“Clean updated rooms but dingy towels”

Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I loved the clean updated rooms. I wish the had nicer towels I was a lite grossed out by dingy towels.

The location was great! Close to highways and beaches. The front desk staff was nice but didn't direct me to the right places that was disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank grapevinereview
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

GrapeVineReview,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are glad you loved the clean rooms. I apologize for the towels and not providing you with the correct directions. I will be certain to review your feedback with our other leaders so that we continue to provide the best product and service in Orange County.

We hope to see you again when you are in the Orange County area.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

One of the best overall hotel experiences I've had.

PROS:
Friendly, professional desk staff. Clean property.

I had been upgraded to a 'suite.' It was huge, very well laid out floor plan. Large bathroom and shower area. Excellent room lighting; best bathroom lighting I've seen.

Large computer desk with a real office chair. Free internet is a plus.

Room was very quiet, despite proximity to airport.

Did not have a chance to sample the free breakfast as I was leaving early in the morning.

CONS:
Not many, and not big.

HVAC control is in the corner of room by window, which is an odd placement for several reasons--but mostly because there is furniture on both sides and it's almost impossible to see the temperature settings. Fortunately, it kept the room at a fairly stable temperature. One lamp, and both AC outlets (conveniently placed on both sides of the headboard) did not work. Only other negative is that the shuttle and breakfast are a bit late for early morning business travelers. Would like to have had breakfast and shuttle start at 5:00 instead of 7:00.

SUMMARY:
If you need a place to stay that is near the airport, THIS IS IT.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SethE56
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

SethE56,

Thank you very much for the amazing review. As you can see we take great pride in our hotel and the level of service we provide.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the breakfast start time and shuttle start time. We will definitely review these with our leadership team.

We hope to see you again when you are in the Orange County area.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have stayed here every time I visit California and stayed here beginning April 30 for two weeks with my little dog. First I have to agree that the staff at this Residence Inn is the best that I have ever seen anywhere including high-end hotels. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the front desk staff that is in place at this hotel. Jacqueline and Keelyn took care of many things for me including finding recommendations for Mother's Day brunch. They spoiled my little dog Gia (the one who wore sunglasses when going outside) and they gave little doggie treats to on a daily basis. Housekeeping here is also awesome, again the best that I have seen. They are super thorough. Wednesdays were the barbecue night with burgers and hotdogs being cooked on the grill outside. The hotel is going through renovations but I was lucky enough to get a newly renovated room on the 7th floor, thank you Jacqueline. The new rooms are wonderful and the shower is spectacular. I especially love where they have put the desk in the new studio rooms which allows you to have a fabulous view of the mountains. My only recommendations are as follows, leave some of the rooms with bathtubs for those traveling with small children who don't know how to shower, upgrade the washers and dryers in the laundry room, and consider having something with a little more sustenance on the evening happy hours which is a little on the skimpy side when compared to Wednesday night. Will definitely come here again every time I am in town.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Leinerlady,

Thank you very much for the amazing comments. It is very flattering to be said that we deliver the best service ever. I greatly appreciate the glowing reviews. My associates and I definitely remember you and your adorable dog.

We will absolutely take your recommendations in mind. We love the feedback.

Thank you once again and we can’t wait to see you and Gia back on your next visit.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were on a business trip and booked a hotel in Irvine. Got in late and the hotel was less than impressive, charged for parking and had no free wi-fi. We left the morning of 5/15 and checked into the Residence Inn near John Wayne Airport. We were assisted at the front desk by a woman named Keelynn and she was top notch. Very pleasant and helpful. The room was superior to the place we stayed the night before and the price was very reasonable. I plan on another business trip in the near future and will definitely stay at the same place. Thanks Residence Inn and thanks, Keelynn!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

MichaelHenderson68,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. It is always great to hear that one of our associates treated you so well. I will be sure to not only personally pass this onto Keelynn but also share with her fellow peers.

Once again, I thank you very much and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Without a doubt, one of the nicest stays I have ever had.

I would like to recognize the outstanding customer service and it started with Keelyn. She always had the right answer. It started when our first room's AC did not work. She talked to engineering and in 5 minutes she moved us to the same style room with ice cold AC.

What I liked:

1) The newly renovated rooms are awesome, just awesome.
2) Close to everything in the OC.
3) Customer Service.
4) VERY clean, everything worked perfectly.
5) Very very quiet.

What could be improved (and this is really trivial):

1) Parking during the day can be tight.
2) I'd like to see earlier breakfast on the weekends.

There is construction going on but the staff makes it clear when it will get noisy and I didn't think it got noisy.

I would recommend this to anyone - it provides value and quality!!!

Room Tip: High Floors!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

RoadCorgi,

Thank you very much for wonderful review. I greatly appreciate the detail. I have passed on the great review with all of my associates, including Keelynn.

During our renovation, parking is limited due to the containers we have on site. Once we are completed with the renovation we will have roughly about 15 more parking spaces open to us which should help out the parking situation.

Once again, thank you very much for the kind words.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Missing batteries from the TV remote. Really? Who could have taken them?

The "office" seat but the table is so worn out that it's just disgusting. See pic.

And for some reason, the room I was in was really noisy at night. As if the fridge was making the noise or something in the wall.

Friendly staff though.

But still....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vseT
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Hello vseT,

First and foremost, thank you very much for your feedback. We greatly appreciate the opportunities to excel and become the best hotel we can be. I am extremely happy to say in late June we will be completing our $3 million suite renovation. With the completion of the renovation all of our guest suites will have brand new desk chairs.

I would love to speak to you so that we may resolve your remaining concerns.

Jason.cure@marriott.com
949-261-2020 ext. 633

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is my second stay at this property after making it my default choice in the area. They are renovating rooms so there's a little noise. They recognized my Marriott status with a room upgrade. While the room is a little worn, it was clean and comfortable. They warned me about the noise in advance.
Breakfast was good and the Wednesday night BBQ was a nice touch.
Easy access to freeways and 10 minutes from the airport on surface streets.
Friendly efficient staff - good hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Tim H,

Thank you very much for the great review. The rooms are a little worn but after the renovation they will be in superb condition. The upgrades that are being completed are going to leave the rooms amazing.

Thank you for mentioning the Wednesday night BBQ. We take great pride in it; it’s my personal favorite day of the week.

We hope to see you back soon so that you may experience the great new rooms.