“earned an extra dot for the ghosts”
Review of Ione Hotel

Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Made a reservation by phone a month in advance along with a group of other people. When we got there the guy behind the desk at first didn't know we were checking in because it wasn't written down in the book, who doesn't have a computerized system?! then he found our "reservation" written on the back of a piece of scrap paper. after running my card my "receipt" was also written on scrap paper. I guess we were lucky because another of our party got their room given away 20 minutes before they got there.

The rooms are very hit or miss, The 'Rose Room' (the one with the spirit of a prostitute) is very pretty if cluttered and had a much better bed than the one we got. Our bed was saggy and had kind of a mildew smell, shower and toilet were old but worked. There was random bits of trash around the room that really should have been noticed by housekeeping like abandoned makeup and crumpled up sheets of paper.
The restaurant was empty so our group decided to check it out, the waitress informed us that the kitchen only had 4 steaks and some chicken as our protein options, so the five of us finished off the steaks and one of the chickens (the woman who got the chicken came down with what we highly suspect as food poisoning). Food was ok, I could have made better but I have eaten worse.

The group did our spooky thing around town and when we got back to our rooms at around 2 we were all very ready for bed but it was difficult with the drunks making all sorts of noises and being loud.

all in all, I've been to worse places (like run away in the night worse) but if we ever come back to Ione for any of our spooky needs, we'll be staying elsewhere

Room Tip: Rose room is pretty and has a cushy bed, looked the most comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank PhalenMum

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at the Ione Hotel in Room 1 (at the back end of the building) on the night of 4/12/14. I was in town to do a half-day investigation of nearby Preston Castle. The Hotel is sandwiched in between a restaurant (can't recall the name but their steak salad was great!) and a bar. The hotel lobby is beautiful and looks much, I imagine, like it did in the old days. The staff are very friendly. The room was dated (but better than a Motel 6) but comfortable and clean. The pull handle toilets in the rooms are a nice touch! I would stay here again if I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Ask in advance to stay in one of the haunted rooms and be sure to look at the "Black Rose"...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank me_in_oakland
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was wary about the hotel because of some of the reviews, but was very pleased when I arrived. The staff was very friendly and helpful (offering to help bring bags upstairs, etc.), and the rooms were CLEAN and perfectly comfortable. Yes, there was hand soap, towels, clean sheets, etc. We were there for an all day event nearby, and the manager went above and beyond by getting permission from the local police for my group of friends to park their cars in front of the hotel all day, rather for the designated 2 hours only.

I'm not sure if the hotel staff took some of the reviews to heart and did a better job of housekeeping, or if some of the reviewers were being overly critical, but we had no complaints and would certainly stay there again. If you stay at the Ione Hotel, remember that it's an older hotel and the soundproofing isn't what you get in a newer hotel, and there's a bar downstairs so there was some noise (but again, the manager did a good job of getting them to quiet down at a reasonable hour so that it wouldn't disturb the hotel guests). Go in with reasonable expectations, and you'll be pleased.

Room Tip: Room 14 is furthest away from the bar and a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank blairp
Reviewed 20 February 2014

A historic hotel that needs a whole lot of TLC..When we arrived no one to check us in..We waited over 45 min. for someone to come..When we finally got in our room, sheets were old and discolored..The bed sunk in the middle..The bathroom shower had mold everywhere..We had no soap for hand washing..The next day we got someone in to change the sheets and bring us soap..Not a good experience. .

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank 24karots
imasum, Manager at Ione Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

I do apologize for the wait. The person who could help this lady was upstairs and since that person is hispanic, this lady avoided to talk with her. My desk clerk is also hispanic therefore this lady has sent to me a very nasty e-mail claiming that all hispanics are thieves. I will be happy to forward that e-mail. She accused me in her e-mail that I am shame to the town of Ione and do not belong to the town of Ione. Her e-mail is totally racist.
We provide a very clean hotel and do not provide dirty sheets to our customer. Since our sheets have design they could be faded because of the use of bleach. I do not understand why the customer waited to ask for soap the next day.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This old hotel has a lot of features that give it great potential. It is an historic building with a beautiful, wide staircase, wide hallways, good windows, high ceilings, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to its potential. It seriously needs better cleaning. I found a sticker stuck to the comforter/quilt, debris on the floor that should have been picked up by a vacuum, and stray hairs stuck to the extra blanket in the dresser, dust clinging to furniture, etc. I understand that this is a small hotel in a small town, but there is no excuse for such lack of cleanliness.
The furniture in my room was inexpensive and mismatched. It was old junk that didn't deserve to be called "antique". There was a reading light and night table only on one side of the bed. The TV was an old, boxy type and too small for the size of the room. Two large, double-hung windows provided plenty of natural light; unfortunately, only one would stay open. The other window i propped open with the Gideon's Bible. (First time i found a use for one of those!)
Above the room door there is an old-fashioned window with a thin, lacy curtain. These type of windows are nice, but with bright lights burning in the hallway all night, it was impossible to sleep properly. Couldn't they turn these OFF at night? They could put little nightlights to help people get down the hallway.
If better housekeeping were provided and someone put some effort into better furnishings, new carpets, etc., this could be a lovely destination hotel. In the meantime, it is merely adequate for the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2013

If you check the reviews here you will see that this is mostly a love-it or hate-it place. I was thinking of putting a 2 or 3-star because that is probably what it deserves as far as hotel ratings go. HOWEVER, I knew in advance that it was going to be "funky" and to be honest, it has POTENTIAL POTENTIAL POTENTIAL!! I've stayed in a $250/night "boutique" hotel in Hollywood that was way less interesting but just the "little extras" allow them to charge that kind of dough.

So, we were greeted by Alejandro...who seemed to be the only hotel "staff." He was extremely friendly and attentive to our needs (extra towels, etc.). We stayed for 4 nights and he told us that he only makes up the rooms if requested...so I told him that there was no need. Someone who is hoping for turn-down service is NOT going to find it here.

We stayed in room 5, which is the largest room with a queen and a double. The beds were comfortable. I pulled out extra comforters and pillows from the armoire in the room and added them to the beds. Everything seemed clean but very "well used." The décor was "okay" but that is one place where I think they could really improve things. Decent (real) antiques mixed with faded poster prints and dusty fake flower bouquets...and old-school big boxy tvs. About the only thing I found difficult (which was easy enough to fix with my sleep mask) was that there is a window above the door to the lobby/stairs and the lights are on all night out there so it does make for a pretty bright night light.

The town is somewhat "depressed"-looking (lots of empty storefronts). The walking tour isn't as organized as, say, Volcano's...which seems to get a ton of visitors. I think the Ione Hotel could be a goldmine (haha) but it would probably need a new owner with some $$$ to come in and really take it to the "boutique" status...my husband and I envisioned themed rooms...REALLY old-west (no cheesy posters)...fancy bathroom products, etc. They would need some staff to make up the rooms and some creative furniture to hide things like the refrigerators (which I ALWAYS appreciate in a hotel room!!). There are 2 awesome balconies with FILTHY furniture...we wanted to have a drink and sit out there to check our e-mail (there IS free Wi-Fi) but my legs ended up with black smudges all over them.

There is a really cool old bar downstairs and a restaurant (which actually looked like it was being changed to an Italian place right as we were there). The restaurant should really be part of the hotel experience...like a B&B. We ate dinner there the first night...lovely steak and fresh vegetables for a great price but we were the ONLY ONES THERE on Saturday night at 6:30...it was a little strange. The bar draws a seemingly small crowd for how cool it is and we were a little worried our first night because the music (juke box?) was very loud INSIDE our room. If this place was fixed up and became a hotspot they would have to figure out how to do the bar without disturbing the guests upstairs. I'm pretty sure that the bar is the money maker as most of the rooms were vacant for the entire 4 nights that we were there...and if you watch the traffic go by it's just a sea of motorhomes and motorcycles...potential tourists!

So, all of that being said...we had a fine time. We were in the perfect location for the things we wanted to do (archery at the Lodi Bowmen's club, the Black Chasm, the Gold Bug mine, etc.). The shower was wonderful...clean, big, tons of water pressure and HOT. The old-fashioned toilet was fun but we did have to climb up on the rim a few times to hit the flapper on a number of occasions. I didn't really mind not having the room made up...I made our beds each morning and that was fine. Thing is...we paid $130/night...which I think is a bit steep for the lack of "extras" but honestly, there isn't much to choose from!! We would have had to drive quite a bit further to get to any kind of chain hotel which would have been at least $100/night anyway. And honestly, this experience was super fun for our 8 year old.

I didn't sense any ghostly presence, actually quite the opposite...so NOT spooky...I think they could play on that a little bit more too.

Hopefully the economy will pick up and someone will be able to take this place to greatness. For now...enjoy it for what it is...a cool old hotel. I'm sure they didn't have turn-down service in 1910 either!

Room Tip: Room 5 is the largest with a queen and a double. Choose a room down the hall if you need to have it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ClawMarks
Reviewed 10 March 2013

It's a small town hotel, so don't expect too much from it. The owner is really a nice guy. I stayed in room 11 and the bed felt like it was seriously sagging to the side I was on. This meant that I felt like I would fall off the edge of the bed no matter which way I moved. I turned on the heat in the room and it barely made a difference to the temperature. In the bathroom however, it was boiling hot because the heat was going full blast in there. The old-fashioned toilet was in nice touch. Luckily I was only there one night, if I'd had to stay more than one night, I probably would've switched rooms. There is a restaurant and bar on site which makes it easier to stay there. The room was clean and seemed to be well maintained except for the issues with the bed and the heat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TravellingPamB

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!