From the moment you are met at the arrivals hall in Male to your time of departure you are in a different world. Your every wish, however fanciful, is attended by a great team in a relaxed manner giving you an opportunity to forget the troubles of real world and concentrate on the experiences - coral reefs snorkelling, spotlessly clean beaches, abundant sea life, fishing or sailing trips, fantastic food and top class spa.
The island is very big by the Maldivian standards with lush tropical jungle giving plenty of personal space to everyone. Apart from meeting people at breakfast and dinner you hardly see anyone during the day. Your villa is surrounded by dense vegetation offering a great sense of privacy.
The restaurants in the resort are comparable to the best European ones in variety, quality and presentation of food.
Overall this was the most relaxing and revitalising holiday we had to date.
There are a few useful tips to share.
Don’t bother bringing any extra shoes with you. You walk everywhere barefoot. On arrival your shoes are bagged and kept in your villa. You would only need them when you board the plane on return journey. Having said that, you do need a pair of swimming plimsolls since the seabed is full of dead corals.
Don’t bring any raincoats and umbrellas too as they are provided.
On arrival you are issued with a snorkelling gear. I found myself constantly battling with fogging of the snorkelling mask glass. Bring some anti-fogging spray to keep glass clear. For those who wear glasses there are optical snorkelling masks available.
Bring an underwater camera. Marine life is absolutely amazing around the island and even more so if you take a snorkelling trip to a reef 20 min away. It is also guided by a marine biologist explaining about different sea life forms.
There are mosquitoes on the island. They don’t bother you during the day but are quite active at night. Keep doors shut after dark otherwise the villa will have mosquitoes. Resort provides mosquito repellent and nets.
The resort is sustainable having got means to produce fresh vegetables on the island, utilise food waste and sewage, recycle paper, wood, metal and glass. Unfortunately they cannot recycle plastic bottles, wrapping and bags. This waste is collected and shipped to Male for landfill or burning. Given lack of landmass in the Maldives and ecological threat from this type of waste, the resort provides you with a bag and encourages to take your plastic rubbish with you. Please help them to preserve this paradise.
There is a gang of crows on the island watching your every step. Do not leave any food unattended outside your villa or at breakfast because crows will take care of it in no time.
Bring a pocket-size torch with you. There is a rechargeable torch in your villa but it’s quite bulky. The footpaths are lit at night but not very brightly. It is also good fun watching blue crabs racing away from you on the beach at night.
Tea and coffee making facilities as well as fresh milk and bottled water are available in your villa. There are also two jars with dry fruit (apricots, raisins and nuts) to snack up during the day.
If the sea is stormy ask for a catamaran ride. It is an absolute blast! The guys in the aquatic sports centre will do it for free for you.
Although it says you need to vacate your villa by noon at departure day, in reality it is not necessary now. Up until October last year seaplanes were the only means to getting to and from Male as they operate during daylight hours only. However with the opening of a domestic airport located on the island Dharavandhoo (20 min boat ride from Soneva Fushi) you can negotiate a late departure. We left Soneva at 9.15 pm with a departure from Dharavandhoo at 10.30 pm. Flight to Male is about 20 min.
Lastly I would like to praise the resort staff and especially our Mr Friday Muhaimin who made our stay unforgettable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When Eva and Sonu Shivdasani built Soneva Fushi as well as their home on the deserted island of Kunfunadhoo in the Maldives in 1995 they had no idea that their intensely personal vision of a locally crafted villa and environmentally responsible lifestyle would form the basis of a successful collection of world-class hotels, resorts and spas. But that's exactly what happened. Soneva Fushi was the first 'castaway' resort in the Maldives, pioneering a trend for back-to-nature luxury holidays. It established a blueprint for a highly acclaimed international business, followed by spectacular Soneva Kiri on the unspoilt Thai island of Koh Kood in 2009. The success of the Soneva brand also paved the way for Six Senses Resorts and Spas with award-winning properties in Asia, the Middle East and Europe. Under Eva's and Sonu's direction the Six Senses brand gained a global following before being sold in 2012. Today the Sonevas have many imitators, but no equals. Each Soneva - and a yachting experience, Soneva in Aqua - impresses on a wide range of levels. Breathtaking 'remote but accessible' natural locations, effortlessly chic accommodation, incredible food, truly memorable activities, an inspiring ethos of sustainability and service that is uncannily intuitive. The resort that set the tone and the standards for every subsequent resort. A jewel of an island - large by Maldives standards - with perfect beaches, a vibrant reef encircling the island, a colony of nesting turtles and its very own world class observatory. Located in the Baa Atoll, Maldives' only UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Soneva Fushi is blessed with extensive coral reefs and significant biodiversity including large concentrations of whale sharks, manta rays and marine turtles. The resort is perfect for romantic couple getaways, or family holidays as it provides unique experiences and activities for all, from diving and snorkelling with the marine biologist, to sandbank dinners and a children's den (playground). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Prestigia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Soneva Fushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Soneva Fushi By Six Senses Hotel Kunfunadhoo
- Soneva Fushi By 6 Senses
- Soneva Fushi Resort
- Soneva Fushi Hotel
- Soneva Fushi Maldives/Kunfunadhoo