“Historic Hotel”
Review of Ione Hotel

Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I really wanted to love my stay here. Like I really, really wanted too. I love to stay in historic hotels and often overlook what most travelers would dislike. I would even go as far as to say that I would love to try this property out again just a very different room. This review is solely for room 7 and its condition. The room is in desperate need of maintenance. First off, there is one person who does the housekeeping and front desk duties and the owner. My boyfriend and I arrived early to see if we could check in. It was about 1 pm. I used to work in the hotel industry, so I wasn’t too bothered when they housekeeper/front office guy said that the rooms weren’t ready. We went to get something to eat and then checked in.

Once we were all checked in we went to our room and noticed right off the bat it was very dirty. The comforter and sheets were mismatched looked very old and worn. There was a partial hole in the ceiling which wasn’t filled in very well. The carpet looked as if it was 100 years old and also the bed skirt and mattress were very questionable with hair (pet?) and stains (food?). The one thing that looked very clean was the bathroom which blew me away. The old fashioned pull chain toilets were cute too. My only complaint about the bathroom was that the shower curtain liner should’ve been changed out because little specks of mold were starting to grow. The sink is actually in the middle of the room and the TV had decent channels. The windows were old and dusty and we couldn’t pull up the blinds. The towels were provided in a basket and those were reasonably clean. I really truly want to believe that this room is in the condition it is in because it is room with lowest rate ($88 w/ tax). As we were walking around the hotel we did notice that there were other rooms that looked nicer and much cleaner. Nothing too crazy happened during our stay. I felt as if someone bumped into the bed which woke me up. I also heard a music box playing and then saw the key that was hanging on the armoire swinging back and forth. It also sounded like (both my boyfriend and myself heard this) gunshots were fired in the street in front of our hotel at 3 am. That was all of our ghostly experiences.

Another reason I would love to come back here is to visit the bar! The bartender, Jess (or Jessie?), was great! She made a stiff drink and was great to talk too. We had a great time and the fried zuccini isn't bad either! I would love to give this place another try and stay in room different from #7! I really hate to give bad reviews but I hope the management sees this as constructive. Hopefully, this property can get a little more maintenance in the areas it needs because it has great potential!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 7!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 August 2012

In this small hidden town called Ione, stands this little treasure. The minute you walk in to the Ione Hotel you feel like you've stepped back in time. Beautiful furnishings and comfortable rooms with an antique ambiance.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosalind C
Reviewed 15 July 2012

IT’S A SHAME that such a potentially great hotel is so inadequately managed and staffed. The disappointment began almost immediately. We arrived at the Ione Hotel at about 4:30 Saturday, July 14. From all outward looks, the hotel is very attractive. At the desk, the clerk was nowhere to be found (she was also waiting tables in the restaurant). After ringing the brass bell several times, a 16 – 18 year old girl scurried behind the desk and asked to help us. I gave her our names and said we’d booked a “king” room on Thursday. She searched the guest list with a quizzical look on her face and said we were not on the list. She then called the manager (who was reportedly at a wedding). He remembered our name and told the clerk to give us room 14. She then related that the “new” morning desk clerk had inadvertently given away our pre-booked room that morning. The clerk led us upstairs to room 14, and the key that was supposed to be in the real estate type lockbox next to the door was not there. (I found this to be a strange protocol). After 30 minutes and several more phone calls by the clerk, she said that the manager authorized her to give us a free “upgrade” to a better room. She led us to another room (#9) and explained that the pretty, but non-functioning bathtub was “just for looks”. I noticed that the king sized bed that we had booked originally had shrunk to a full sized bed. (King rooms go for $105 a night and fulls go for $80). Being a stickler for details, I told her that king to double (without a working bath) was not exactly an “upgrade”. After more phone calls, she informed us that the manager had authorized her to give us one of the “best” rooms, #14. She took us to room #14, and low and behold, the key was not in the real estate lockbox. After another 15 minutes she finally found it. We walked into the room and noticed that the lighting was very dim. I opened the blinds to give us enough light to get settled in. I dropped my keys on the floor, and bent down to pick them up. I looked under the bed and saw that there were several pieces of trash underneath (papers, an empty soda bottle, etc.) My wife opened the drawers on the dresser, and found several pieces of dirty clothes in one of the drawers. Also conspicuously on the dresser was a hand-written envelope labeled “TIPS”. I took the clothing to the front desk and told the clerk of my disappointment. After settling in for the night, my wife and I went out to the balcony facing Main St. for some air and a drink from the hotel bar. We were joined by several people who did not appear to be hotel guests (the lobby is posted with a sign that says only paying guests were allowed upstairs).
THE GOOD POINT: The bar. The bartender was very friendly and attentive and poured an excellent drink.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim F
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Back in January, I made reservations at the Ione Hotel, an historic hotel in Ione, Ca. We had a group that was going to stay there while we enjoyed the 2012 El Dorado Wine Passport with our friends. Well, for one, when I made the reservation, the owner would not send me a confirmation, even though he said he was going to send one. We called back aand he told us again that he would send one which we never got. When my wife had called earlier in the day, he wanted to put us in a room with another couple of our group because he had overbooked.
Then we checked in. After we had got up to the room and unloaded our bags, there was no air conditioning, the TV did not work and the toilet never flushed right. The sheets looked like they were never changed. When I asked the assistant there about the air conditioning, he came to the room and said you have to press the button which I had done and he did it again and told me it would eventually come on. It never did. I went to bed because I was sick with the flu while my wife went to join our friends for dinner. When she got back later that evening, my wife had decided that we had better check out for two reasons...1 was that the hotel had no air conditioning, no TV and the toilet wasn't working right and 2...with me being sick,we needed to get to a better hotel where we could have the above. So, my wife told the owner that being that my husband was ill, we are checking out the next day and we would like a credit for the next day. The owner of the hotel got upset and said no. My wife told him of her legal rights to cancel. He proceeded to continue to lie to her saying that all of our friends that were checking in earlier that day and had left, had bad mouthed my wife saying that our friends didn't want to stay there because they didn't like my wife, which was a huge lie! Those same friends called us and told us to get the hell out of there and to join them at another hotel. After he kept on going with the lies and yelling at my wife that he has run this hotel for 6 years and is a great business man, my wife told him to give us a credit or else. He finally gave us a credit. Afterwards he sent up the bartender so if my wife was ok. And my wife told her that we were checking out the next day and you could hear the owner yelling below so we shut the door and prepared our suitcases to check out the next day. We checked out at 6:00 a.m. the next morning and we checked into a better place. We checked in to the 49er RV Park in Plymouth and rented one of their beautiful cottages that had air, TV, beautiful rooms and bathroom and clean sheets. And the management was very friendly. The people at the 49er RV Park know how to do business the American way. To see what happened to us and our group was totally uncalled for. To let a beautiful historic Hotel that is the flagship for this beautiful town, go downhill is sad. It has so much potential but with an owner like that, it is going to continue to go downhill and someone in Ione should do something about it. Just in our group alone, he and the town lost out on 10 people that would have spent money in Ione. Good Businessmen who run hotels send out confirmations, have clean rooms, TV's and Air Conditioning that work, clean sheets on the bed and are nice to their customers. We will never be back unless there is new management/ownership in this Hotel and we are spreading the word. In fact, by looking at all of the other reviews of this hotel, the word has already been out.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 32999Geraldo69
imasum, Owner at Ione Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

As an owner I know that customer is always people will believe. With this customer I really bent backwards. I provided the best room. I put in a brand new set of bedsheets. This gentleman is the husband of the lady with the review titled "Fiasco". My only fault with this customers wife was to inform her that their friends have decided not to stay with us because they said that they will not stay at a hotel where this couple will stay. The wife called me a liar and yelled at me the whole evening with threats. The husband was very sick and the only time I saw him was when they were checking in. I am very proud of the cleanliness of my hotel. The airconditioning did breakdown since the weather suddenly became very hot on that weekend. I called the repair services, since it was a week end we could not find parts. This guest while checking out started knocking at all the other rooms and annoyed them by telling them that they should all check out. As a small business owner in a small town I try my best to please.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Had an overnight investigation at the Preston Castle the previous day, and I always try to make it a point when I need a place to stay to stop in and see what is available. To my surprise room 13 on the 13th with a full moon to boot was there for the taking. Strange feelings from this room, but that’s what I’m looking for. Special thanks to my friend Mahood the Hotel’s owner. You are very generous, and always make my time there a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ORBS_inv
Reviewed 4 August 2011

If some reviewers had a bad experience at this hotel, it has to be because they are hard to please. Our stay here was one of the most positive travel experiences we have had. We spent hours chatting with Mahmood, the owner, who even brought his son and his wife in to join the conversation. We were treated as if we were friends and family, not simply a hotel guests.
Our group occupied 2 rooms but we were allowed access to other rooms, as well as the kitchen and dining areas after hours.
I simply cannot believe anyone found the hotel to be dirty. It certainly was not. In fact it was immaculate.
Because we were interested in the history of the area in general and the building in particular, we were given a behind the scenes tour and told of the many legends and stories that go with the Hotel Ione. Mahmood cleared table settings and table cloths were removed to reveal a large table top that covered an ancient spring water well located right in the middle of the dining room area. Hotel staff gave us detailed accounts of ghostly experiences they had while working in the Hotel.
The hotel chef came to introduce herself and to verbally explain her menu and the nightly special dinner she could prepare. The food was amazing. I personally cannot see how service can be any better than the service we were given by Mahmood and his entire staff.
One final note, eating at the hotel was a blessing all in itself. I never expected a meal in an old mining town, at an antique hotel, to be like the Salmon dinner I had here. It was so good, in fact, I ordered it the second night too.
I have already recommended the Ione Hotel to many friends who will be visiting the area next weekend. I am positive the service they receive will equal the service I had. I am likewise positive the rooms will be as clean and as comfortable as mine. I am positive the ambiance will be everything it was for us. I cannot praise the Ione Hotel enough.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank GeneDunn
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My boyfriend and I were on a road trip to So California when we decided to do something different and that is what brought us to the Ione Hotel. I have read about this hotel being haunted and we decided a short jaunt off the path would be cool. We phoned at noon to see if a room was avail and we were told no problem. We were given information and on our way. It was what we expected and a little more. When we walked in the front door I could smell fire smoke. My boyfriend couldn't smell it but I could throughout the entire time we stayed there. The room was like I though, period time furniture and a real feel for going back in time. We enjoyed sitting and enjoying a drink on the back patio and later dinner and drinks on the front porch upstairs. There is lots of history about this hotel and it was very interesting to stay here. I took many pics and have orbs in them all. I would suggest this hotel to anyone, just remember its not no Best Bestern, Hyatt etc. It is a very old building with history. The caretakers were great and we enjoyed chatting with them. They told us many stories, but I would tell you to read up on this hotel on line before staying. Its not for everyone. I will be back, and I can't wait. If you want to go on a nice walk, go by the cemeterys and see what happens. We went at dusk and it got dark quickly, take your camera and see what you get. I have some very interesting pics that I cannot explain. Orbs are abundant, ghostly figures too. I will never forget this road trip! I thank you Tommy for bring me here..

Room Tip: Room #13 is the best to stay at!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PryncessLyz

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!