“Unwind and admire”
Review of Soneva Fushi

Soneva Fushi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kunfunadhoo
Reviewed 14 September 2013

From the very first moment, when you receive a short massage in their lounge whilst waiting for your water plane to leave, untill the last, when you are personally guided until you are in your plane back home, the service is impeccable in Soneva Fushi.
And it is not only the service, every little detail is unique here, often so simple but so very well thought of. And not to forget, so very ecological.
The surrounding is amazing, you feel in the middle of the jungle surrounded by white sandy beaches and a clear blue sea, paradise exists!
The food is very fresh, they produce most of it on the island, and of an amazing quality on such a remote place, served in the middle of the jungle or directly near the sea.
Great and very friendly staff (many of them being local) treat you as royalty!
This is a place for privacy and bare fooded elegance luxury.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margot43444
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. You are right, we go into great detail in providing our guests with a unique holiday experience - we are delighted that you enjoyed the barefoot luxury and all that we had to offer from your arrival to departure.

We strive hard to turn moments into memories for our guests and your compliments are an inspiration to us, to continue our good work. I have shared your positive feedback with my Team.

Do come back again, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you, hopefully soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Going to a Maldive Island? Since years I've said nobody will get me there - too boring and too small. But our travel agent convinced me to go to Soneva Fushi Resort. Prepared with a brand new e-reader having enough to read and new snorcheling equipment as I wanted to have something to kill time.
Fair to say I've done some reading due to the fact of the quietness of the private areas at the villa and it's own beach areas. I've done the first time in my live snorkeling and have seen turtles, baby sharks and fish in all different colors. But the rest? There was no boring minute at all!!!!! This was paradise!
Walking bare feet everywhere, stargazing at the jungle Observatory getting lessons about Sir Georg Darwin (wonderful and thanks to Shameem), excellent creative food at the Fresh in the Garden (Thanks to Jesus, the spanish chef). Riding by bike through the jungle at night, with all the illuminations and torches and all the noises of the jungle animals I've got such a joy in my heart - priceless. Only one time I almost overrun a hen - but for sure Jesus would have had a plan for that... :-)
Coming back from Dinner the way to the villa was also illuminated with torches to find our way - and what a surprise ! The pool was also illuminated with these torches and gave me a feeling really being in paradise.
The Six Sense Spa was overwhelming me. I've enjoyed couple of different treatments provided by Jacky and never before I experienced relaxing treatments. She has wonderful hands and got me slow down. And the Ginger Tea was wonderful!
The breakfast gave a great start into the morning - Azmeen, our waiter, has been reading our minds and was also good for lots of fun talks. Thanks! And also a big Thank You to Mr. Friday Majid and Ms. Friday Natsumi for taking great care of us.
My personal highlight has been the cocktails on the sand bank. Not because of the free cocktails :-), but because of the scenery, the sunset, the white soft sand and the Mantas we have seen there.
Thank you all for sharing your paradise with me - you've convinced me to come back and getting my initials on my bike number plate :-)
Cheers from Heidrun & Stefan

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haeseken

Dear Heidrun and Stefan,

We are absolutely thrilled with your detailed review of your recent stay at Soneva Fushi. We are so happy that you were kept entertained throughout your stay and enjoyed all that we had to offer, from the jungle observatory, the food prepared by our Spanish Chef Jesus, Jacky’s magical treatments at the spa, fun talks with Azmeen, and our Learning, Inspiring, Fun Experiences available at Soneva Fushi.

I am delighted that you will return and become one of our ever growing list of repeating guests who have their initials on their bikes.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This was my fourth time in the Maldives. Soneva Fushi lives up to its name. Still, not everything was smooth, there were some things that I disliked (and a lot of things that I liked) about this resort. Transfer to the island was a great, scienic flight, with a quick stopover at Soneva Lounge at Male Airport.
We had booked a beach pool villa, quite spacious, especially its backyard, which was made up of a pond.
Cons
Beach was nice, still if I were to make a remark, I didn't appreciate the view so much (instead of seeing the blue ocean in front of our eyes, there was the neighbouring local island and its shores were marked with big yellow-red flags and some quite ugly buildings...-we occupied villa no. 47 but actually from that side of the island the view was the same, regardless the villa you stayed at).
We used the bikes provided and I need to say it would be better if they were equipped with horns (as some guests and even staff ride recklessly). For instance, one day, a lady from the staff almost hit my bike (in the bike s rear basket there was my son and I was riding o the left side, the way one was supposed to). She was simply not looking ahead, but aside and I stopped when I saw her coming...She did not even apologize..but smiled at us...I didn t understand why she was smiling at, as I believe I looked really mad...Another day I was again almost hit by a guest who was riding way too fast (those bikes are really not for competition, they are old heavy, bikes...).Once I saw a girl falling off her bike, hurting and cutting herself, because she was riding very fast and got scared by another bike coming form around the corner...
Spa is nice, but therapy rooms are old, (for instance the Spa at Six Senses Laamu and even the Water Spa at Meeru Resort were much more beautiful).
They have various kinds of massages (not so many, though) but the therapists are really good.
Staff at spa front desk didn t make me a good impression...A bit rude and arrogant, I would say.
Especially one of them, (a guy, unfortunately I didnt get his name), was extremely incompetent.
Pros
Food and service were great.
Food was simply excellent, they have extraordinary chefs here. The dessert room and the chocolate room were really astonishing!!! So were the desserts and the chocolate! Service was impeccable, too, most of the waiters calling us by our names.
Nothing was too much for them, any request that we had for food (especially our kid who wanted mashed for breakfast or cereals for dinner) encountered no refuse, but instead they indulged us with a smile.
There was especially one cook (I am really sorry I don t know his name-he was from Sri Lanka-) every morning he greeted us with a large smile and a handshake and didn t let us bring our plates with food from the buffet, but brought them himself to our table. He was always so thoughtful!
I liked the fact that there weren t many people at breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it never got crowded or noisy. Sometimes we were there all by ourselves.
Housekeeping was always prompt, by the time we went to breakfast they arrived (they were probably called when we got to the restaurant) and by the time we came back from breakfast they were already gone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank obsessedbytravelling

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at Soneva Fushi. Although I am delighted to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay, I am nonetheless concerned of a few apparent shortfalls which I will most certainly address. We are in the process of ordering brand new bicycles for both guests and hosts. Once they arrive I will certainly make sure that everyone is aware of cycling rules on the island.

We plan to rebuild the Spa completely in April next year. Since the split from Six Senses, our owners and head office want to concentrate on the new Spa concept and design. I am indeed grateful for your feedback, only by understanding where we can improve can we excel in our service delivery.

I do hope that your fifth visit to the Maldives brings you back to Soneva Fushi.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

If you are not staying in a so called Rehendi room, this resort will unwind and relax your senses...
It is a special property for those who love freedom, luxury and privacy more than anything else!
The Rehendi rooms are small, aged, not worth the money, the rest is dreamlike!
The service, the food and all those small details you can`t find anywhere else! (exept maybe the Soneva Kiriresort in Thailand:)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rokafeju

Dear Guest,

It was lovely to read your comments from your stay with us.

Over the past few months, we have in fact demolished all 15 Rehendi rooms and are currently building some very exciting Residences, 8 bedroom, 4 bedroom and 3 bedroom. These will all be available as part of our resort villas and will be ideal for families and friends.

Come back and try one!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is the island he would have created. We stayed for seven nights with our two teenage children and the only way I could persuade them to get on the plane back was to promise them we would return (soon!). What makes this place so special is the way the resort combines eco friendliness with comfort and personal care. We initially had 2 x 2 bed villas on the sunset side, but as the view from our villa looked directly at the telecom tower of the island opposite the management kindly moved us after a couple of nights. Other than that small blip, the rest of our stay was magical. The children loved the open air cinema, riding the bicyles in the somewhat maze like paths (which added to the sense of remoteness), not to forget the chocololate and ice cream rooms! A particular highlight was when Shameem the Deputy Manager, and resident astronomer, gave us a night time journey of the stars through the Observatory, even looking at the rings of Saturn. This kind of experience and luxury comes at a price, but it was worth every penny and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We loved your review – thank you for writing about your holiday experiences on TripAdvisor. I have shared your wonderful comments with my team and Shameem our astronomer whom you specifically mentioned.

We pride ourselves in providing unique six star services and we are continuously looking at new ways to create Learning, Inspiring, Fun, Experiences for our guests - we are glad that you enjoyed the eco friendly comfort and personal care.

We are also happy that you enjoyed our chocolate and ice cream rooms which are a hot favourite among both adults and children alike.

I am delighted that you promised your children a return visit, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

One year ago we made a huge mistake by going to Soneva Fushi. Why you may ask? Because we simply had to go again this year - no where else compares! I don't need to say anything about the rooms, the Island, the food or the staff, everyone has already said it - each is fantastic. However when you combine all of these together the result is truly extraordinary. The problem is nowhere else can satisfy us now - what an underhand marketing ploy!! We'll be back next year - we can't wait! All the staff were excellent but we should mention our Mr. Friday Aravind for his outstanding care and Sommelier Srini who tried so hard to impart us with his excellent knowledge of many fine wines.
Paul & Jill

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill W

Dear Paul & Jill,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback about our Resort . Now that you have discovered Soneva, there is no reason to search anywhere else for luxury holidays.

I have passed on your positive comments to my Team and we greatly appreciate your compliments. We will continue seeking ways to enhance our guests’ experience and providing them with the ultimate dream vacation.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We have been going to Soneva Fushi for the last 7 years and it has always proven te best resort we have ever visited. Service is amazing, staff always responsive and proactive, food is stellar and things seem to improve each year, from the kids program to the yoga lessons!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay at our Resort in April and your continued loyalty to us. We are thrilled to know that after seven visits, we still continue to be the best resort you have ever visited.

We are glad that you enjoyed all our facilities especially the kids program and the yoga lessons!

We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future. Remember, our children’s Den opens late January 2014.

Your s sincerely,

Laurie Burr

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kunfunadhoo
Amilla Fushi
Amilla Fushi
#5 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Kihaa Maldives
Kihaa Maldives
#12 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
#1 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Soneva Fushi? Share your experiences!