“Okay Place in an Extraodinary Location”
Review of Tomales Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverness
Tomales Bay Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Basically, it's not a resort like the name claims; more like a motel in an area with few options.

Plus Side:
~Roomy, nice to sit in a living-room setting after a long day of hiking, walking and biking. It's clean and quiet.
~Breakfast is included. You go to the reception area and ask for it. They give it to you in a bag to take back to the room. This is what they gave us precisely per person: Individual size Honey-nut Cheerios and milk each, and 1 apple.
~The location is to die for, considering that it's Point Reyes why anyone would want to go there.
~There is a mini fridge and nice market close by.
~The lady at the front desk was helpful, nice and cordial.

Negative Side:
~Our biggest issue was the lack of hot water in a relatively cold area. We were told that we shared a tank with the suite next door, also designed for 4 people. We were a family of 3, and only a couple were staying next door. Yet after only one shower I took, which was lukewarm only, the hot water ran out for everyone else. I told the management, and they said that I must have taken a long shower when I should have taken a quick one only. Really? How long of a shower could have taken to have used up enough hot water meant for 8 people? Others had to wait until morning to shower as two hours later, the water was still cold. The next day everyone was concerned enough to only take brisk showers. The next hotel for us, in Mendocino was much, much better on water.
~The room smelled musty and the decor is antiquated.
~The kitchen is under supplied. I felt discouraged from using it, and they charge $50 if you don't wash your own dishes. Now this I find yucky as I don't want to use anything not washed well or by someone whose job is on the line.
~If you like a morning walk like a I do, there are no quiet side streets. Only the main road with no sidewalks. I still walked, but I did wish there was a sidewalk since the road twists often with many blind spots.
~The beds were uncomfortable, but if you can sleep anywhere then you'll be fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveler-In-Progress
There are newer reviews for Tomales Bay Resort

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have stayed here multiple times while visiting Point Reyes National Seashore. It is on the water and very close to the visitor center and hiking trails.

This is an older building that is freshly painted and spruced up with attractive comforters. The rooms are clean, wifi works well, and the front desk is staffed by exceptionally helpful people. My rooms had an outdoor patio with table and chairs. The patios are not facing the water but are more pleasant than being coupled up in a motel room.

Currently the restaurant is closed and for sale. The motel gives you a sack for breakfast if you want. It consists of cereal, milk, OJ and an apple. 2 minute drive brings you to The Backbird coffee shop. For lunch and dinner there is the Saltwater Oyster Bar. A 5 minute drive will get you to Point Reyes Station with other eating alternatives.

The area is so beautiful, you won't be in the motel except to crash after a long day of outdoor enjoyment.

Room Tip: My rooms have been 19-23 all were identical. Although the motel has been full, I have never heard...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Whitskid42
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed in room 15 back in 2012, and we were charmed by the views and the spacious, clean accommodations. It came with a full (incredibly old but functional) kitchen, although the fridge leaked, and a dinning area, a nice tv and plenty of cable. The room was around $200, I think we got a AAA discount. This time, March 2014, we stayed in room 7, overlooking the pool, it was around $160 a night, which blew my mind, because it was a full head above the previous room. Much more updated (brand new fridge!), with a cozy fireplace and the entire room appeared to be fully handicap accessible. It had two balconies, one out front, and one in back. It's a good thing they have a full kitchen, because the 'restaurant' that is advertised has been vacant for years, although they give you a coupon to a place in town which is a consolation, we also eat at the Point Reyes Station Cafe, so we can't tell you if its any good or not. Also, don't count on the breakfast. If I have to be led into the back of the office for a refrigerated apple at 9am, that is not breakfast. They have coffee and creamer in the room though, so I really can't complain. The staff is a little strange, all the cleaning people are Spanish-speaking only, but the front desk clearly doesn't know a word of Spanish, but clearly they communicate somehow, because the entire place is spotless, absolutely down to the tiniest detail. The front desk woman, Anna, did an awesome job of telling us what we should do, and where we should go... she really helped our trip. And Tom did the exact same thing for us in 2012. Its very consistent. I wish we could have stayed more than a night, it was wonderful. We would request room 7 again.

Room Tip: Bring snacks and breakfast
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberly M
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in the Bayside Rooms for Valentine's Day. Not a luxury destination by any means, but nicely updated with marble counters, wet bar and fireplace-we we not disappointed. Watched the changing weather, seals, hawks, egrets and the incredible views of Tomales Bay for 2 days. Moonrise over the water from our deck was astonishing. Great for a romantic getaway. You can pick up a basic breakfast to bring back to the room in the AM. Highly recommended, will be going back.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms have the views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 115re
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Right on Tomales Bay. We stayed in room 15 which looked east with a view of the bay and the sunrise. Not all rooms had good views. Although the room was small and furnishings are dated, it was comfortable. The room had 2 windows both of which opened. One looked out at the bay and the other toward a garden with bird feeders. The room had a small kitchenette with stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. The kitchen was stocked with basic dishes and cookware. The bathroom was very small but worked. The staff was helpful and pleasant. Breakfast of cereal, milk, fruit and juice is available in a brown bag but not until 9am. If you want it earlier they will give it to you the night before. Tomales Bay resort has a small marina and docks. The best part for us was the convenience to Point Reyes National Seashore. We spent 2 night here (a Sunday and Monday) in Jan 2014 and there were very few other guests. There is no restaurant on the premises but Iverness is very close.

Room Tip: get room with a head on view. Some rooms have no views. The nice upstairs rooms do not have kitche...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sls58
Reviewed 17 October 2013

What can we say, we had a room right on the bay and watched the tide go in and out practically beneath our feet. Room 34 - cathedral ceilings, fireplace. The remodel is quite nice. Anna, at the front desk is better than most concierge services and we did things we would not have done if she hadn't told us about it. She had us figured out and was very helpful. The breakfast worked for us - the oatmeal, Honey Nut cheerios, Fuji apples, milk, juice, coffee. Some rooms have a microwave but ours did not. I would have appreciated conditioner for my hair and hand lotion, but otherwise, we were well provided. It was convenient to have Blue Water kayak next door. The pool is not heated, but I braved going in part way. I would say one of the best locations on Tomales Bay.

Room Tip: I spent some time talking with Anna on the phone and based on our needs and travel styles, she made...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bethelandi
Reviewed 30 August 2013

So there were six of us in two rooms. The hotel is right on the beach of Tomales Bay, and faces east, so there is an unobstructed 180 degree view of some fantastic scenery. There are shore birds, kayaks, fog, and sunrises. The restaurant was not operating when we were there. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Evan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#1 of 1 in Valley Ford
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to Tomales Bay Resort? Share your experiences!