“Mankas Lodge, Inverness”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Manka's Inverness Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2012

This place is a DISASTER! A total rip-off. They charge Four Seasons prices for Motel 6 - or less - standards. Service is non existant. "Reception" is in a little airstream trailer which is only open occasionally. There is no way to contact anyone if something goes wrong - which plenty did. I took my family for Thanksgiving. We were bitterly disappointed.
ROOMS dark and damp feeling, Bathroom had one 40 watt light bulb - the pressure in the bathtub was so bad it took 30 minutes to fill half way. Shower was so dark and unlit it was dangerous. The other room was dirty, noisy, cold, and bathroom facilities sub-standard. It was also way from the main property and the outside path unlit at night.Breakfast is delivered to your room when they feel like it. No choice of time or content. Second day it came at 10:00
THANKSGIVING DINNER: So bad it will go down in family history as the worst thanksgiving we ever spent. We had to wait over an hour, turkey couse was small and came on salad plate. Another guest described experience as a circus.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
16  Thank travelingblogger

Reviewed 14 November 2012

READ THIS!!!

You would think paying over $700 for one night at a secluded hotel would give you the slightest bit of customer service. Think again!!! I just returned from a trip with my girlfriend and unfortunately, the low light was our one night at Manka's (which ironically was the highest rate we paid of all our hotel choices).

Upon our arrival, I drove past the front office (a small trailer) twice before realizing it was actually where I am supposed to check in. After peering in through the window of the trailer I was flagged in by the concierge. She mistakenly thought I had already dropped my bags off and proceeded to take us to the incorrect room. After finally getting into the correct room, we were given a small tour and left alone. Needless to say, we were unaware of any accommodations that were available to guests.

As we were leaving to go to the nearest market for food, we were yelled at by the only other employee we saw our entire trip. I got out of the car to see what she was saying. She was yelling at us to make sure we checkout by 11 am or else there is an extra $200 charge. So our first two encounters with Manka's staff were completely unprofessional and uninviting.

We made our own food that night not knowing there was supposedly a restaurant at Manka's. The room, a small cabin with a front and back porch, was nice. As morning came, I heard some noise as I began to wake up around 7 am. After going into the bathroom, i noticed RODENT DROPPINGS in the bathtub!! Thats right!

I immediately called the front desk and informed them, asking if this was a common problem. As you could guess, there was no service recovery whatsoever! The front desk apologized nonchalantly and hung up. This was just a few hours before our checkout and we decided to take a walk around the premises before we left. As it turns out, the grounds really are not that secluded. The hotel is located on residential streets with neighbors taking there morning walks as well. Luckily it was Monday morning so we got to experience the ambiance of trash trucks picking up neighbor's garbage!!

FInally, we arrived where this horrible stay had started, in the "front office." I informed them again that there were some unwanted visitors in our cabin as I was handing her the key to the cabin. I was more excited to go to our next hotel which turned out to be amazing for only a fraction of the cost!

FINAL NOTES:

-TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

-OVERPRICED

-RODENTS

Be Warned!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Spent the weekend at Manka's with some friends and had a hit and miss experience. My partner and I were staying in #7 which is (I believe) considered their Annex building. The room is small but charming and has a rustic, smoky fireplace kind of feel. It's cramped but cozy. The bed itself is great and we enjoyed the real wood burning fireplace, which they make up for you ahead of time and you just have to light the match and you're good to go. The bathroom was an amusing oddity. More on that in a second

We were there with 5 people total, staying in 3 rooms and as we checked in and got settled we looked at all our rooms. Two of our friends were staying in the Fishing Cabin (review written up separately here) which was really adorable. Our room and the 3rd room our other friend was staying in were pretty close and they both had similar designs featuring what we dubbed "the prison shower". It literally was raw (and rough) concrete poured with nothing over it, enclosed into its own section but with no door or shower curtain. It had a rainwater shower head so the water didn't splash everywhere, but it was just weird. I didn't care at all for it (the texture of the concrete is unpleasant to me), although our other friend was able to live out some prison shower fantasies so it was a mixed bag. :-) It was an amusing thing we chuckled about periodically over the weekend.

Our room had an outdoor tub on a private patio which seemed nice at first. Unfortunately the pump for the hot tub was situated directly beneath the bed and the motor for the pump didn't shut off until around 1:00 am. So instead of drifting off to sleep with the blissful silence of the wilderness around us, we got to listen to the droning noise of the pump. That was really not pleasant. I left a note for the staff on the next morning asking if it could be adjusted to turn off earlier or just turned off altogether. That note went unacknowledged nor unattended to.

Foodwise it was also hit and miss. We had a really nice dinner with the 5 friends together in the Fishing Cabin room which we really enjoyed. Sitting in a cozy atmosphere where we had good food, a ton of wine, nice service and a wood fire was super charming. The breakfasts in the morning were also very good, although the second morning ours arrived about 30 minutes later than we had been told it would.

For the money we expected quite a bit more. The food was definitely good, the service was pretty poor and the noise issues in our room really soured me on Manka's. It's a good thing we had some really nice times with our friends because otherwise it would have been a pretty disappointing weekend.

Room Tip: Room #7 has a pump for the hot tub that didn't shut off until around 1:00 am, and then turned ba...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 22 October 2012

On the positive, the cabins are very cozy and cute. Our king size bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds we have have slept in. The breakfast was amazing, especially the homemade yogurt. Fireside dinner was yummy too.

On the negative side, they were so inconsistent in the service. There were five of us in three rooms. Upon check-in there were 3 gals trying to check us in, and they had us all in the wrong rooms. I kept correcting them, but they seem to not care about the mistake. When the price difference between the lowest and highest room is 100%, they should care who is staying in which room. And after we thought we checked in, a fourth gal comes back and asks one us to go back and recheck-in. Really?

Breakfast was supposed to be delivered between 9 and 9:30. One the first day all three rooms got their breakfast around 9:35. Not a big deal, but still. But on the second day they were late by about 20 minutes. Again, inconsistent in their service.

One final note: they seem to want to personalize their food. Maybe cute to some, but I really don't want to know which ranch my dinner came from, or I don't want to know the name of the pig that contributed to the bacon. Please.

Room Tip: We had the Fishing Cabin. It was roomy and comfortable but very dark. The bathroom is large, but the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank DanAndAssana
Reviewed 28 September 2012

If you want a overpriced spa experience, a $1000 botte of wine, this is not for you. But if you want to get away to total silence at night, restful rooms, a wonderful breakfast delivered to your door with the New York Times, so you can curl up in the window set alcove, this is the place. Hike Point Reyes, rent a kayak on the bay, climb the 300 steps to the lighthouse,- you choose. A true escape.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank raggazza1
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We loved how exclusive this place was. it was secluded and quiet and had a soft soothing music playing. We were welcomed with wine and a brief overview of the area. In the morning we had a wonderful breakfast delivered with a healthy yogurt and fruit with fresh cinnamon rolls. Some believe the room is pricey, but I am by no means close to being wealthy and saved a year for my trip from Texas to California and it is worth the money. The size of the place is like an apartment. you have a very large bathroom with a tub and separate shower. A front room with a window bay seating and eating area, a huge bedroom and bed that is soooo comfortable with a small fridge. A deck off the front and back that are private to sit on surrounded by trees. It is soooooo relaxing I absolutely loved it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mamabear1213
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed one night at Manka's Inverness Lodge in one of their less expensive rooms ($310 including tax). It was comfortably laid out, nicely decorated, small, including a fireplace set with wood, with only two small windows overlooking the canyon behind the room, and sandwiched between other rooms. Seated in the comfortable chairs you could enjoy the fire but only look upward at the trees outside. The room is dark and not well lighted, actually consistent with rustic period furnishings & building. (Feels like a seasonable cabin room).
Breakfast included yoghurt and fruit and they advertised "unique scones" which did not arrive with our breakfast and we had to phone the lodge manager to get them delivered. But tasty
We concluded that the end room, larger with balcony, for which they charge about $500, may be more likely worth $500 than this room is worth $300.
In short, pleasant enough place but value, to us, not there.

Room Tip: If Inverness remoteness appeals to you, consider the rooms with a balcony, over the small rooms with...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TaktLosGatos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#5 of 15 in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 1 in Point Reyes National Seashore

Been to Manka's Inverness Lodge? Share your experiences!