“This Former Hunting Lodge has real character -- worth a splurge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Manka's Inverness Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Inverness B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“This Former Hunting Lodge has real character -- worth a splurge”
Reviewed 6 September 2006

This former hunting lodge has a rustic yet refined feel with stone fireplaces and wood beamed ceilings. Our room was cozy with a fireplace and luxurious queen bed with quilted comforter. The restaurant is a treat and a definite splurge. Bring your wallet and fatten it up beforehand. We loved it.

• Stayed October 2004
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank RicoRico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Napa, California
Reviewed 4 August 2006

Sadly enought this cute little lodge is hugely dissappointing. I even tried to talk with them about my poor experience and recevived no response. Everyone I encountered - except the bellman - was rude and un-helpful. Expensive and not worth the money spent. Our first room was smoky, they moved us - which took 45 minutes, so we were late to dinner. When we arrived at dinner, they turned us away, even though guests were stil in the dining room. Maitre'd was so blatantly rude I was floored by his curt and unhelpful attitude, and honestly should have checked out right that minute.

• Liked — Last room view and setting was beautiful.
  • Disliked — Staff was terrible, treated us very poorly
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont stay here, the poor treatment is not worth it, too bad because its cute, but they'll ruin your experience.
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
9 Thank Karaadamson
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 23 April 2006

Had called in March and felt the tone of the place was not courteous to start. Gave it a second chance. Yes, the food is outstanding and in the best of situations perfection is not the goal. However, the attitude here is not of true hospitality. Things are on their terms. I am a very appreciate guest, unassuming and respectful,and so seem most of the other guests. The food was very interesting and very good. The beds very comfortable and the rooms quiet. A nice experience overall. I was however a bit shocked when I checked out and was given a credit card slip with a place for a 'tip'. I leave a tip for housekeeping and meals and such, but have never had this before. They acted very disappointed. Was not a good end to a fine stay. I feel the price of the food is worth it, but the rooms are overpriced.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank JMH55
Truckee, California
Reviewed 3 April 2006

My husband and I were spending a week in Point Reyes. We were staying at a vacation rental house which was very nice but was lacking a hot tub. We decided that we would really like to spend the last couple of nights of our vacation soaking in a hot tub. We were informed by friends that Mankas was one of the hotels in the area that offered rooms with private hot tubs. We called up Mankas and were informed by a very rude receptionist that the rooms with private hot tubs ranged from approx. $400-$700 a night. That seemed pricey to us seeing as how we were only paying $175 a night for a beautiful vacation home with bay views. However, we decided to go to dinner at Mankas and check our the accommodations while we were over there. We were not at all impressed with our dining experience. When we arrived for dinner we were told by the rude hostess to "take a seat" in the lobby. However, the very small lobby was filled with people and there was not a single seat anywhere. There were crowds of people standing against all available wall space also. We retreated outside and waited in the cold. We were relieved to finally be seated at our table 20 minutes later than our reservation time. We were not at all impressed by the food and we were even less impressed by our service. When we ordered a bottle of $100 white wine the waiter brought it out to the table warm and with the label ripped and torn. It looked like a $5 bottle of wine that they had picked up at Safeway. And anyone that has drank warm white wine knows how horrible it is. They put a pitcher of water at your table and it is your responsibility to pour your own water. The waiter was cold and rude and made HORRIBLE wine recommendations. He recommended a Cabernet with a meal that consisted of mostly seafood! Dinner consisted of 1 oyster, 1/4 of a small dungeness crab (which we had to clean and pick ourselves), mediocre duck and the worst dessert I have ever eaten. The portions are very small. We were still hungry at the end of the meal and went home and cooked some burgers. After our dining experience we decided that none of the rooms at Mankas could possibly be worth $400-$700 a night! Everything at Mankas seems to be overpriced. And everyone working at Mankas seems to be cold and rude. Not a warm and welcoming place to eat or stay. Don't bother staying here. I wouldn't even bother eating at the restaurant.

Stayed March 2004
13 Thank tracybraylina
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed 17 December 2005

My husband and I stayed at Manka's in May to celebrate his birthday. We wanted a quiet getaway and thought we'd found the right place when we saw Manka's website and its promise of a serene, tranquil setting. But tranquil it was not. The $500/night cottage we stayed in was about 50 yards from the kitchen and an incredibly loud exhaust fan kept us awake all night. My husband went to the front desk twice asking that they turn it off and each time he was told that it would be shut off "soon", but it never was. We were booked for two nights, but after one sleepless night, we decided to leave. We were charged for two nights in spite of this. I tried for six weeks after to get a refund or credit, and each time I called was told that they were sorry and would send a gift certificate, but they never did. I should add that the food in the restaurant was extremely strange, not at all the type of meal you want to pay top dollar for.

• Stayed May 2005
16 Thank Virginny
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 29 November 2005

An absolutely romantic spot a little over an hour north of San Francisco. Quite different from but ranks up there with the Ahwahnee, Auberge du Soleil, Meadowwood and Ventana with regard to ambience, food and places I love to go when in San Francisco. Can be quirky, so you have to be open-minded and not pretentious.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank MFHLouisville_KY
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 November 2005

I just stayed at Manka's with my well behaved golden retriever. The various guide books touted Manka's as being "dog friendly." The guide books are wrong. Manka's is, at best, dog tolerant, but not friendly, and there is no place at Manka's where your dog may join you except your room. If you venture out to try Manka's dinning room (well worth the money) Manka's requires that you leave your dog in your car. (Since it was quite cold, I managed to talk the Manka's receptionist into calling an off-duty kitchen worker to see if he would stay with my dog in the room at $10/hour.) Also, the only rooms dogs are allowed to stay in are Manka's worst, and are not charming or special like the cabins for which Manka's is known. If you want a truly dog-friendly Northern California experience, try the Cypress Inn in Carmel.

8 Thank SkiHappy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#5 of 8 in Petaluma
Ten Inverness Way
Ten Inverness Way
#3 of 10 in Inverness

Been to Manka's Inverness Lodge? Share your experiences!