“Fantastic service”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Saltwater is a neighborhood oyster bar, restaurant and wine shop that is rooted in its respect for sustainably managed farmlands, shellfish producing water bottoms and folks that are engaged in the thoughtful gathering of food.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Although a little pricey, I always eat here while visiting the area. The people always remember me, even if it has been months. The service is superb. The food has always been very tasty. Especially the Oysters Rockafella. Patio dining is fun here.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

In little fishing town of Inverness, on sir francis Drake road on west side of Tomales Bay, a great spot, lovely rooms, inside with bar and birght sunlit (unless its raining) room, and outside (a private party had deck when we arrived), oysters of course, fresh, served a variety of ways, local abeers and wines (including Sonoma Coast / russian River, which is a lttile ways north). A great spot for lunch or dinner, rain or shine!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We drove by Saltwater and thought it was super cute. But when a local recommended it, we called and made a reservation for dinner and were very glad we did! There was a fixed price menu, for very reasonable prices. The service was fantastic and the food was just as great - the whole experience was delightful. It has a high-end atmosphere, despite not being pretentious. My dining companion even said it was one of the best meals she's ever had in a restaurant!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a tiny place and no reservations so get there when they open or be prepared to wait. But the food is awesome and service is good also. Oysters are a must have but also the grilled cheese - YUM! Salads were also toothsome. The most recent visit was for lunch; we also went early evening once and they were having a special New Orleans night.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I ate here on a trip to the Point Reyes area in February. We had overheard someone at the local grocery store talking about a good meal they had here and we decided to give it a try. We made reservations for a Monday evening, which happened to fall on a day when a local guest chef was preparing the meal, so the menu was limited to a few items, which was totally fine with us.

We arrived at Saltwater about 10 minutes before our reservation at 6:30 pm and checked in with the host. The dining room was packed, and since it was February and it was dark already, the outdoor patio was too cold for my wife. In the summer when it is warmer, it would have been nice to sit outside. While we waited for a table to clear, we went over to the bar and ordered a few drinks. I got a beer and my wife ordered tea. A table cleared about 20-30 minutes later and we were promptly seated.

We ordered our food (I ordered a pork dish and my wife a fish dish) and sat and talked as our appetizers and salads (I ordered some Oysters, which were outstanding). The atmosphere was very nice. The room is darkened, not too bright. Because the room is somewhat small, you can hear the the other people around, but it isn't so loud that it is distracting.

We received our food in a reasonable amount of time. I feel that good food is worth waiting for and we were not disappointed. My pork and white beans was very tasty and moist, while my wife's fish was obviously fresh and perfectly cooked. We were very happy with our meal. It wasn't so much that we were overwhelmed, but we left with full bellies. We enjoy good food, but we aren't what you would call "foodies," so this is one of the fancier meals we've enjoyed in a long time.

The only things hold back a fifth star is the price of the drinks. I ordered a draft beer when we first arrived and waited for a table by the bar. I was dismayed when I realized that it was $7. I may be spoiled, but I live 20 minutes from the Sierra Nevada Brewery and pay maybe $10 to fill a growler with most of their beers. The only time I've paid more than a few bucks for a pint of beer is at a SF Giant's game, and, well, that is to be expected. Also, my wife's tea was $3. Hot water. Tea bag. That's it. I feel that we were gouged a bit, and that sort of thing really bothers me. The wait wouldn't have factored into it, except we did have reservations and ended up waiting 30 minutes for a table anyway, although that probably wouldn't have been a problem if the temperature outside was warmer.

We would recommend Saltwater to anyone who would like to have a very nice meal and doesn't mind waiting if there happens to be a crowd that evening. We paid over $120 for the whole meal, including tip, for what it's worth. First time I had ever paid that much for the wife and I, but I don't have any regrets. The food will not disappoint. Thanks for a great meal!