“Great hotel for its class and price”

SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel for its class and price”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel is well located for most tourist activities, and the rooms are clean, new and fresh. I shared a room with a friend of mine, and we each had plenty of space. The front desk staff was very friendly.

The only issue was the breakfast - the breakfast space is very small and it was elbow-to-elbow to get anything. The biggest bottleneck was the waffle maker - that line had at least 10 people in it. I highly recommend that the hotel have at least two but better yet would be three waffle machines.

Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel for casual tourists.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pleasanton, California, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Enjoyed the room -- sitting area and computer desk are comfortable even though small. Love the contemporary design and decor, which was why I booked this place in the first place. The room is smaller than expected but does have almost all the things you need. A big disappointment was the breakfast. First of all, all the plastic and styrofoam plates, utensils and cups just gave it a cheap feel to this place, even though the room is nice enough. There was a LONG line for the waffle maker so the flow to the whole breakfast bar was very backed up even if you're not using the waffle maker. Things that were out (oatmeal, coffee, certain juice) were not refilled...etc. The pantry has enough selections, however, I was hoping there will be milk or soy milk available, since we arrived pretty late at night and hadn't had dinner, Most drinks stocked there were junk drinks like soda, sports drink...etc. It'll be great if they had more nutritious food in there... Location is very good, close to where we needed to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

If your looking for a bland hotel with average rooms and a staff that doesn't care, this is NOT your hotel. Just finished a week-long stay here and was very pleasantly surprised. Among the many outstanding features was a room rate that was negotiated at the counter and was more than fair. We were late to join in on a group rate yet the manager agreed to honor that rate.The Staff at the counter (Mayra especially) were always cheerful, friendly and willing to accomodate all of our requests throughout the week. The rooms were uniquely decorated in a mod-50's decor and felt more like a mini apartment that a standard hotel room....which is very nice when staying several nights. The ample room included a large couch, very comfortable bed, work area (with free internet), coffee maker, refrigerator, walk in closet and seperate bath/toilet were all very nice features. I used the business center downstairs to access the internet and print several pages of documents all free of charge.. something that is very unusual nowadays. The complimentary breakfast is well stocked with various breakfast favorites both hot and cold. Unlike many other establishments we have had the misfortune of eating "breakfast" at this summer, the items are continually re-stocked and not hoarded by a staff that acts as if it is coming out of their own pockets or trying to save the remants for themselves. On the contrary, they worked very hard to provide enough for everyone and even accommodated my daughter who has a gluten allergy with items that she could eat that were on the menu for other days. The gym and pool area are small and not extravagant but were adequate for our needs. Even their in-house "market" was well stocked for late night snacks. All and all this hotel was a home run. We enjoyed the room, the service and would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Need_To_Know_All
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great location, close enough to plenty of things to do. The property is well kept, nice selection on the breakfast bar, you can tell by the items selected that they must do a lot of international travelers. The rooms are great, they need outlets by the bed for phone chargers. The worst ironing board I have ever used. It was like a dollar tree ironing board, seriously hard to use.. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank adam-kelley
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We needed a place to stay in Irvine specifically and used our Marriott reward points for a night at this hotel.

Booking: Interestingly enough, I booked the hotel days before Marriott changed its hotel category. I didn't know this and when I went to order my e-certificate after the switch, I couldn't because it was 5,000 points more (the original category required 15,000, and the new requirement is 20,000). I got it sorted out with Marriott Rewards customer service, but honestly if I had used 20,000 points for this hotel, I think I would've felt a little ripped off.

Location: Very close to the airport. We didn't travel by air so this didn't matter, but I can see how air travelers would find this location convenient. There aren't any restaurants within walking distance (the hotel sits next to a freeway entrance, so no pedestrian access), but if you have a car you can cross under the freeway and there's a Rubio's, Togos, Starbucks, and other quick serve restaurants on the other side in an office plaza.

Check-In: We checked in around 1:00 p.m. and our room was ready. I had called ahead of time and learned our room wasn't ready, but the front desk associate was helpful and arranged a room for us prior to arrival. We were traveling with a toddler and requested a crib in the room. There is only one set of elevators in the entire hotel so park accordingly.

Room Service: This hotel partners with LA Dines (a delivery service), but there are limited delivery times. We were interested in using the service but unfortunately we fell outside of their delivery times.

Room: The room on third floor was spacious and clean, with a separate "living" area partitioned by the desk and a frosted window/screen attached to the desk. This was helpful at night when our toddler slept, as we put the crib on this side of the room. The bathroom was interesting, to say the least. There are two sliding wooden doors - behind door #1 was a pedestal sink and toilet. There's a small, small shelf behind the toilet that is expected to hold - I don't know, a towel? But there is no place to put a towel NEAR the sink - no hook, nothing.

Door #2 had a stand-up shower, and a regular sink with counter space. There was a hook with a small amount of towels, which was ironic because I believe I requested extra towels on the reservation. I was greeted by a (live) spider in the shower. After my shower, I looked for the hair dryer and finally found it in the armoire, on the top shelf next to the extra blanket.

Breakfast: Turkey sausage, eggs, bagels, cereals, etc. Not bad and they kept it well-stocked during breakfast hours.

Overall: I think this place met our needs and we had no major issues. But, I probably wouldn't have booked it at 20,000 points, which is why I selected the "average" rating.

Room Tip: Park close to the elevator
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aztravlgrl
United States
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Clean/modern rooms, good housekeeping, wi-fi was good, but not super fast. Nice gym and small indoor pool. Close to the highways and it was easy to get around. Plenty of good food nearby and malls, about 20 minute drive to Newport Beach.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was our first time at a Springhill Suites and we really enjoyed it. Unfortunately we only had one night. We arrived very early and I didn't expect to be given access to our room but we were which was great. The rooms are lovely and as another reviewer said, it is much more than just a room. Loved the separate toilet with sink, the walk in glass shower, the modern fixtures. The king size bed was very comfortable and the sofa and tv were all very nice. It had a fridge and a microwave as well. Convenient for shopping and the beach and the airport. Another lovely touch is that there are individual reading lamps on the head board which meant I could read while my husband slept. Great idea! The breakfast was very good, lots of choices, Lovely muffins too. The coffee was good. I can't think of a negative thing to say about this hotel. We were even given an extra hour after check out as our flight was not until evening. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor faced the main road but it was very quiet with the windows closed. Perha...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catloverSotogrande
David A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. It was a pleasure for me to hear you enjoyed your stay. I'm also pleased that you liked the breakfast, room layout and design. Many of our guest appreciate our separate toilet and shower bathroom concept.

Thank you for staying with us!