“Keep Coming Back”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverness
Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inverness
Alameda
“Keep Coming Back”
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My 7-year old daughter asked if we could skip her usual birthday party so she could spend four days at the Inverness Valley Inn this past July. She wakes up excited at seven in the morning and runs to see the innkeeper feed the chickens and goats. She knows their names and draws pictures when we are back home. Needless to say, we've visited many times, stayed in different cottages, brought family and friends over, cooked, grilled oysters, used the pool and jacuzzi, kayaked, hiked and spent many wonderful hours on the nearby beaches. Every single time when it was time to leave we knew we would be back soon.

To those who never visited, I only have this to say. If "toaster that wouldn't pop" or "only VHS in TV" ruins the trip for you, consider staying elsewhere. In fact, reconsider Point Reyes trip altogether, you may not like it. Like Point Reyes itself, Inverness valley Inn is not trying to be fancy or luxurious. It is about nature, solitude, quiet and simple joys in life. And this why we keep coming back.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank lavoltige

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Without getting into details:

1. Grounds look NOTHING like the website - not even close
2. Shower had little/no hot water - scalding one minute, freezing the next
3. Bed was miserably uncomfortable and sheets were crazy scratchy
4. Paper thin walls- could hear everything going on next door
5. Only two towels provided - and no towels for pool area. No sign of anyone to request more
6. Tennis courts were not usable - soaked with water and no roller to remove water -no sign of anyone to assist
7. No promised dog towels, extra sheets, doggy bags, or treats - again, couldn't find anyone to request.
8. Dog run was muddy, tiny, and not usable
9. Pool/hot tub area is REALLY rundown- dire need of new chairs, tables and facilities
10. No maps, menus for restaurants, ideas on things to do
11. And here's the kicker - SIGNS EVERYWHERE REQUESTING GRATUITIES! come on now.
12. We tried to voice our concerns at checkout, but couldn't find anyone to talk to!! We dropped our keys in a box, and left as early as possible.

It was pretty bad - we wasn't expecting much in a dog friendly room, but wasn't expecting it to be so bad.

*The only plus was the fireplace in the room. The dog really liked it!

• Stayed November 2008
4 Thank Bellakin
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed 30 October 2008

When we checked in two days ago, the innkeeper spent 5 minutes explaining the dog rules, when our dog should be leashed etc., but never told us that there was a COYOTE coming on to the inn grounds that was a potential danger to our dog.

At 8:00am this morning, I took my puppy, Sasha, for a walk on the hotel grounds. As we did yesterday morning, we walked out to the road. Sasha stopped to sniff and pee. I looked up the road just in time to see a COYOTE crossing the road onto the inn grounds. Very scary!! It was tracking my puppy and me. I picked up a big stick. Shaking the stick and yelling at the coyote tried to get it to back away. The coyote assumed an aggressive stance. Bold doesn’t even begin to describe the behavior. Walking backwards to the main road, I made my way to the Golden Hinde Hotel just down the road. Fortunately, their hotel staff arrives early. I didn’t have my cell phone and needed to call my husband to pick me up. I tried calling my room, but was only able to leave a message.

(This message was never delivered to my husband. I was in the room an hour and half later when the innkeeper called our room. He said nothing to my husband about my calling the room, he was calling me to interview me about the coyote.)

A staff member from the Golden Hinde, walked me back to the inn around 9:00. He was convinced that it was probably just a big dog. I was still shaking when we walked back an hour later. Safely delivered back to my room I told my husband the story of narrowly having our puppy eaten by a coyote on the inn grounds.

At 10:30am, Inverness Valley Inn’s management called my room to confirm my sighting. He tells me this coyote has been coming around the property for the last month!! Wow! Would have been nice to hear that when we checked in. He informs me that he is going to call someone to remove it. Doesn’t ask me if I’m okay, doesn’t apologize for this horrible experience I have just had on their property. It makes sense that this coyote is coming to the grounds. The innkeepers have their own little urban farm at the rear of the property; an assortment of animals including chickens and goats. I imagine the coyote has its eye on one of the chickens.

Two days vacation ruined by a terrible experience that could have been avoided with a little honesty. What else aren’t they telling the honest hard working people who pay good money to say at their inn. I would never, ever stay at this inn and don’t recommend it to anyone. We have been vacationing in the Pt. Reyes/Inverness area for almost 20 years and have never experience something so horrific.

• Liked — Price, location & dog friendly
  • Disliked — With coyotes running around on property, not so dog friendly
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank SCAREDOFWILDDOGS
berylwinkle, owner/manager at Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore, responded to this review, 14 November 2008
We are sorry that this guest had an unpleasant experience with wildlife, and the innkeeper was sympathetic when he sought her out to respond to her phone message.
The Inverness Valley Inn is very close to the boundary with the Point Reyes Natioinal l Seashore. Because much of the grounds have natural landscaping ,we have an abundant and varied wildlife. Because our 15 acres blends into the parkland we have both resident wildlife and occasional animal visitors from the park. A coyote had been occasionally spotted around Inverness in the weeks before this incident.
Unbeknownst to the Inn staff , a deer was hit by a car on Sir Francis Drake Boulevard some time in the night before the morning in question. After we received the report of the coyote from this guest, we investigated and learned about the deer carcass, The coyote apparently had been attracted by the roadkill and apparently was hanging around that morning waiting for the vultures to let it in for a meal.. The coyote was not attracted back to where the livestock reside. We called the Marin Humane Society, who sent a representative to investigate the coyote and remove the deer carcass. We also contacted the park and the game commisioner. We told the authorities of the incident with the guest and dog. None of them were concerned enough to remove the coyote, who has not been seen since here.
Most guests who visit a country inn at the edge of the Point Reyes National Seashore expect to see many kinds of wildlife and are thrilled when they have unusual wildlife sightings. Predators such as coyotes, foxes, bobcats and even mountain lions are important members of the seashore ecosystem. Our website "discloses" the fact that part of the Inn is maintained as a wildlife preserve. We also insist that all visiting dogs be on leash partly to protect dogs from unpleasant encounters with wildlife.
While we totally empathize with the stress and fear that this guest experienced when she was surprised by a coyote who had discovered a roadkill on an early morning walk, we do not think that it is fair for her to blame the management of the Inverness Valley Inn. Our small staff has to multi-task on a big property and we cannot always pick up every phone call. In this case, we responded as soon as we returned to the office and found the message.
CARMARTHENSHIRE UK
Reviewed 21 October 2008

Having seen the other reports on TA before we booked - decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. OK it is not a luxury 5 star resort - it is a family run business and the owners are trying to make their guests stay as enjoyable as they can. We found the cabins well equipped and the bed was super comfy. My partner wanted to take it for the rest of the vacation. We stayed in Song Bird. There was an efficient gas log effect fire. The cabin was spacious but not huge and the surroundings are pleasant. We had plenty of space to unpack and rearrange our bags for our 3 week trip to USA. This was our first night. OK there are not manicured lawns etc and some things like the fencing around the pool need updating but we found the cabins very good. When we were there the owners told us of the bad reports that had recently been posted and asked us our opinion of the place as they were concerned that potential guests would be put off. Since our stay, judging by the most recent reports there have been guests who appreciate the place for what it is as we did. I pool was not heated and not very big but I managed a quick swim. It was not dirty but I did not bother with the Hot Tub that was covered. We were there in late September so things were slowing down and cooling down as well. Every-one was very helpful and present.

• Liked — super bed
  • Disliked — finding the phone to get some-one to come to check you in
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Been There, USA
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Having grown up in San Francisco, I knew what to expect in the Point Reyes area. I was delighted when an opportunity to stay in Inverness with some friends came up. The Inn was everything I expected and more. The cabins are well appointed (I peeked in several) and very clean. Although we weren't there long enough to cook our meals, the mini-kitchen was well appointed and given the wonderful gourmet market in town, "eating in" would definitely ease the cost of restaurant dining (good, but not many options). If you want to be catered to, entertained, or are "high maintenance" and a party animal, this is NOT the place for you! Stay here to enjoy the hiking, bird watching, beach combing, and cruising around nearby wine country. The owners are warm, caring, and operate the Inn with obvious attention to environmental values. One word of warning, being in a small valley, the temperature will drop in the evening so bring a sweater along with the sunscreen for sunny days on the beach.

• Liked — Proximity to beautiful scenery, quite restfulness
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carry-on-Cat
Anchorage
Reviewed 2 October 2008

The proximity to Point Reyes National Seashore could not be better - easy access to beaches, trails, and gorgeous scenery. The Inn's grounds are wooded, cabins comfortable, quiet, secluded, and lots of natural light. The innkeepers are very welcoming and establish a casual, easy-going atmosphere. We will definitely return.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Williamstown, Mass.
Reviewed 11 September 2008

The Inverness Valley Inn is a delightful and peaceful inn with well appointed, comfortable rooms. The location could not be better - close to Tomales Bay and to the Paific Ocean. There are pleasant walks on the property and the bird life, particularly the humming birds, is fascinating to watch. The atmosphere is quiet and peaceful. It is a short walk ( or ride) to Inverness where there are pleasant restaurants and a good grocery store. I always feel refreshed after a stay at the Inverness Valley Innand I am always eager to return there.

Stayed March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Ten Inverness Way
Ten Inverness Way
#3 of 10 in Inverness

Been to Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore? Share your experiences!