“THIS HOTEL IS A RIP OFF”
Review of Royal Plaza Inn

Royal Plaza Inn
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Indio
Whittier, California
“THIS HOTEL IS A RIP OFF”
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I paid in advance for a 1 nt stay w/friends. Left the rm at 11am. Called & chkd out. The following day they charge my card $110. Their answer, WE NEVER LEFT. Claimed that I still had stuff in the room when checked 3 HOURS after I left. They refuse to refund me my money nor do they care about the situation at hand. When asked for them to review their video the response was we dont have video in that hall. THIS IS A SCAM.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 February 2011

In January we were playing in the Lacrosse tournament over at the Empire polo grounds and we stayed at Royal Plaza Inn for the first time. Normally we are in one of the brand hotels in Palm Desert. To my surprise Royal Plaza offered us a great low rate despite being the nearest hotel to the Polo fields which resulted in a hugh savings for all the parents and coaches. Also, Both the front desk staff and housekeeping went out of their way to cater for our smallest and sometimes unsual needs. In short, we were treated like one of their family. This makes a big difference over the expensive brand hotels. Despite being an older property the rooms were clean and spacious. We will definitely be there again next year in bigger groups."

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I stay at this hotel frequently. My business is usually at the court house in Indio, CA. The court house is only a couple of blocks away. The location is perfect, is on the main, major, street in the desert that crosses all the cities from Indio all the way to Palm Springs. The service that I get is excellent, nothing has change since the first time i stayed here. I've stayed in different rooms and all of them have been confortable. Now that I am a regular, I just call and a room is reserve no matter at what time, the night agent and.or Manager are always available. On several occasions they have allowed me to stay a couple of hours more after check out. I strongly recommend this hotel for its location and the flexibility that the service extends to you when needed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I thought these types of motels only existed in movies - the terrifying, slasher-type of movies.

When my boss and I arrived, we were greeted at the front desk with a welcoming, "What do you want?" We got our rooms on the first floor with a beautiful view of a barbed-wire covered brick wall with a plastic bag full of dog feces on our back "patio". The sliding glass door would not close all the way and was held in place by a flimsy chain.

The comforter of my bed was splattered with some black substance (possibly blood - by this point, it was completely conceivable) and the floor was coated with a fine layer of crushed animal crackers. The room did not have a coffee maker, although they threatened to charge me for one if it happened to be missing from my room at the end of the stay. There was no control over the heat/cooling system. The front office controlled whether or not the "heat" or the "cool" tube was being fed to your room - archaic. If you happened to get cold, they supplied a small space heater. If you were too warm, you could open the sliding glass door and risk getting shot or raped.

There were three good things about this hotel: 1. It was only two minutes away from the Empire Polo Club where we were working all weekend. 2. It got us out of Indio to explore civilization in the beautiful Palm Desert that's located twenty minutes away, just so we would spend the least amount of time possible in the disgusting hotel. 3. The woman at the reception SMILED at us once! It looked as if it pained her to do it, and it only lasted half of a second, but I'm fairly certain it was a smile!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BexterB

Travellers are raving about these Indio hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My husband booked two rooms for myself and a couple of teenagers for sporting event at the Polo fields up the road, not until we checked in did I read the reviews here on TA. Most were either very good, 5 star or very bad 1 star.... how could this be? Well in a nut shell:
The good: Nice customer service, though the manager obviously has a very strong business personality and I could instantly see how she could rub people the wrong way... aside from that I was greeted with a smile, and even offered late check out when I mentioned the boys needed to shower after their game.
The location is along the main business / restaurant district and there is a ton of places within walking distance, Panda Express, Togos, Starbucks, Donut shop, to just name a few. Right next door is an amazing restaurant named Cactus jacks that is very popular with the locals, packed on Sat. for dinner, and the parking lot was full again for Sunday morning breakfast... I had the entree salad with steak and it was the best salad ever.
My bed was comfortable and I slept great. The room came equipt with a basket full of sample toiletries including toothpaste, shampoos, facial cleansing wipes, and even a
fancy razor.
OK the bad: No getting around it - this place is kinda spooky. A bad version of a 70's style motel six. Our room had a small patio overlooking the side parking lot, complete with barbed wire fencing. The pool was ice cold, but even if it was heated was not inviting. In our hotel room was a polite sign threatening to charge items missing from the room - pillows $25. Clock radio $25- ours had no clock so I had to ask the manager to make sure I wasn't charged. Although the bed was comfy - I like firm, the comforters were old and dingy. The armoire for the tv had a built in fridge that was barely cold, and only held drink cans. Glad I didn't bring any bulky snaks. (It had a Sheraton logo inside the door, second hand furniture).
I can see how the reviews were all over the map. If you stay here - come prepared and set your expectations low so you won't be disappointed, and eat next door Cactus Jacks comfort food to help.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank parka
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We were looking for a nice clean place to stay in Indio on a budget and the
Royal Plaza Inn fit our bill nicely. They had very comfortable rooms with
the best amenity basket I've ever seen in a motel. The pool and Jacuzzi
was a fun and restaurant was a real treat.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1954
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I am am member of Los Medicos Voladores (The Flying Doctors) and have participated in the bi-annual Coachella Valley Unified School District's Health Fair for the past 5 years. I have always stayed at the Royal Plaza Inn, and have had the pleasure of staying in many different rooms; upstairs with a balcony, downstairs near my car, and poolside. Each and every one of these stays was a treat. The rooms are the largest you will find anywhere, with large televisions, refrigerators, hairdryers, and microwaves. There is always a basket of goodies waiting (samples of various toiletries, as well as the usual hair supplies, and a razor!), the rooms are spotless, the pool is clean and the hot tub is hot! The staff is professional and efficient, there is always coffee in the morning, and the restaurant next door serves the best Eggs Benedict on earth! I would stay there any time I am traveling along Highway 10 or in the area for an event. This is the best deal anywhere near Palm Springs, and not far from the Casino! Enjoy your visit!

• Stayed October 2010