“So so service, and pricey too”
Review of Capital Seafood

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Jamboree and Alton
Anaheim, CA
“So so service, and pricey too”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I expected more from this place for Dim Sum. This place is just ok. Not even better than going to Little Saigon. And, parking sucks as well.

I have been here and to the Spectrum for dinner, and always thought they were pricey but at least tasty. Portions small, but what do you expect for upscale, cater to the Americans, chinese restaurant? So my expecations were about the same for lunch.

It was a Friday and I wanted dim sum for lunch, so my girlfriend and I came here early at 11:30 to beat the crowd. We were seated immediately and had an excellent table facing the main dining room, but in the pathway of the food carts and ladies carrying the trays.

We were bombared with the crappy fried food, which we had to tell them to go away. They were pushy girls!! I think they get bonus points if they can sell all the food in their trays... like commission or something.

We finally get the steamed food, and we order the shrimp dumplings (ha gow), the chicken feet, spare ribs, shrimp/ scallop dumplings, and got suckered into getting the stuffed mushrooms with shrimp balls.

We had a table full of food and the ladies kept on coming, trying to add more food to the table. We picked up a shrimp noodle roll (ha churn fun) and seaweed salad (which looks like they picked it up at 99 Ranch), and told the rest of the people to scram.

Visurally, the shrimp dumplings are big, and for the most part full of shrimp, but I don't know what they put in it, but the inside was watery. Maybe its due to the steaming? Or maybe its water they didn't drain when they washed the shrimp? I bit into the ha gow and the shrimp ball was soggy and water drained from my dumpling skin. Not juice. Murky water. Can we say.. ew?

The shrimp noodle roll had at least 1 shrimp per cut noodle roll but there was no flavor. One of my bites was even sour. Not impressed with the quantity or quality.

The spare rib was tasty, but didn't have a lot of black bean, and mostly bone. The chicken feet was heavily coated in corn starch, and didn't have enough spice.

The shrimp / scallop dumpling should have been called shrimp dumpling with 1 tiny dime size scallop.

For dessert we had the fruit tart. There was 4 types of fruit: canned oranges, canned lychee, 1/4 strawberry, and 1 blueberry over a dollop of custard inside a soft chocolate square crust. The crust was nasty. We just ate the fruit and custard, and dumped the chocolate crust.

The meal was just ok, but the price was not cheap. I think we got 6 items, and the bill came to $41 for 2 people. I've been to other dim sum places where $41 could feed a family of 4. Even their lunch special menu was over priced and disappointing.

Next time I have a dim sum craving, I have to remind myself to wait until Din Tai Fung opens up at South Coast Plaza. Someone.. please open up a GOOD Dim Sum place in the OC. You'd make a killing!

Visited May 2014

• Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Spectacular Abalone”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Capital Seafood is an excellent Chinese restaurant that does not serve Chinese wine. Staff informed us that they once had it on the menu, but the last bottle sat on the shelf for over a year. He never restocked. I noticed that the patronage was not Chinese, so that may account for lack of demand.

That said, great great food. They had everything my guests wanted, and they went out of their way to provide my very insistent guests with Chinese off-menu Chinese dishes. The Abalone was spectacular!!

Great ambiance, definitely a great place to go on a date. I would definitely suggest reservations – it was quite full.

• Visited April 2014
Orange County, CA
“Get there early if you want the dim sum...”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This restaurant quite prominently advertises itself as a dim sum restaurant. What that omits is that dim sum is only available during lunchtime (11-2 or 11-3 depending on who we asked).

The dim sum may be the best in the world for all I would know, but as we shuffled in after that time window we had to order a-la carte off the chinese-themed dinner menu. It isn't uncommon for dim sum restaurants to serve only before dinner, though this is a small window. Anyway, be advised.

The spicy green beans were excellent. The other items we ordered: a beef dish and a chicken dish were good but nothing special, and really nothing to comment on one way or the other. Except that the prices were a little high for what they were. But given the restaurant is in Irvine Spectrum and next door to Nordstrom's I suppose that's not unexpected.

Service was good, though a little slow. The decor is quite nicely-appointed.

One other item: a review on 12/29/13 listed the tasty "shark fins" as a dish to enjoy here. I don't recall whether or not that was listed on the menu. But if Capital is really serving shark fin (and I doubt it) they're violating a CA state law passed in 2011 and upheld on appeal banning the sale of shark fins. And as much as I have enjoyed shark fin and shark fin soup in the past, now that I've become aware of the the totally unsustainable, utterly unnecessary, wasteful and egregiously barbaric practice of "shark finning" I'd ask that you forgo any such dish, anywhere, regardless.

• Visited March 2014
Oliver, Canada
“best dim sum I ever had”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is nice, big, modern and easy to find in the spectrum mall, beyond that they had friendly staff.

Food was incredible, our party of 4 had a hard time knowing where to draw the limit and everything we tried was fresh and tasty. Top recommendations would be the prawns with candied pecans and the pineapple buns.

If we had the opportunity to be in the area again we would go bsck in a heartbeat! s

Visited December 2013
Chandler, Arizona, USA
“Great Dim Sum with unusual dishes!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went today at noon (Sunday) and knew we had to wait but the dim sum was terrific. We enjoyed the shark fins, siu mai, shrimp and pork wrapped on a green vegetable, and shrimp on a piece of mushroom. We were looking for new and unusual dishes and we were not disappointed. We are always happy to find new dim sum dishes that we could not find in Chinese restaurants in Arizona. Everything tasted good! It was worth waiting.

• Visited December 2013