“Good hotel”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Inglewood
Manchester UK
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 11 October 2005

Motel 6 up to standard, usual 2 queen beds room ideal for family of 2 Adults + 2 kids, nice pool; close to airport, I guess 3 miles, but not much noise; excellent Mexican restaurant a few doors up (even our American hosts were impressed by the food); only drawback was a misunderstanding with Reception about the free shuttle bus to the airport - it only runs up to 1PM and then from 5PM. We had understood it to be available throughout (our flight departed at 5PM), so we stood like plonkers outside the hotel at 2PM waiting for the bus However, in fairness to M6, they arranged and paid for a taxi to take us to the airport for our flight. So top marks for customer service.
A very good budget family hotel. Excellent room rate. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank happy_families_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 25 September 2005

Inside the hotel, you could be at any high-rise airport hotel. It feels secure. Nice and clean.

The parking lot is an entirely different matter. I mean we are talking people just coming in off of Century Boulevard and walking around. One woman looked like she was working tricks. Some cars just come in and cruise the parking lot around and around. I certainly wouldn't want to leave a real expensive car here, or leave anything of value in the car. But that's what you get for $55 a night.

Inside, it was very nice.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank Salconn
Reviewed 2 August 2005

My wife and I needed a room for several nights in the LAX airport area. All we wanted awas a clean and comfortable place to sleep, shower, and change clothes. The Motel 6 LAX met our needs. There are no frills. Don't come to this hotel expecting the Marriot. But the spartan rooms were clean, well-kept, and comfortable during our stay. The linens were fresh and the bathrooms bright and clean. We found the service to be courteous and helpful.

We found the neighborhood to be unpleasant, so we were a bit nervous about leaving the car in the open parking lot overnight... but the situation is not much better at the more expensive hotels in the LAX area. The hotel does have armed security guards, unlike most of the budget hotels in the area. Non-guests are not allowed into the hotel after 10 pm -- you must show your room key to pass the lobby at night -- so there were no noisy parties during our stay. We didn't notice any aircraft noise, and the AC unit effectively drowned out the unavoidable street noise. We slept comfortably and undisturbed.

Our only annoyance to speak of was the fact that the elevators kept breaking down. About 1 out of every 4 times we needed to use the elevator, one of them was out of service temporarily.

Overall, we would recommend this hotel to anyone requiring budget accomodations in the LAX area.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 June 2005

My wife, my infant daughter, and myself stayed at the Motel 6-LAX for several, relatively troublefree nights, mainly because it is economical and conveneiently located in the LAX area. Unfortunately, that is about the only thing this place has going for it. It's safe to say, this old hi-rise has seen better days, and frankly, desperately needs to be remodeled. It is situated, directly under a flight path, by a freeway in a seedy neighborhood, evidenced by the number of 'street' people that loiter the nearby sidewalks. The swimming pool was overcrowded and noisy, as endless 747's and other jumbo jets, repeatedly roar overhead as they approach the airport. The airliners fly low enough over the hotel, you can make out their livery.

The 5th floor room we stayed in was average to poor, as the carpeting and fixtures are very old, worn, and dirty. It also had a musty odor, which required us to open the large glass balcony door for fresh air, thereby letting in all the previously mentioned aircraft noise. The 19" TV had lousy reception and color, along with a poor channel lineup. The poorly lit elevators are very old and dingy, and need to be replaced, as their interior walls were covered with scratches and scribbling. Overall, this hotel's standards are inconsistant with the other motel6's weve stayed at in TX, AZ, and CA.

There didn't seem to be too many travelers among the guests, who overall seemed quite questionable. We did notice, that they do seem to hold many private parties at this hotel, based on the noise we heard thruout the long corridors, and other rooms at night during our stay.

• Stayed July 2003
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 26 August 2004

I've stayed at well over a hundred different Motel 6's all over America across several decades, and Motel 6 is almost always my first choice, because the places are dependably clean, comfortable enough, and inexpensive. Accordingly, when some very good friends visited me from Scotland recently, I heartily recommended their staying at the Motel 6 at LAX for the night before their early-morning flight back to Scotland; I made a reservation for them, and escorted them to the hotel on that last night.

When we arrived, the lobby immediately suggested that perhaps the place wasn't quite up to the normally very decent Motel 6 standards, so I asked the somewhat surly desk clerk to see the room before booking it. The room proved to be unusually dingy, smelled musty, and badly needed painting. The one double (not queen) bed sagged, the floor was only medium-clean, and perhaps half of the light bulbs were burned out. Wow, was I ever embarrassed, in view of the praise I had given America's Motel 6's to my Scottish guests! Needless to say, we left and I took my visitors elsewhere.

Almost without exception, I've never had a problem at a Motel 6 in my many, many stays -- except twice, and this place was one of the two exceptions (the Belmont, CA Motel 6 near San Francisco airport is the other exception). I cannot recommend this particular Motel 6 at all, unless you're even more stingy than I am.

7 Thank Arthur G
Reviewed 4 July 2004

I stayed here one week. The room rate, approximately $50.00 per night, is about as low as you'll find in the LAX vicinity. However, the experience of staying here was very disappointing. The motel is an old high-rise structure that appears to have once-upon-a-time been part of another lodging chain, and has seen better days. It is old looking, and well-worn inside and out. The rooms are barely passable. The walls are nicked and scratched. The carpets are filthy dirty. The beds sag, and have barely clean sheets and spreads. Things in the room are rickety, very old and dirty.

My room lacked a remote control for the television. Although I requested one many times and was promised that one would be delivered to the room, it never arrived. I was told by someone at the front desk that the previous guest threw it over the balcony to the freeway on-ramp below. Sure enough, there it was, smashed to bits six floors below.

Overall, the service was quite lousy, and housekeeping was exceptionally poor. My first night, I even found body hairs on my sheets, which obviously hadn't been changed before my arrival.

Every night of my stay, there were visits by the police department for one sort of disturbance or another. The lobby always had a gruff looking security guard or two on duty. Make no mistake, this motel in is in a tough part of town. Only two blocks away, I frequently saw prostitutes working the street, and homeless people asking for money.

One night, the fire department had to come to help free a large group of people who had overloaded the elevator, causing it to get stuck between floors. As a result, one of two elevators was out of service for the remainder of my stay. With so many guests spread over eight floors, having only one fuctioning elevator made for long waits and frequent delays. Many of the guests looked seedy and suspicious. It is definitely NOT the sort of place you'd want to go walking around at night.

Here, as at all Motel 6 locations, based on my experiences, you'll get just what you pay for. If you want to spend the minimum for a room in the LAX area, then this is where you'll want to stay. You'll be hard pressed to find a room for less money. But be forewarned, unless your tolerance for cheap, dirty, shoddy accomodations in a rough, urban neighborhood is quite high, you will come away unhappy with your stay at this location.

My advice is to look for a hotel/motel away from the LAX area, and closer to the South Bay communities (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach). They are more expensive, but the rooms and properties are much nicer, cleaner, and in a safer area. There ARE a few nice hotels near LAX, such as the Hilton, or Hampton Inn, but they can be rather pricey. Some assess service charges for phone calls, or ask that you pay for daily parking. These additional fees, on top of room rates exceeding $100.00 per night can add up quickly. Basically, you get what you are willing to spend here in Los Angeles, as you do anywhere else, especially at a Motel 6. Pay a little, and you'll get a dump of a room at the Motel 6. Pay much more, and you'll get a clean, comfortable room at the Hyatt or Hilton. It's all a matter of what you're willing to pay to stay.

• Stayed June 2004
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inglewood
Westside
LAX Area
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
#85 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Motel 6 Los Angeles LAX? Share your experiences!