, ME
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We checked in on Saturday for our one year annivesary and the only request we had was that our room not overlook a kids pool. Well, we got the room, on the second floor, directly overlooking the kiddie pool, not just the big one, but the one with the water slide. Hmmmm...thanks for the that. The room was okay, the carpet was a bit stained and the patio was just a concrete slab with a couple plastic chairs. We headed directly to the "adults" only pool, could not find a single place to sit. Not one employee offered any assistance, they just stood around. We just sat on the concrete wall for awhile until someone left. We then had to clear off the chairs and pile the used tiles on the ground...where they stayed until we left at 6pm. There was lots of old cups, trash and whatnot that could have been cleaned up. It was very loud and if I had checked in for a week to relax, I would have been checking right back out. It was anything but.
I must say, the food was very good. We had an excellent dinner at Lantana on Sat. night, the service was just ok. I had to light our candle at the table and couln't find our server when I liked another glass of wine with dinner. (Expect more when you are paying $40 for a NY strip steak)
Sunday the pool scene was much nicer. Granted we go to the pool at 9am and settled in for the day. It was a mellower scene, thankfully. I checked us out over the phone and confirmed all charges. I think the $18 p/night "resort fee" is BS. Isn't and shouldn't that be included in the rate? Anyway, all the charges made sense until I checked my bank account this morning. Of course it is over charged by about $70.00. I have been trying to call the hotel for about 45 minutes now and it just rings and rings, they must be at lunch. Very frustrated.
To give you a breakdown, my mom got us the room for our 1 yr. anniversary. It was advertised on Travelocity for $89 p/night with $50 for a weekend stay ($139). The total fee is actually $189 after taxes and the "resort fee" and don't forgot to add in whatever they feel like tacking on the bill (for us, the extra $70). So a one night stay actually cost us $259.00 (not including our dinner, lunch and poolside drinks). Not a deal at all for a place that claim to be 4 stars. I have stayed at alot of places that are 4 stars and this should easily have been a 3, at the most. There are much nicer places to stay in Palm Desert and beware of any "deals", no such thing.

• Stayed May 2008
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I had the urge for an impulse trip, wanted to stay at a lovely resort in a room that was not just another average hotel room (I get enough of those when I travel for business). Since my son was at his dad's house for the Memorial Day weekend, I spent about a week surfing the web, trying to find that "perfect" combination of resort/spa: 1. relatively close to Orange County, CA; 2. Affordable and 3. Luxurious.

Ha! Good luck with that, right? Especially on Memorial Day weekend!

Well, I lucked out BIG time this weekend. FIrst of all, I took my chances for the first time ever with the Priceline concept - actually booked my trip on Hotwire, but same idea. I chose to go for a 4-star hotel in Indian Wells, and there are not too terribly many of them, so when my price came up at $169 for one night, I decided to go for it. I had taken my son to the Esmeralda a few weeks back, and I knew that $169 was quite a good price for that class of hotel, especially for a holiday.

So I was quite excited when I booked the trip and discovered I had landed on the Hyatt Grand Champions. I knew exactly where it was - the Esmeralda's address was still in my "Recent" addresses on my GPS, and the two resorts are a hundred yards apart.

Things didn't start off so great, however - I was amazed at the lack of self-parking, especially compared to the Esmeralda. The valet parking is $22 a night and it almost seems like they force you to take this option given how few parking spots there were.

So after fruitlessly driving around the small lot several times I gave up and pulled into the Registration area, intending to check into my room and then try again. However, a very friendly valet suggested to me that I could self-park on the top floor of the parking garage. The parking garage with the 20-foot high sign reading "Valet Parking ONLY". I'm rather averse to blatantly breaking rules that are posted in 20-foot high letters, though, so I didn't take him up on it.

At the Registration desk I got a bit frustrated. There seem to be a lot of Phillipino employees at this resort, and the one checking me in had a really thick accent and a quiet voice. The combination made me end up asking her to repeat just about everything she said to me, two or three times at least.

Anyway, she was nice enough, and proceeded to take my information. This is where I struck gold. She very casually, very nonchalantly asked me if I wouldn't mind staying in one of the villas since there were no King beds available in the main hotel right then. I was like, I guess so - are they recently remodeled? (thinking to myself, I really don't want to be stuck in a dark, dingy, musty old room again like the Fairfield Inn next to DIsneyland last month with my son). She said they were new - four months old. Oh, okay, sounds good to me!

So she gave me the room cards and gave me directions. I had no idea, wouldn't find out for a few more minutes, what a mega upgrade she had just so casually given to me.

But first, parking. Well, it was really my lucky day now. I scored a primo spot, right in the front row by the spa and the hotel. So it was an easy walk with my bags through the resort area, past the Oasis adults-only pool, to the villas section.

I opened up the door to my villa and was delighted to see a lovely room, flat screen tv on the wall, beautiful bed, ceiling fan, and a fridge for my bottle of water. However, the fun was just beginning. I walked over to the bathroom and a huge grin took over my face. The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom, and it was GORGEOUS! Stone flooring, fancy sinks, counter, faucets, etc. Beautiful huge shower with heavy glass, frameless door and fancy tiling, and an amazing sunken tub complete with orchid on the ledge and a decorative container full of bath salts.

Then I glanced at some of the brochures in the room and read something about how I could have the butler draw my bath and turn down my bed. At that point I realized I had scored big-time, so I pulled out my iPhone and, using the free wi-fi reserved exclusively for villa customers, checked out the cost of reserving a villa on a non-holiday weekend in the future.

$869!!! OMG! Of course, that could have been one of the fancier villas with its own patio complete with private bbq and jacuzzi, but still. I had paid only $169, far less than most of the poor slobs who were slumming it up in the main hotel building, and I was living it up in a luxurious, brand new, upgraded-to-the-max room.

Well, the rest of my stay lived up to the lovely experience with my villa. I scored a great table outside at the bar that evening after tooling around the neighborhood on the resort bicycle (not a great bike, kind of bent funny) and had a couple of martinis while basking in the late afternoon sun and cool desert breezes. At breakfast the next morning I asked the hostess if there was any room at a table out on the patio for one person and she promptly gave me the best table on the patio! She said I deserved to be treated well because I was traveling alone! I told her that as a single mother who often takes myself out and on trips by myself, this was quite the opposite of my normal experience. We had a nice chat - her name was Martha and she has 6 kids!

Before breakfast I had worked out in the fitness center. Wow. I got there at 6am and rode the stationary bike that was 12 inches away from the open french doors, looking out over the pond and feeling more cool desert breezes on my while I exercised. This was the most tranquil, pretty setting I have ever had during a workout.

After breakfast I wandered through the spa, and sat by the fountain pool for a while. I had brought my book with me but didn't open it; just lounged on the incredibly comfortable chaise, thoroughly enjoying my surprise luxe getaway.

The downside to this wonderful mini-vacation was that I am "ruined" for the regular hotel rooms there now - how could I ever be happy in a standard room after having lived the life of a rich person for a day?!!!

• Liked — The free villa upgrade
  • Disliked — the bathroom could have been a little cleaner - mostly very clean but several long hairs near tub
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank sherimba03
San Diego
Reviewed 24 May 2008

The service was great, the hotel is nice. We stayed on the 3rd floor with golf course view. It was nice but not spectacular. The first floor of the hotel (which we used once or twice to get to other areas of the property) was disgusting. The carpet was nasty and the hotel doors were dirty. But the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors are very clean and nice. Our room was nice, nothing over the top. The mattress was soft, lumpy and unconfortable BUT they replaced every room with brand new mattresses the day we checked out. The hotel was pretty empty; we felt like we were the only people there. Not a whole lot going on the days we were there and that is exactly how we like it. The louge was nice, food and drinks were good.
We did some golfing next door at Indian Wells Golf Resort. The courses were in prestine condition and the service was TERRIFIC. The new clubhouse is really nice. We would definitely stay at this resort again.

• Liked — The staff service
  • Disliked — The spa charging an automatic 18% gratutity.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
ServiceManager44600, manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 May 2008
Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding our hotel and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

We apologize for any disappointment you experienced with the appearance of the hotel.
We are currently undergoing some improvements to our hotel including new hallway carpeting and wall coverings, installation of the Hyatt Grand Bed in all rooms, and LCD televisions.

We halted the projects temporarily over the sold -out Memorial Day weeknd to minimize any inconvenience to our guests. I hope you will have the opportunity to enjoy these upgrades on your next visit with us .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!