“Held hostage to the whim of the owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ione Hotel

Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Sacramento, California
“Held hostage to the whim of the owner”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My fiance and I were uncertain if we should book or recommend this hotel to our wedding party and guests. We heard mixed - poor reviews. We chalked it up to small town politics and trusted in our friend's positive experience from 4 years prior. The temptation of having our family be able to walk to and from our wedding was too much to resist.

Prior to our arrival, we had heard from one of our guests that they had tried to cancel 3 weeks prior to the wedding and were refused. They were told because it was a wedding reservation they required 30 days cancellation notice. I checked the website and found no reference to that policy. Called the proprietor, he indicated he verbal informed wedding guests of the party but would update his website for the future. A week later received a call from the proprietor stating my father was attempting to cancel his reservation but he wanted to check with me before cancelling and re-renting the rooms. I also received calls from several guests stating the proprietor called to confirm their reservations prior to the 72 hour cancelation policy. These calls from the hotel were in direct conflict to how they handled by friend attempting to cancel. I thought he may have changed his random 30 day policy based on our conversation. But he did not contact those specific friends. In fact, after all that, he ended up giving away their room without notification and they were left stranded without accomidations an hour before the wedding.

I booked 2 rooms for our family for one night and 1 room for a second night. We were quoted $205 for the 2 rooms. When we arrived we were told I had 2 rooms for 2 nights and we were not allowed to cancel the second room without being charged and we were told it would be $250 a night. I did not argue to 2nd room for 2 nights for fear I had miscommunicated. I asked why the price difference and the owner said they had "upgraded" our room. We did not ask for the upgrade, I pointed that fact out and was told we could change to a lesser room. We kept the room for fear that our arriving wedding guests may have to bear the cost differrence of our change. We were told check out was at noon then the day of check out the housekeepers told us it was 11am. There were no proprietors available to clarify check out time and no phone number at the vacant front desk to contact someone with questions. We had to wake our daughter and rush her out for fear of being charged an extra day. Bottom line, get every communication in writing and do not even trust that.

Our rooms were clean and adequate. The beds were comfortable. There were was a separately operated restaurant and bar. Because of the small size of the hotel, our family and friend booked all the rooms so it was like having an extremely large home rather than separate hotel rooms. The location was perfect for our families needs.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sparkle0719

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 25 October 2010

On Friday, 10/22/10 our group chose The Ione Hotel to stay at before our big night of Paranormal Research at the Preston Castle. We do not regret staying at this Hotel; in fact we will recommend this Hotel to anyone interested in the Paranormal. The Managers; Frahan and Charlotte were outstanding, taking time out of their day and night to talk to us and give us personal tours and allowed us to conduct small investigations.

The Rooms, Bar and Restaurant were very clean; we know this because we caught Orbs on the cameras and in our attempt to debunk them we proceeded to pound on the carpet, the bedding, the chairs trying to stir up some sort of dirt particles and were unsuccessful . The place was spotless!!! The rooms were decorated with true antiques and each room was done differently. They have great patio areas; in the front on the second floor over looking this wonderful little town. The other two in the back one on the ground floor and one on the second floor with a view of the Preston Castle tower.

The restaurant was outstanding and inexpensive. The Wait staff was on top of it all with the food tasty with great portions. They even made us coffee in the morning when they were not even open.. Now that’s service. The Bar was hopping that night with a mix of visitors, great local patrons and Karaoke.

Thanks again Frahan and Charlotte!! You’re doing great.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moangy
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 October 2010

In all my years of travel, I have never had such a bad experience at a hotel.
The Hotel is a historic inn in the very small town of Ione with only around 20 rooms. It might actually be the only hotel in the town. We made a reservation here so we could attend a friend’s wedding which was held a few blocks away.
I made the reservation months in advance, and about 3 weeks before we were schedule to arrive, I made a call to the hotel to cancel. However, when I called the hotel, the owner 9who was not pleasant to talk to) told me that they had a 30 day cancelation policy and no matter what I would be charged for the room. So, we kept our reservation in place.
The day of our reservation my husband and I arrived to check in, and we were promptly told that the hotel had overbooked and we no longer had a room. The front desk staff (who turned out to be the children of the owner) told us we should drive into the next town to try and find a room.
That was it. No help finding a new room someplace else (seeing as how we needed to be at a wedding shortly). No calls to other hotels to make sure we would get another room that matched the price of the room we reserved with the Ione Hotel.
No customer service whatsoever. In fact, the hotel staff acted annoyed that we were upset about the situation. They told us they had no obligation to do anything for us.
With only 2 hours until the wedding, we were lucky enough to have a complete stranger offer us to use their hotel room to change our clothes (the hotel refused us space to change telling us it just was not possible).
The hotel we changed in was extremely small with antique furniture that had been very poorly taken care of. The walls were very thin- we could hear the conversation from the next room. The towels were thin and shabby,
As for the wedding, we ended up having to leave earlier than we had wanted to in order to make the long drive back home.
For a hotel to refuse to allow a guest to cancel a room, and then overbook and ‘walk” them without any help to make sure the inconvenienced customer could find accommodations is unacceptable. I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MrsLFH

Travellers are raving about these Ione hotels

Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Definitely an antique as there are smoke smears from ancient fires on the walls...thought it was dirt at first. The cracked walls do help feel like you are staying in an old haunted hotel too!
For rating:
Cleanliness: Very dirty room. Bed was changed and that's all folks. We actually found a contact in our sink that didn't belong to us! Ewww.
Service: Practically non existent. I had to call just to get to my room and check in--it was 4PM.
Location: For us was good as we had events within walking distance.
Value: As it was so dirty and there was no service, the cost was much to high for the experience.
Rooms: Nice antique rooms, but so dirty it was hard to enjoy.
Sleep Quality: Awesome! The beds were "too" comfortable! I felt drugged when I woke up I slept so soundly. Some people say when there are ghosts around you tend to sleep deeply... maybe that is why? LOL.. I don't know, but woke up from the deepest sleep I ever had both mornings! Literally, I felt like I had taken a Vicodin or something.. Very comfy bed though.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelefromqueencree
Orange, California
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I had made reservations 2 months prior to our trip and had even confirmed the reservations via telephone. When we got here from Sonora it was clear that the pics are the only well kept parts of the hotel. There is grafitti on the top part of the hotel building right in front, and it seems like the area is closing down because almost half the stores, even the pretty historic ones, are closing down. Anyway, when we got here the guy at the front desk who I assume is the owner (same guy I talked to on the phone) lost our reservations so he charged us $135 instead of $80 for a TERRIBLE room with horrible beds. The claw-footed bathtubs that cost extra in a room (Which my Dad got) don't even work so your paying $50+ just for the pleasure of looking at it, which they do not tell you on the website. Each room being unique is sort of true in that some of them are actually sparcely decorated (the expensive claw-footed bathtub rooms) and the regular ones look cheaper than the worse than the cheapest motels.
So all in all, this place, not just the hotel, is a waste of time. If you want to stay in a great little town go to Jamestown to the National Hotel, Historic Columbia (basically a museum town with a great hotel and period-themed stores), or my personal favorite, Old Sanora at the Gunne House which was a 5 star B&B with the most beautiful rooms with excelent food, service, and ammenities for the same price (actually nearly half the price since the owner lost our bloody reservations, which I suspect he did on purpose to make more money).
Also, there are several Casio's dotted all along the highway that these little towns are located on, so when in doubt you can stay at one of those for a very good rate (even last minute its about $80-ish for a double) good food and entertainment.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Kalbers05
Concord, California
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I booked a night at the Ione Hotel expecting the worst, after reading the bad reviews.
We were expecting a run down hotel with dirty rooms and unplesant staff, we got the surprise of our lives when we walked into the lobby and saw what a beautiful hotel this was, the room we had was perfect and very clean, the staff made us feel like family and the owner, Mahmood sat and talked with us like we have known him for years! He even showed us a beautiful room they had just redone.... The only problem I had was that we were only there one night and I wished we could have stayed all week!!!!!!!!!!
Don't believe all the bad reviews you read, I will be coming back!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ghostwatcher017
San Carlos, CA, USA
Reviewed 6 January 2010

You would never guess that this place USED TO BE one of my favorite secret fugitive getaways. I started visiting Ione & staying in the Ione Hotel about 7-8 years ago, when the original owners were running it. They had totally renovated the place with hand-done interior work & the antiques were simple, utlitarian & comfortable, for using not for show. There was a great restaurant that served delicious food & during mealtimes you could walk into the kitchen & ask for something, just like at home. There was also a friendly bar that a normal, non-alky woman could feel safe in. The owners genuinely cared for their guests as people. I even experienced the hotel's famous ghost! So I used to go up there regularly to get away from the city life, sit on the back porch, read & do nothing, while being taken care of.

No more.

I visited again most recently this last September & the hotel has been sold to an Indian proprietor. I now consider it a squalid flophouse. It's awful, a huge disappointment & doesn't feel safe anymore.

The room I stayed in had had the nice, appropriate furniture moved out & replaced with a giant king size bed that was too large for its alcove, you had to inch along either side to get in or out of it, plus it had a wobbly frame that felt like it was going to collapse. The casement windows wouldn't stay open, I had to roll a towel up & stick it in the gap just to have some air. And there's now a big TV in the room, before it had been just a little unobtrusive one that fit with the room.

The restaurant is also now terrible. I ordered a salad with beef strips & grilled polenta squares. The polenta squares were completely stale, like shoe-rubber, like they had been sitting out for a week. There is no way polenta has that texture when it's made the same day, or even the day before. It was disgusting. The waiters hardly paid attention after putting the plate in front of me, they were busy with other things I guess. But I didn't feel comfortable walking into the kitchen anymore, they were blasting some kind of acid rap music so had created their own world, unfriendly to customers. I had to wait for a waiter, who then agreed that there was a serious problem. The restaurant owner (who leases the bar & restaurant from the hotel owner) came over & decided to give me my "meal" for free -- woohoo. I can't understand why a proprietor would have tried to feed something like that to someone to begin with!

Last, worst of all, usually hotel bars shut down at 10pm weekdays, 11pm weekends, out of respect for their overnight guests. County sound ordinances also require quiet after these hours because people like to sleep. There's also a regular dive bar directly across the street, so people who really want to keep drinking can. But this new owner & his tenant, who's leasing the bar too, seem to have decided that that profits matter more than people. The bar continued to crank with drunk young locals & the sound continued to get louder as drunk people milled around on the sidewalk outdoors. At about 12:30 am the fighting started, with shouted profanities & broken glass outside my window, & by 1:00 am somebody was vomiting there. I called the police, who happen to be just a block away, and they moved the fighting elsewhere I guess, but the noise didn't abate, the bed was wobbly, there was no air in my room anyway, I couldn't sleep, and I no longer felt safe, so I decided to complain.

Well, you'll never guess, but the new owner doesn't even have an innkeeper who stays in the hotel! So there's NOBODY taking care of the guests. I guess as long as rent keeps coming in from the the restaurant and bar, he's happy enough! Screw the guests.

Anyway, the sign at the front desk said to call him on his cell phone in an emergency, so that's what I did. I called him at 1:15 am and told him what had happened, that I'd called the police, I didn't feel safe, I was angry about the situation & I was checking out, NOW. He apologized profusely, but how "sorry" can you be at a distance? But he said he would refund my money. So I drove 15 miles to the next nearest hotel in Jackson and checked in.

The final outrage in this story is that he didn't issue the refund as promised. So I disputed through American Express & he had the GALL to then demand that we split the cost & I should pay half the room fee, simply because I had TRIED to sleep & the bed was messed up!! As if ANY part of his decision to let his hotel to be the scene of drunken fights, and his refusal to care for the safety & comfort of his guests personally, was my responsiblity!!

Simply put, what used to be a secret treasure is now a squalid flophouse (correct words). Guests are seen as revenue-producing-units, not valuable people who pay to be CARED FOR. The new owner clearly doesn't see himself as being in the hospitality business. His business is making as much money for as little effort as possible, like a slumlord. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Mayalibre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ione
BEST WESTERN Amador Inn
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
The Robin's Nest
The Robin's Nest
#1 of 3 in San Andreas

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!