“Service is sketchy”

Indian Wells Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Returned with the family to Indian Wells. Check in was uneventful 2 people just standing at desk looking super bored. We dropped our bags and went to the pool which had NOT been picked up. Left over used towels & left over food garbage on tables. I guess management cant be bothered to lower themselves even on slow days to walk around and make the place presentable. --Our room was the usual basic room. Carpets were rather dirty in the room as well as the halls. Not sure why this resort wouldn't use this time to clean things up during low season. We have enjoyed coming here with the kids in the past as it is very affordable and located in a great area. But I think we will be looking else where mostly because I really don't want to argue with someone just to use a Groupon that has expired. Groupon makes it clear you never lose the original $ paid. The hotel wanted to charge me full rack rate not including the $28 resort fee. They are not a resort, not if they can't be bother to pick up a few cups and towels left behind. Staff needs to go.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Christine92057

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked this hotel through Groupon because it was affordable and very near the friends we went to visit. Although the rate we got was $49, the resort fees and taxes doubled that rate. At $95 it was still a fair price for what we got though. The hotel, although redone since its heyday, still seems to scream 1950's. The shape of the room is old fashioned (bathroom in front by the door, not much sink space), but the furniture was very nice, the room was very large, the closet was huge, the table and chairs were really nice to have and since we were on the ground floor, we had a sitting area right outside the sliding doors which overlooked the pool. The pool was large and had a lot of little coves so you could keep your party separate from the middle of the pool where the kids were. It was too hot to sit outside but our other room's view overlooking the pool and golf course was really quite nice. I thought the free breakfast was just fine - waffles, oatmeal, continental breakfast stuff, or you could choose one item from the menu. The burrito I got was excellent actually. The staff we interacted with were all very nice from the front desk, to the bartender to housekeeping. One negative I'd have to say, and I attribute this to the fact that July is off season for Palm Springs and we were there mid-week, is that the hotel seemed to roll up the sidewalks at 8:00. No restaurant, no bar, no entertainment. Maybe during peak season this hotel would be more fun, but for our purposes it was just right and we had a good time there.

Room Tip: Lower floors facing pool have a nice sitting area outside the sliding glass door. The rooms at the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa R
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was a pleasant surprise for a short weekend get away. The price was great. room was clean, and the pool very clean as well as very refreshing. The staff was very accommodating and treated us with respect and friendliness. I would recommend this hotel for a good alternative to the more expensive hotels in the area..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Pete D, Front Office Manager at Indian Wells Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for the great review Tony! We are so happy that you had a good stay with us and found it to be a good value for your dollar. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My job requires that I travel extensively, both domestically and internationally. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at is the Indian Wells Resort Hotel (“Hotel”).

In May of 2014, I made the mistake of staying at the Hotel near Palm Springs for a long weekend. I arrived on Friday afternoon and was eaten alive by bed bugs by Monday. As I always do, I checked the bedding and mattress at the Hotel for bed bugs when I checked in. Yet, by the time I arrived home on Monday, I had hundreds of bites (turning into welts) on my arms, legs and face. And this was only the beginning of my horrible experience with the Hotel. By the time I finished TRYING to get them to reimburse me for my expenses in dealing with this nasty situation, I felt bitten again by their lack of response.

Once home, I took every precaution by unpacking my bags outside and laundering all of my clothing in hot water and in a hot dryer. I visited my dermatologist who prescribed several medications, including one for my face. I called the Hotel and was put in voicemail, where I left the manager a message that I had bed bug bites from his Hotel. He later called me back and said they had found bed bugs under the box springs of the bed I slept in. He offered to refund the cost of our stay, which I appreciated.

At that time, I did not truly understand the severity of my bites. Three days after returning home, I woke up with a swollen face from the bites. Concerned, I went to the emergency room near my home. The doctor there did an extensive examination and then reached out to my dermatologist. They put me on a steroid for a week to help with the itching and swelling. With these bites came a great deal of pain and suffering, as well as emotional distress, from worrying that I had brought the bugs into my home. A professional eventually checked my home and I ended up having to throw away my suitcases from the trip.

My bites did not go away for over a month. I had to go back for a second dosage of steroids and missed several days of work due to the severity of the bites. To add insult to injury, the Hotel denied my claim before I even submitted it! What a total lack of customer service or professional consideration!

Feeling utter frustration, I worked with my attorney to compile all of my actual out-of-pocket costs and submitted my claim, foregoing any attempt to seek reimbursement for my lost wages and my pain and suffering. The Hotel eventually paid for only some of my medical expenses and not for the suitcases I had to throw away—covering only $191.00 of the total $522.00 cost caused by their bed bugs. This is incredibly disappointing as I would not have incurred any of these costs, or the related distress, had I not stayed at the Indian Wells Resort Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank Suz4417
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This Hotel was just average. I could discuss in great detail the very average amenities, like the poor food, the lackluster service, the non-existence of any spa facilities, etc. I'd rather focus on the one truly positive aspect of the hotel – the nightly entertainment. The retro 1950s lounge acts that the hotel has are very entertaining and fun! I don't consider myself an old-timer who loves doo-wap music, but I loved the singers and the dancing instructors that the hotel booked for these events. It's alotta fun for couples, especially if you can appreciate the kitchy musical acts and the entertainment of the Lucy and Desi years. Having said that, I may never come back. Entertainment aside, I'd rather stay at a true resort that has ALL of the positive amenities that they offer, like spa treatments, all access bars, great restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else, not at the hotel. The food at the hotel is average at best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goodguydude

We do try to be a good value for all travelers. Our chef constantly is working on changing the menu items and also introduce some special items. Thank you for your review and I will be forwarding this to our food and beverage manager, as well as the chef.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The place is NOT a resort. Food was awful and overpriced. Free breakfast was mediocre at best although restaurant staff were outstanding and tries hard to make experience the best. Pool was ok bit where was the bar between 1-4? Ok, but not great. Staying across the street next time.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Ramona B

Our food and beverage manager and chef meet all the time and present new menu items. Sorry about the bar hours, but during the week we do have limited hours at the bar since it is summer and not much occupancy during the week. Our bar is open all day on weekends.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Like I said this hotel is not perfect but what hotel did we were greeted by to warming gentleman joseph and David who treated us like family these two guys were very funny and very nice also had the pleasure of having our bags delivered to our room by a very nice gentleman named guy the prices are very reasonable for the room that you get yes it's not the Hilton but it's a very nice room for the price we paid it was an incredible value beautiful lobby beautiful pool area and as for other reviewers who talk about hidden fees when we made our reservation price line.com it's very clearly stated that there was a $28 resort fee so there are no deceptive practices here in my mind give Indian Wells resort hotel a chance you won't be disappointed

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank theusen2000

Thank you for your positive feedback. I will definitely forward the compliments to the above mentioned employees. We pride ourselves on having a friendly staff that truly cares about the guest experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your future return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Homewood Suites by Hilton La Quinta
Embassy Suites by Hilton La Quinta Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Indian Wells Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!