“Excellence”

Soneva Fushi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kunfunadhoo
“Excellence”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

What to say about the most perfect holiday! Soneva Fushi is quite simply 'breath-taking' - the location, the staff, the food, the service and the accommodation could not be improved on and are outstanding. The moment you land in Male you are totally looked after. The water around this lush island is crystal clear and the resort is so cleverly designed that you cannot see anyone else's villa so you really do feel that the island is yours. The food is extraordinary, fresh, vibrant and presented and prepared exquisitely.Our two children (5 & 7) were busy and entertained by a smiley, enthusiastic team who had them doing a huge range of activities during the day. Great dive centre too.

We all left totally re-charged and we could not recommend this hotel more highly. It really is that good.

JP and his tribe

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Justin P
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest,

What can I say after creating the perfect holiday for you, apart from ‘thank you’! My team and I were so very touched by your comments. It is true that Soneva Fushi is very well located in the Baa Atoll with incredible active reefs, crystal clear waters and hosts that passionately engage with our younger Soneva Guests as well as our enthusiasts, giving SLowLife into ones holiday. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Laurie Burr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was our very first trip to Soneva Fushi and it was so much more than we ever expected. The pictures are absolutely beautiful but in reality it is haven on earth - total wonderment! Crystal clear water and perfectly white sand.

Luxurious villas with spacious bedrooms and the massive open-air garden bathroom looking upon our very own private beach front was such splendor. If I could afford I would buy one of the villas and make it my holiday home.

We are so fortunate that we got to experience this romantic trip under the vast Maldivian skies, sipping cocktails as the sun sets, while listening to the Indian Ocean waves lapping around.

The fine dining was absolutely divine, the cooking is a must not be missed, it was such an indulgence.

Shameem, Roman and Majid, thank you for your excellent service!

We can’t wait to plan our next trip!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. My Team and I are absolutely thrilled that we made such an impression on you, this being your first trip to Soneva Fushi.

Soneva Fushi is known for its luxurious villas and open-air garden bathrooms. It’s what sets us apart from the rest. I do hope that we can see you soon, perhaps even in one of our private residential villas?

Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We went to soneva fushi with my husband for our honeymoon. The service was wonderful from the first time we arrived to island to the last second! We stayed there for one week and never wear on shoes or flip flops. Hotel was so clean, the staf is always so happy and helps and cares u all the time. Our Mr. Friday Marouf do excellent job. The food was always excellent. The island is so peacefull and you feel like u are the only couple on that island. So place is so perfect for honeymooners. The island is so natural and u also feel the intelligent luxury beside natural living. Hope to go back soon to that romantic island.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your compliments and for choosing to spend your honeymoon at Soneva Fushi.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the quiet barefoot luxury experience in our wonderful natural and clean surroundings. The Island being over 400 sq meters, one can feel that they are the only guests at the resort.

Your feedback was shared with my Team and they are so grateful for your wonderful comments.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We spent 10 days here in early December. We have stayed at many top properties in the Maldives; and Soneva Fushi is the best.
The rooms are simple but excellent, and the food and service are simply outstanding.
We had Majid as our Mr Friday and he was perfect - efficient, amusing, positive.
The restaurants are all great, especially Fresh in the Garden with chef Jesus Nino which delivered innovative and fabulous food that would not be out of place in a 2 Michelin star restaurant.
The prices for alcohol can be eye-watering, but - apart from that - everything else is glorious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank John B
Dear Guest,

It was lovely to read your comments from your stay with us. Wow! What an honor to know that we are the best in the Maldives!

It is a pleasure to see you mention names of hosts who have made your stay special; we have passed on your appreciation to them. We will continue seeking ways to enhance our guests’ experiences and to providing our guests with the ultimate dream vacation.

I have shared your comments with our Sommelier regarding the prices of our wines. We have over 400 labels, organic, bio-dynamic, new and old-world which have price ranges to suit all tastes.

We look forward to your next visit and to the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband booked this holiday as a surprise for my 50th birthday and whilst I played no part in choosing the resort I can truly say that it was the most romantic and memorable holiday I have ever had. We arrived by seaplane to a breathtaking view of the island and were then taken on a short boat trip to the island during which we met our wonderful Mr Friday, Fathih. He took our shoes, placed them in a cloth bag and that was the last time we wore shoes until we left the island for our journey home.
I had been told by my husband that the resort was rustic and I did have some reservations (kept to myself!) about this. However I needn't have worried - the resort was extremely luxurious but in a very natural way and I loved it.
The things which made the holiday really special were:
Getting around the island by bicycle.
Fabulous service from very friendly and genuine people.
Wonderful evenings spent at candlelit BBQ's on the beach.
Spending a day on our own on a deserted island with a wonderful picnic.
Incredible choice of delicious food in wonderful restaurants.
Snorkelling with turtles and manta rays in beautifully warm, clear waters.
Watching the sun go down at the champagne bar whilst lying on nets suspended over the sea.
The champagne dinner at Fresh in the Garden restaurant arranged by Shree, the wonderfully knowledgable sommelier.
The feeling that anything you wanted to do could be arranged and was no trouble - I mean ANYTHING!
I was very surprised by how much there was to do - we took books with us but didn't have any time for reading! We walked, cycled, swam, spent a great deal of time snorkelling, relaxed over fabulous meals and enjoyed every minute of our time there. We even got to the point of setting an early morning alarm so that we didn't miss a moment of this heavenly place.
We have already chosen the villa we would like to stay in when we return which will surely be very soon. I have put my husband in charge of booking all future holidays with the only proviso that it must be to Soneva Fushi!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Golfer7756
Dear Guest,

Your husband obviously took great care in choosing the resort to surprise you with for your 50th Birthday, and I can’t tell you how happy I am that we made it such a memorable experience for you. I am thrilled that you were able to try most of our Slow Life experiences while vacationing with us and that our hosts were there for you to organize anything that you required.

Soneva Fushi is the perfect place to celebrate any occasion and my hosts join me in hoping that it’s not until your next birthday that we can welcome you back to our Resort.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Spent a week here in late Nov 2013. Weather was fantastic for the whole week, although we did hear stories about lot of rain for previous 3 weeks - so quite lucky in hindsight, but we had fantastic weather for whole week we were there.

The Service from start to end was simply "the best". Everybody smiling and simply wanting you to get the precisely what YOU wanted from YOUR holiday - whether activities, pampering or just simply relaxing. "Mr Friday" concept worked perfectly - Roman was our man and just perfect, nothing being too much trouble, including the occasional last minute changing of minds! You really felt like the whole place was simply focussed on making sure you got what you wanted - even if that was "nothing", just peace and quiet.

The whole feel of the place was understated luxury - simple in look and feel, but very high quality. Particularly liked the dress-down nature from start to finish - you can pack very, very lightly which is a nice difference from some of it's top-end competition where there are dress codes. "No shoes" was a liberating and an effective factor! Felt quite strange putting something on your feet, getting out of the sea-plane on the way home!

Food was just fantastic - whether the big bbqs or the refined simplicity of the Japanese (By The Beach) or the Mediterranean (Fresh). The last evening's dinner at the Moonlit Table high up in the Tree Tops, under the stars, was just unforgettable, followed by a short trip to its own Observatory next door! Wine (and all drinks) were on the expensive side (including all the additional Taxes) which add up to a sizable "extras" bill upon leaving - but the quality was always very good!

We stayed in two villas whilst we were there - both on the Sunrise side - a Crusoe Villa and a special, expected treat for the end of the week - Villa #1 (just "wow"!!!! think "Hollywood star's private getaway"!). The "Standard" villa was just beautiful too - your own very private space, including beach. The whole place had a feeling of space and freedom, not matter how many guests were around.

We biked over to the sunset side plenty of times - Barabara (sat on the decking and nets over the edge of the reef, watching the fish and the sun go down) and eating fantastic Asian food on the beach in the evening, with the ocean lapping at your feet. We don't think the neighbouring island wouldn't have bothered us terribly, although the quieter outlook from our Villas was more relaxing and idyllic (we thought!).

Have seen few TA comments about the bikes - we loved them, just perfect for the whole attitude and feel of the island. The feeling of "fun" and simplicity, cycling back through the centre of the jungled island close to midnight (after watching a classic film at the fun Cinema Paridiso), carrying a torch to see where you're going, was great for us, and felt just right for the set-up of SF. We even had our bikes personalised for us when we arrived - simple, small thing, but again just making everything perfect for you!

Negatives? Well, the mosquitoes are the only notable negative we experienced. You are not allowed to forget you are in the middle of a large, dense, island Jungle. Just take plenty of heavy Deet applicant with you and you will minimise the effect - SF supplies anti-insect cream (and fogs the island daily), but it's not very effective - DEET and plenty of it.

So would we go back? YES, definitely. Our #1 in the Maldives - and #1 for any trip where we want to completely chill. If you want activities (and are not big divers or snorkelers - we aren't, although we did a bit of local snorkelling and enjoyed it immensely) then don't go to Maldives. The very height of the Customer Service has to be a place that just simply adjusts its own time-zone so that its guests get the best of the sunshine available for them (an extra hour ahead of Male, to make sure we had the sun from 7am-7pm)!

Thanks to everyone at SF - they've got it as close to perfect as we've ever seen!! S&D.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dazza C
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. My team and I took great pride in knowing that we have contributed to making somebody’s vacation simply “the best”. Our barefoot luxury is a most definite liberating experience which everyone enjoys, whether it’s walking through our restaurants or our villas famed for being the largest in the Maldives. Cycling around Soneva, one can experience so many unique points of the island which we too use the words, fun and simplicity, whether it be watching a movie at Cinema Paradiso or gazing at the stars through our telescope.

I have discussed the mosquito issues you experienced, with our pest control teams and I am happy to say that after recently treating the island with an eco friendly spray, mosquitoes have come down to a bare minimum.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Soneva Fushi is one of the best destinations I have travelled so far. Total wonderment, amazing scenery. absolutely fantastic ambiance, world class cuisines, crystal clear water, white sand and palm trees and the list goes on!

I stayed in this paradise for 10 wonderful days. The "no news no shoes' philosophy was what I really needed to unwind from the City life. It has been such a pleasure for me to get to enjoy the beautiful reefs, snorkeling with the fishes and Manta rays. Amazing!

The Crusoe villas, with its massive outdoor bathrooms and private beaches was my own oasis of serenity. I would recommend for anyone to visit the beautiful Soneva Fushi. Special thanks to Roman who took great care of me during my stay!

I am already planning my 2014 trip and would never miss it for the world.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Josefine S
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted by your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experiences with the others.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the environment, the food and most of all the “no news no shoes” concept. We are also so happy that you enjoyed the serenity of the Crusoe villa, which is one of the 17 categories of villas available at Soneva Fushi. Please visit our website www.soneva.com to see all of our 17 categories of villas which are situated on both the sunrise and sunset sides of the island.

It is wonderful to note that you are already planning your next trip to Soneva Fushi and we can’t wait to have you back.

Laurie Burr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kunfunadhoo
Amilla Fushi
Amilla Fushi
#5 of 14 in Baa Atoll
Kihaa Maldives
Kihaa Maldives
#11 of 14 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
#1 of 1 in Kihavah Huravalhi
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
#1 of 1 in Dhunikolhu Island

Been to Soneva Fushi? Share your experiences!