“Perfect for extended stay”

Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Perfect for extended stay”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at this Residence Inn for 5 nights while helping my daughter relocated from Michigan. We had a two bedroom, two bathroom suite, which was perfect for us. The included breakfast was a real time and money saver. Beside the normal muffins, fruit and yogurt, there was oatmeal, rice, eggs, potatoes, and waffles. We did have the strange experience of no power one night, but it was no problem for us. They gave us each a large glow stick, which I sat on the bathroom sink. IT provided more than enough light to get around. The power came on at 4am. I thought of asking for a rebate, but it really was no problem for us. The staff was very kind, professional and helpful when I aked for

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nancy b
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Nancy B,

I hope your daughter is enjoying Southern California. Thank you very much for the great review. It gives me great joy to here you enjoyed the breakfast, one of the cornerstones of our property.

I apologize for the power outage experience. Unfortunately, we had an isolated scheduled power outage that affected the grid our hotel is on. I am happy that it did not affect you as much.

We hope to see you again when you come to visit your daughter.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Surrey
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Arrived Nov 15 and was told there would be no power from 10pm to 7am that night. No candles or flashlights. No rate discount. I asked front desk girl to call another unaffected Residence Inn, which she did. She confirmed a room nearby and hung up. I asked why she didn't hold the room or at least let me talk to them. She replied "we don't do that, but I am welcome to make my reservation using the computer in the lobby". Wow! Not the level of customer service I had come to expect from Marriott. We canceled our reservation and left.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yvrtravelguy
Yvrtravelguy,

I sincerely apologize this was your experience at our Hotel. I hope you can see this is not the normal experience our guests have at our hotel.

Unfortunately there was a scheduled power outage that affected the power grid our hotel was on. I am very surprised that was the response our Front Desk team, as we had a very detailed plan around handling the power outage which included assisting guest to our sister properties.

I hope we can recover your confidence in us and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had never stayed in a "residence" hotel before and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. The staff was very professional and pleasant, the hotel offered a free breakfast that was technically a self serve continental breakfast setting but did include eggs and french toast. The bathroom in the suite was a little dated but the experience was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Kabish,

Well we are very happy to hear you were pleasantly surprised. Residence Inn as a brand is really changing as a whole.

In regards to your feedback about the bathrooms; we have noticed the dated feel ourselves. We are in very early stages of looking into a remodel. The bathrooms are one of the key areas we would like to focus on. Hopefully if all goes well we can modernize the bathrooms and give it more of updated touch.

We hope to see you soon on your next visit to the Orange County area.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great hotel. Liked the free parking and breakfast. Also liked the room size, sitting area and kitchen area. A very functional space. Great that the TV swiveled so you could watch from the couch or the bed. Didn't like the motion sensor light in the bathroom. The mattress was very uncomfortable, too soft for me. Would have been nice to have another space where you could layout your suitcase.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Julstravel,

Thank you very much for the kind words about the hotel. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the beds being too soft. We will most certainly take that into consideration.

We hope to see you again when you are in the Irvine area.

los angeles, ca
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Recently stayed here for an event nearby, and I must say, I was surprised! The place is excellent, clean, great prices ($85 bucks for a suite room!). I've stayed at overpriced 5 star places that were dumps with rude service... but this place is a gem! The studio suites have FULL kitchens - regular fridge & stove, nice big bed, clean sitting area. The hotel service itself was great too. Blocks from the airport so I will be referring out of towners here, what a great find!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1realitycheck
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
1realitycheck,

Thank you so much for the kind words and the future recommendations. We take great pride in our hotel so seeing comments such as yours makes us very happy.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Orange County area.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Great location, very friendly staff, although they were a bit short-handed both at the front desk and in the breakfast room. The rooms are great although we have one big problem - the motion-sensored light in the bathroom! We don't need to go in during the middle of the night and have the light go on. Sometimes it goes on by itself. If they want timers on some of the lights to save energy, great - but have an "off" setting for the motion detector. Other Marriott properties have gone to the updated light switches, but we've not run into this issue with the light coming on unnecessarily elsewhere. Frankly, the light was on more with the motion sensor than it would have been without one - no energy saved there! We could have it turned off by having an engineer come up but didn't remember until after we went to be the first night. Would still stay there again but hope they look into this light issue, watch the staffing levels in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are really pretty quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Cliff J,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We truly understand one of the best ways to grow and become better is feedback such as yours. We greatly appreciate it.

In September we did find ourselves a little shorthanded due to isolated issues that we have since resolved. I assure you this is not the norm and something you will not experience in the future. The comment regarding the light switch is great feedback. We have brought it up to our Chief Engineer and we will begin to look for a viable solution.

Once again I thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Avon, Ohio
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I spent a few days at the Residence Inn Irvine for a business trip. Overall it was a good experience, and I'd certainly stay there again, particularly if the price was right. The location is great for L.A. area activities, and since it is a Residence Inn, there are plenty of amenities, from a free breakfast, free Wifi, full kitchen en-suite, and more. Here are some high and lowlights I spotted:

Pros:
- As mentioned, location is great - easy to get to and from SNA airport, and is a short drive to the beach and most Los Angeles areas from a business standpoint (short drive in L.A. being relative to SoCal!).
- Large, spacious room - full kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom in one suite.
- Well maintained, in and out - the exterior grounds were clean and attractive, with plenty of parking. Inside, the room was generally clean, and the common areas were always spotless.
- TV was nice - large LCD on a peninsula that swiveled so it was easy to view from the bed or the living room area (or even kitchen).
- Quiet - I never had an issue with any noises from cleaning crew to unruly neighbors. Good job in my book!
- Sad to say, but free Wifi (which should be standard in every hotel!) is a pro - good speed, no problems.

Cons:
- There was a weird stain on the bathroom floor - one portion of the floor is carpeted, which I've never understood in a bathroom for exactly this reason among others.
- I was asked whether I wanted a higher or lower floor when checking in; I said higher, and was put on the 3rd floor out of 8. OK, that sounds like lower to me, but whatever.
- Decor was a bit dated (bathroom and common areas) - that's inevitable, and not a really big deal.
- I could never get cold water out of any tap - lukewarm at best, so I had to fill glasses with water and put them in the refrigerator to have on hand.
- The complimentary toiletries did not include lotion. I've never seen that before, and thought it was an accident, but after several housekeeping cleanings, no lotion - I guess you have to bring your own!
- Free breakfast was pretty forgettable. I don't think they were powdered eggs (which should be illegal), but nothing was very tasty, although the selection was good - yogurts, cereals, even a make-your-own breakfast burrito option.

As I said, I'd come back to this hotel if the price was right - it's got a lot going for it, but there's decent competition in the area. If you've got a dog, then it's likely the best option. Aside from a few niggles that could be fixed or overlooked, the Residence Inn Irvine is a great option to stay in the Los Angeles area!

Thanks for readgin - feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Jon

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JB24003
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
JB24003,

Our number one goal is to be the best Residence Inn in the region and then hopefully in brand. So we understand feedback is an important part of that growth. Thank you very much for providing detailed information on how we may achieve that goal.

If possible I would love to speak to you to get a better idea of where we could improve. If you could please contact me, my contact information is listed below.

Thank you for your glowing remarks and I hope to hear from you soon.