“Knowing What to Expect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntington Beach, California
“Knowing What to Expect”
Reviewed 5 August 2008

It was to be a getaway weekend for three couples. Sneak out of work early on Friday, spend Saturday with the guys golfing and gals spa-ing, grab a nice steak dinner Saturday night and then head for home on Sunday.

I spent considerable time on-line looking for the right combination of both golf and spas available during the Palm Springs off-season. I had attended a conference at this resort three years ago, had played one of the two courses and knew they had better than average spa services. In order to get the best of the bargain, though, I had to book the "splash" package the first night entitling us to a 25% discount at the spa & restaurants and a "golfers" package the second night to incorporate the lowest rate on the golf course. That double deal seemed to be our undoing as repeatedly reservations (when I called to confirm) the registration people (when we checked in) and eventually the computer (when it locked us out of our rooms at 3pm on Saturday) couldn't keep up with what we were doing.

In all the confusion when the gals went to have their spa treatment they were told they would have to return to the front desk to get a voucher if they were to obtain the 25% discount. When the guys made it out to the clubhouse we too were told that we needed a voucher but rather than walk back to the hotel agreed to "charge" the green's fees (because the golf course is operated by the City of Indian Wells, not the hotel) with the understanding the hotel would have to reconcile the charges later.
The golf course, recently redone, was tough but fair and certainly a handful on a 107 degree day. They supplied us with unending water bottles both on the course and via a special cart. A very pleasant experience.

As for the spa, two of the gals said the massages were the best of their lives, and these are two gals who should know. The gals even stayed in the women's lounge in their bathrobes to have a light, healthy lunch. And in the case of my wife, who I hadn't seen since 7:30 am when I left for golf, she did not reappear until shortly after 4 pm following a 3:00 pedicure (by which time I had already switched the rooms keys after being locked out).

We used the bar/lounge to meet and have a drink but otherwise did not use the convenient cafe which served coffee or their high end restaurant, Lantana. When it became apparent we had lost the girls for the day the guys did make an effort to go to the adult pool (by now 2:00pm on a hot, hot day) and found no room. So we retired to the pool bar to have a quick salad and a drink. [It looked like the family pool would have been a better bet if we wanted to get wet.]

The rooms were comfortable. We were on the fourth floor overlooking the golf course which was nice. The combination shower and a bathtub was convenient. The noise was minimal and blanketed by the air-conditioner which, given the outside temperature, ran nearly non-stop.

Yes, valet parking is $22.00 but they were quick to go grab something (my hat) without fuss and without having to bring the car all the way up. Yes, there is a $18.00 "resort fee" but we were staying in a four-star hotel for $149.00 a night off-season so we weren't going to make a fuss about that, especially when we knew about it going in (thanks Tripadvisor!).

I will certainly go back. It had more amenities than we ended up using (bikes, walking paths, restaurants, work-out room...pools!) but it was, even with the hiccups, a very pleasant stay supported by first class service.

• Liked — Attentive staff, even if they screwed part of it up
  • Disliked — Their inability to comprehend at a human level and at a computer level their rate schedules
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KenVicLee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I travel a good deal on business and always use the Hyatt Hotel chain. Since my work was primarily in the Rancho Mirage area and as there was a Hyatt nearby, I decided to book and check it out. If you have been to the Venetian in Las Vegas, then these rooms have EXACTLY the same floor plan. Great bedroom, bathroom and sunken living room. As a Hyatt Platinum Passhort holder, I socred a balcony overlooking the Indian Wells Golf Course - LUSH! The most amazing thing about Hyatt is they do not forget about adult guests - and the relaxation they need versus activity for the kids. Yes, there is a pool slide for the kiddies, but what an amazing OTHER pool is available! The Oasis Adult Pool is just the thing for relaxation without splash, screams and general horseplay that kiddies are so want to do while vacationing with parents usually oblivious as they are trying to relax themselves. Kudos to Hyatt for a wonderful resort. I could work all day and come home to peace and quiet.

• Liked — The separate Oasis Adult Pool
  • Disliked — Distance from self parking to the Lobby
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank samsen
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 30 July 2008

There is so much to say! I will start with the rooms. We were informed that not all rooms had queen beds over doubles but we requested that ours did and got exactly what we asked for. The rooms are amazing. They are so spacious. The room is divided in half by a step down and beds are on each side of the room with lots of desks, storage and chairs spread around. The bathroom is huge with a giant vanity and a separate shower and bath. Everything is extremely clean and the air conditioning works great although like most hotels it is a bit loud as it kicks on and off throughout the night. But nothing to complain about.

The pools are quite spread out which is great. We passed up the two giant family pools to enter the adult oasis pool and were so impressed by how quiet it was and how even at a popular time we were easily able to find 4 super cushy lounge chairs to take over. My only complaint about the pool is that the water tasted very salty and there was a film on it from all the sunscreen and lots of dead bugs floating in it. But it sure was nice to go for a dip when the weather outside was 110!

We did massages at the spa as well. We opted for the hot stone massage since the price was the same as the swedish and while the facilities were very nice, it was too hot to enjoy most of the outdoor parts and I really felt the hot stone was overrated. It took too much time to warm the stones in between. I'd stick with the swedish next time.

We had breakfast at the main dining room and I'd definintely recommend splurging on the breakfast buffet. It's a good price compared to the menu and you get a great selection. For dinner one night we ate at the piano bar which has a small menu but everything we tasted was delicious. We had lunch by the pool courtesy of the roadrunner cafe which was decent food but the drinks were very expensive and the margaritas we had were not very tasty.

What really made this hotel someplace exceptional that I would return to again was the service of the staff. Everyone I met or talked to was incredibly friendly and accommodating. When we asked for towels they were at our door in less than five minutes. When we asked the valet guys about how good the Esmerelda's bar was at the hotel next door they offered to drive us over in their golf cart. When I asked the front desk staff for some restaurant recommendations and told them what we were looking for they spent awhile with us telling us options and finding us the perfect place to eat off site. (Highly recommend the Cliffhouse Bar right down the street! Thanks Mark!)

We came for a Bachelorette Party for a friend and had an amazing and relaxing time. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Since we came at on off time (heat of summer!) we took advantage of the hotel's online summer splash rate. 25 percent off all spa treatments and onsite dining. I am still in shock about how much money this ended up saving us! We booked directly through the site which had the best rates a few weeks ago. I LOVED this hotel.

• Liked — Service, rooms, and peaceful pool
  • Disliked — Price of meals in main dining room and hot stone massage
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank wildarieschild
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We had a good time at this hotel. They are renovating so some of the areas were closed or had a little mess but very little noise.

The spa is very nice, a little pricey.

Really nice food in the restaurant.

The pool area is very nice with several semi-private areas to be in and it works for adults as well as children.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — Renovation
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Schaumburg, IL
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I spent 3 nights at the Hyatt for a business conference. The resort is well maintained. The rooms are large with a sunken living area (couch, desk, TV). The bathrooms have seperate shower stalls and bathtubs along with granite counters. Rooms also have either a small balcony or porch.

There are pools for general use, small children, and adults only. All are nice. There was some work being done in the hallways, but the noise and paint smells didn't enter my room.

As all resorts do, everything had an extra fee, including internet access. Self parking, however, was free.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank KJUW
Upland, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2008

What a nice surprise! After reading some negative reviews about this hotel, I was concerned about our rooms that were immediately charged to our credit card (we named our own price through Priceline.com). The hotel's website photos were gorgeous, so I was thinking it may turn out to be nice. This hotel was the perfect place to stay for a few nights with our small children, ages 3 and 5. Our goal was to have a nice, clean hotel with many amenities, a great pool and local to restaurants, stores, etc. Overall, we were very pleased. All hotel rooms are within easy walking distance to the pools (very helpful when hauling loads of pool accessories and small children), the rooms had large bathtubs and separate showers, lots of space for the kids to run around and refrigerators in each room. We were also very close to the self-parking lot. We didn't have to walk far to anything which made transitions easy with the kids. The hotel has a camp for kids. I look forward to trying it in a few years when my youngest is five. The pools were wonderful, especially the wading pool and the nearby waterslide pool. Perfect waterslide for little ones. It is not to big and circles itself once. Little ones as small as one and a half were doing it alone! My kids couldn't get enough. The adult pool, is far from the children's pool and is quite luxurious. We look forward to trying it out on a return trip when extended family are with us to take the kids. At twilight and in the am, bunnies come out on the edge of the golf greens. Little ones love to walk and look for them. Some reviews stated the hotel seemed to need renovations. The carpet and paint in halls were bad, but the rooms were super clean. We thought the hotel was beautiful and sophisticated. Parts of the hotel seemed to be going through renovations, so I am sure all will be upgraded soon. Overall we were so happy with this hotel. It is perfect for our family!

• Liked — Pools are great and close to all rooms
  • Disliked — No playground
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank mmm10
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I was able to get an amazing rate for this resort. Everyone that worked there was super friendly and helpful. The grounds were clean. The rooms are clean, but not totally modern yet. I loved the adult only pool- this is such a nice thing to have when you dont travel with kids. It doesnt make you travel with other people's kids. Very relaxing and accommodating.

• Liked — The adult only pool
  • Disliked — The box TV.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!