“inexpensive, clean”

Indio Super 8 and Suites
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Indio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We came through here for a one night stay. I had read some reviews that were unfavorable, but some that were good. I usually like to stay at Super 8 motels when traveling because they USUALLY are pretty decent...big mistake on this one! The poor reviews are not an exaggeration...and this is from someone who usually stays at this type of lodging.

First off, we arrived at about 10:30. Greeting us at our door is one large smashed cockroach and one lively one. Oh well... hopefully they stay outside right? Hospitality consists of two water bottles for our enjoyment, however they charge you $1.50 if you drink one...get real! Anyway, we entered our very warm and muggy room and figured...they save money by not turning the a/c on. I can deal with that, so first thing we turn on the a/c. It hums and every few minutes it turns off. Our room is not getting cooler. I think the fan wasn't blowing so as soon as the unit got too cold, it would shut of. Now 11:30, a call to the front desk and they tell us that they will send someone to LOOK at it. Instead I go to the front office and tell them that we are tired and don't have time for a repair person in the middle of the night and demand a different room. She comes to verify the a/c truly is not working, because she isn't sure I know how to work an a/c unit. Then gives us another room. (BTW...While waiting for a new room, another guest comes down the stairs and seeing the front desk employee with me, he tells her that his a/c is not working...hmmm, I see a trend.) I am pretty sure the new room was a "Pet Friendly" one they advertise. We had no pet, but we got to smell the previous guests' pets.

Oh well...we are tired and are going to ignore the pet smell. Crawling into bed, I noticed the blankets are full of pills...you know how the old, old felt like blankets get. The top sheet has a cigarette burn hole in it. Now, this hotel has not allowed smoking since 2000...as per the sign in the front lobby...how old does that make this sheet?? If the bedding could only talk...wait....I don't want to know.

Oh well...at least it was cool. I got up that morning, slightly grumpy from not getting sufficient sleep...because of the no a/c and room changing thing. But we get breakfast...I love breakfast...only not here. Yes it is Continental...pure starch!! No fruit, very bad juice and SKIM milk for your cereal. I looked at the selection...white bread (I guess for toast), frozen waffles, little cinnamon rolls like you get in the clear plastic packaging at the grocery store, some oatmeal packets and 2 kinds of cereal...frosted flakes and special K. It took me a while to decide what I could tolerate and decided on frosted flakes, but when I poured the skim milk on them, I grossed out and just tossed the whole thing in the trash. For heaven's sake at least give the people some 2% or better milk...it doesn't even cost more...unless it wasn't skim and it was watered down instead. I guess that would save them money.

Bottom line...AVOID!!! I would have gladly paid an extra $20 for a decent place to stay and perhaps a little better breakfast....if I had only known. There is no pride in management of this motel. It is a flop house...and for the $68 I paid and expensive flop house at that. I know $68 is not much...but it is for this place. I have stayed at Indian Wells Resort in the past and it was WAAAAYYYY better for just a little bit more. I wish I had stayed there this time. Consider yourself warned!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robin L
Lemoore, California, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Went for Coachella this year. Knew coming in that I wasn't getting a 4 seasons or Raddisson, but wasn't too disappointed with what I received. Driving up is a lil weird because the hotel itself is sort of hidden behind some stuff. You see the big Super 8 sign from the street pretty well, but gotta pass a few businesses before seeing the hotel. Pulling in, hotel looked clean and organized. Once we got to the rooms, they looked nice and didn't have any funky smell. The beds could be more comfy, but again you get what you pay for. The only thing that had me mad, was the construction going on across the way. After being at a festival until 2 am... the last thing i wanna hear is a jackhammer destroying concrete at 7 am.

Room Tip: If construction is still goin on... a north or east facing room are best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
indioman, General Manager at Indio Super 8 and Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review. Appreciate your good comments. We do have 3 types of rooms. Standard, Mini suites and Suites. All are recently decorated.
Yes we had a new building being constructed near our hotel. City of Indio has restriction of any one starting to build before 9AM in our area. Also on weekends it is not permitted. I will certainly bring it up to the attention of Mayor and City Manager. Building is now completed and open.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indio
Royal Plaza Inn
Indio Travelodge
#13 of 16 in Indio
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Indio
Embassy Suites by Hilton La Quinta Hotel & Spa

Been to Indio Super 8 and Suites? Share your experiences!