“Beautiful hotel!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Concord, California
“Beautiful hotel!!”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I booked a night at the Ione Hotel expecting the worst, after reading the bad reviews.
We were expecting a run down hotel with dirty rooms and unplesant staff, we got the surprise of our lives when we walked into the lobby and saw what a beautiful hotel this was, the room we had was perfect and very clean, the staff made us feel like family and the owner, Mahmood sat and talked with us like we have known him for years! He even showed us a beautiful room they had just redone.... The only problem I had was that we were only there one night and I wished we could have stayed all week!!!!!!!!!!
Don't believe all the bad reviews you read, I will be coming back!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ghostwatcher017

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Carlos, CA, USA
Reviewed 6 January 2010

You would never guess that this place USED TO BE one of my favorite secret fugitive getaways. I started visiting Ione & staying in the Ione Hotel about 7-8 years ago, when the original owners were running it. They had totally renovated the place with hand-done interior work & the antiques were simple, utlitarian & comfortable, for using not for show. There was a great restaurant that served delicious food & during mealtimes you could walk into the kitchen & ask for something, just like at home. There was also a friendly bar that a normal, non-alky woman could feel safe in. The owners genuinely cared for their guests as people. I even experienced the hotel's famous ghost! So I used to go up there regularly to get away from the city life, sit on the back porch, read & do nothing, while being taken care of.

No more.

I visited again most recently this last September & the hotel has been sold to an Indian proprietor. I now consider it a squalid flophouse. It's awful, a huge disappointment & doesn't feel safe anymore.

The room I stayed in had had the nice, appropriate furniture moved out & replaced with a giant king size bed that was too large for its alcove, you had to inch along either side to get in or out of it, plus it had a wobbly frame that felt like it was going to collapse. The casement windows wouldn't stay open, I had to roll a towel up & stick it in the gap just to have some air. And there's now a big TV in the room, before it had been just a little unobtrusive one that fit with the room.

The restaurant is also now terrible. I ordered a salad with beef strips & grilled polenta squares. The polenta squares were completely stale, like shoe-rubber, like they had been sitting out for a week. There is no way polenta has that texture when it's made the same day, or even the day before. It was disgusting. The waiters hardly paid attention after putting the plate in front of me, they were busy with other things I guess. But I didn't feel comfortable walking into the kitchen anymore, they were blasting some kind of acid rap music so had created their own world, unfriendly to customers. I had to wait for a waiter, who then agreed that there was a serious problem. The restaurant owner (who leases the bar & restaurant from the hotel owner) came over & decided to give me my "meal" for free -- woohoo. I can't understand why a proprietor would have tried to feed something like that to someone to begin with!

Last, worst of all, usually hotel bars shut down at 10pm weekdays, 11pm weekends, out of respect for their overnight guests. County sound ordinances also require quiet after these hours because people like to sleep. There's also a regular dive bar directly across the street, so people who really want to keep drinking can. But this new owner & his tenant, who's leasing the bar too, seem to have decided that that profits matter more than people. The bar continued to crank with drunk young locals & the sound continued to get louder as drunk people milled around on the sidewalk outdoors. At about 12:30 am the fighting started, with shouted profanities & broken glass outside my window, & by 1:00 am somebody was vomiting there. I called the police, who happen to be just a block away, and they moved the fighting elsewhere I guess, but the noise didn't abate, the bed was wobbly, there was no air in my room anyway, I couldn't sleep, and I no longer felt safe, so I decided to complain.

Well, you'll never guess, but the new owner doesn't even have an innkeeper who stays in the hotel! So there's NOBODY taking care of the guests. I guess as long as rent keeps coming in from the the restaurant and bar, he's happy enough! Screw the guests.

Anyway, the sign at the front desk said to call him on his cell phone in an emergency, so that's what I did. I called him at 1:15 am and told him what had happened, that I'd called the police, I didn't feel safe, I was angry about the situation & I was checking out, NOW. He apologized profusely, but how "sorry" can you be at a distance? But he said he would refund my money. So I drove 15 miles to the next nearest hotel in Jackson and checked in.

The final outrage in this story is that he didn't issue the refund as promised. So I disputed through American Express & he had the GALL to then demand that we split the cost & I should pay half the room fee, simply because I had TRIED to sleep & the bed was messed up!! As if ANY part of his decision to let his hotel to be the scene of drunken fights, and his refusal to care for the safety & comfort of his guests personally, was my responsiblity!!

Simply put, what used to be a secret treasure is now a squalid flophouse (correct words). Guests are seen as revenue-producing-units, not valuable people who pay to be CARED FOR. The new owner clearly doesn't see himself as being in the hospitality business. His business is making as much money for as little effort as possible, like a slumlord. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Mayalibre

Travellers are raving about these Ione hotels

Qamea
Reviewed 24 August 2009

A blast from the past. This quaint little hotel is great! The Owner / operator Mahmood Ghani was fantastic. He gave us permission to check out the haunted rooms on our stay. If your looking for phones, large color tv's, and in room refrigerators this is not the place. It's decore is early 1900's from the bathrooms to the bedroom furnature. Beds are very comfortable. The hotels resturant was great. I had salmon & pesto pasta and my wife had raviolli, tri-tip. Both came with soup or salad and bread. We both had soft drinks. the total was $38. We were their Friday and Saturday night The bar had live music and was a litle noisy if your an early bird. We joined in and had a great time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I give props to anyone who has to manage a small hotel and deal with all the penny pinching, unhappy people who complain or try and save a buck because they are staying at an "old" hotel. Majority of people seem to only leave reviews when they have something to complain about, but not enough people leave a review when everything goes smoothly. I, personally, am a very picky person - a perfectionist and not to mention was a complete bridezilla during the time before my wedding. Our stay (mine as well as my wedding party) at the Ione Hotel was one of the only things that went smoothly before my wedding and made all the difference.

I panicked when I needed to find a place to accommodate my party and found this hotel. The prices were comparable compared to others in the area, but what sold me was how accommodating the management was. I wanted to rent out all the rooms for the weekend and received a great discount and any issues or requests we had were taken care of quickly.

The rooms were a sufficient size and each one was different. We didn't really need big rooms since we were only using them to sleep and freshen up. I admit some were better than others, but all in all they were clean and comfortable. I was actually surprised they even had t.v.'s considering it's a turn of the century inn, but I guess they have to cater to those people who actually stay in their rooms all day. The size of the t.v.'s were fine unless one is really blind, I guess, but we didn't really use them much. The walls were pretty thin, but I expected that. All the linens were clean and smelled freshly washed. The beds were all fine. All the showers worked. Another thing that we completely loved was that a bar and restaurant were right downstairs. One of my bridesmaids said there was a great restaurant that was there before, but we all loved the food from the new one called Cravers as well. We went right across to the bar, which was packed and had so much fun the rest of the evening. Even the next day after the reception when we got back, we requested to have fresh linens from the front desk before we left for the wedding and we came back to fixed rooms. I was staying in the bridal suite which was gorgeous and after a long day dancing in heels, a bubble bath in the claw foot tub was a great end to the day.

All around, we were happy with our stay. That Sunday after our stay there, my new husband and I were able to do some wine tasting, some of our party went to gamble at the Rancheria and one went to play golf, so the location is decent as well.

The hotel is very quaint. It is no frills with basic amenities, but it's fun to stay at, comfortable and the staff is so nice. I would probably not bring children to this hotel, but as far as a going for a little getaway or just for some old fashioned fun, I would go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Modesto, CA
Reviewed 3 August 2009

If you are having a wedding at the Heirloom Inn (which is gorgeous and Sherry is wonderful) DO NOT try to even book rooms at the Ione Hotel. I wanted to book out the entire hotel all 13 rooms for my wedding in September. The owner stated that all rooms were available for that night so basically he didn't have any reservations for that Saturday night yet. I asked for a discount as other hotels offer especially if you book out an entire hotel and the owner said "No" he wouldn't give any discounts only if I booked the entire hotel for 2 nights would he give me a 10% discount. That is ridiculous especially from a hotel that has horrible reviews. The owner stated that it was a weekend and he may be busy that night. Okay that is poor business I am offering to book the entire hotel and you would rather gamble with a possibility of being able to book out more rooms. We looked at the rooms and they were not well kept and the bath tub that looks so appealing is "just for looks". The rooms are very old and smell so musty and not very big at all. This is the closest hotel to the Heirloom Inn, but please know that this is not your only option. The Jackson Lodge was so accomodating to all of our wedding paries needs. They have cabins and plenty of nice rooms and Matt the manager gave all my guests wonderful discounts without me even asking. The Hotel is about 10 miles away from the wedding site which is not that bad.
Just be warned to not stay at the Ione Hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank monroe121607
San Jose
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We had a fun trip to this quiet, laid back town. I like staying in older hotels because they have a certain character to them that the newer ones lack. The staff was friendly and the restaurant was great. The bar was also quit beautiful and was a fun place to grab a drink and chat with some of the locals. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I hope to revisit it again sometime soon. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CoffeeMan54
California
Reviewed 7 November 2008

The hotel was horrible. There was dried semen on the pillows, and the sheets had blood stains on them. Like someone having intercourse on the rag. Management wasn't helpful and said they had no extra sheets, just what was in each room. There were some giant cats that helped square away the rats, but you would think the rooms would be better taken care of. The lobby is indeed beaufitul, but the rooms are worse than a third world country.

• Liked — Not a damn thing! Only liked checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank pkhoury
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ione
Days Inn Sutter Creek
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jackson
Pioneer Inn & Suites
Pioneer Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Pioneer

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!