“Wonderful hotel and Amazing Staff!”

Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. Clean, modern looking, tasteful decorations and artwork. And the parking is complimentary, Wifi as well, and a full breakfast each morning. And when we arrived on Wednesday late afternoon, they were barbecuing and serving complimentary hamburgers and hotdogs on the patio, and the beer and wine was complimentary as well! The staff are the icing on the cake! A special shout out to Emily who was so welcoming when we arrived late in the day, hot and tired. During our stay any concern or question was meant with a polite can-do attitude, and the front desk even gave us assist so that we could finish gift wrapping a very large and awkward birthday present for a friend before he got to the hotel. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room, high floor away from elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nina272007
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Nina272007,

Thank you very much for the glowing review. Our BBQ night is definitely my favorite night of the week. It’s not often that someone gets paid to BBQ.

I will be certain to mention to Emily your comment. She is one of best here at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again on our BBQ night!

Jason.cure@marriott.com

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great hotel! We stayed in the suite room and loved it! Pool seemed a bit alkaliney like the water hadn't been changed in a few years. My son was wondering what the candies you put out are they are really good he says!?

• Stayed: June 2014

MikeFisk,

Thank you very much for the great review.

Regarding the pool chemicals, we have a 24 hour 3rd party monitoring system that reviews our pool chemicals levels. I will reach out to their team to ensure we are at the required levels. We want to ensure our pool is enjoyable for all of our guests.

As for our candies, we order them through one of our vendors and I do not know the name of the candies. What I would love to do is, if you send me your information I would love to send a little “care package” to your son, our token of appreciation.

Thank you very much.

Jason.cure@marriott.com

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had a one-night stopover from Laguna to NorCal and I read tons of reviews before I left. I found choosing the right hotel to be greatly frustrating, as I could choose anything between Laguna and John Wayne Airport. I read about every hotel in the area, refused to pay beach-view prices for a one night stopover, but generally prefer 4-star and higher hotel quality and services. Price is not usually my first filter but I want what I want and don't want to overpay for it. I was looking for easy access to SNA, free WiFi, free breakfast, free parking, and a room that was 450 sq ft or more of space.

This "place to stay" (it's hard to call it a "hotel") really surprised me. Being the last of four hotels I stayed in during this trip, I had four different brands to compare from Denver to Pasadena to Laguna. This place was factors better than any of the others. I got everything I wanted and more in a freshly-renovated "Studio Suite" that was HUGE.

I took a bunch of pictures but, when I started this review, I realized the pictures posted by the company were exactly what I saw. Fresh, ultra-clean, brand-spanking new everything from the bed to the bath to the full kitchen. While I easily could have lived here for a week or more but only needed it for one night, having a cupboard with clean coffee cups, a real coffee maker, and a fresh roll of paper towels was a great comfort. There were utensils, plates, a few pots and pans, and a brand new and sparkling clean fridge. If you're a parent you'll not be at all concerned about feeding yourself or your family from this kitchen - it was white-glove clean.

The "living room" area had a new studio couch and coffee table/foot rest that also converted to a double bed. The wall decorations and pleasing paint choices were warm, tasteful, and comforting like you'd do in your own home.

The monster TV sat on an interesting piece of furniture that is a very large desk attached to a dresser. The TV swivels on a very smooth wood platform so it can be seen while lying in bed. The desk was a perfect height to work comfortably, and the desk chair was a new mesh design.

The bed was very comfortable for me and there were pillows aplenty. The cover was a light spread, not a heavy comforter found in most hotels. Because the windows opened to the perfect 63-degree night air, having a lite cover was perfect and I slept like a baby.

The bath, toilet, and shower (stand up, no tub) were brand new and high-quality. Handles made sense, water presser very high, and the invigorating glass shower got steamy warm. The toilet is in the shower room with a door separating them from the sink and closet. All of these areas are very spacious; you never have to turn in place to avoid bumping into another fixture in this room.

The only negative I have about the whole suite is the stupid motion-detector auto light in the shower/toilet area. I appreciate the intent, but the light is high on the ceiling and is, at least, a 150 watt bulb. I had a mind of its own (I ended up closing the door while I slept) and blasted my sleepy eyes when I got up in the middle of the night. WAY too bright. A simple night light would suffice and let me turn on the light intensity as I desire by doing away with the motion detector switch and installing just a dimmer for the ceiling light.

The breakfast was fantastic and was VERY busy by 8:00am or so. It also started at 7:00am, a little later for most business travelers. The hotel grounds were spotless, the pool area beautiful with a working fire pit that was very popular, and warm clean water. There were lots of shade areas provided, with padded wood furniture for lounging.

The location is just 5 minutes from SNA and the shuttle was on-demand when arriving and on a 1/2 hour schedule departing. There are several restaurants just a short walk away. There is tons to do in the Laguna/Newport Beach areas and rental car is located under the airport itself (I returned a rental car here and was standing at the shuttle curb in less than 5 minutes after arriving).

Every employee I encountered had a pleasant smile, a warm welcome, and an eager-to-help attitude.

I've already convinced my family to return to the area after I spent just two days here, and this property is the first and last contact I'll make. It has the perfect combination of family comfort and semi-luxurious details - along with an attractive price and freebies.

Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: I asked for a low room with a view. My view was the pool/courtyard area. A studio suite is large e...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Garfield1111

Garfield1111,

Thank you very much for the detailed review. We are so happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel.

We hope to see you in the future when you are in the Orange County area.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you are planning on staying in the Orange County area, this hotel is well cleaned, the staff is very helpful, and the location is very centralized. My family of five recently stayed here while visiting family. We had a spacious suite, with a perfect sized kitchen. My kids loved the pools and the included breakfast! It was nice to walk into our room with the pack n play already up and the kitchen ready to go. We will definitely be staying here again! Thanks to all the staff for a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jennibeannn
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Jennibeannn,

Thank you very much for the amazing review. We are so proud of the hotel and to be able to provide remarkable stays for guest such as you.

I will be certain to share your comments with the entire team.

I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed there twice within one week, 3 days then a single night. Most of this brand is old and worn out but this location is quite nice. Clean and updated the staff is very nice. It has a breakfast that is very good and they do change it day to day.

Nice place to stay at

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John S
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

John S,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We greatly appreciate the feedback and great comments. Residence Inn as a brand is changing drastically. More and more you will begin to find Residence Inn like ours versus the “apartment homes” style. I am glad to say that we are in the forefront of that change.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I loved the clean updated rooms. I wish the had nicer towels I was a lite grossed out by dingy towels.

The location was great! Close to highways and beaches. The front desk staff was nice but didn't direct me to the right places that was disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank grapevinereview

GrapeVineReview,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are glad you loved the clean rooms. I apologize for the towels and not providing you with the correct directions. I will be certain to review your feedback with our other leaders so that we continue to provide the best product and service in Orange County.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

One of the best overall hotel experiences I've had.

PROS:
Friendly, professional desk staff. Clean property.

I had been upgraded to a 'suite.' It was huge, very well laid out floor plan. Large bathroom and shower area. Excellent room lighting; best bathroom lighting I've seen.

Large computer desk with a real office chair. Free internet is a plus.

Room was very quiet, despite proximity to airport.

Did not have a chance to sample the free breakfast as I was leaving early in the morning.

CONS:
Not many, and not big.

HVAC control is in the corner of room by window, which is an odd placement for several reasons--but mostly because there is furniture on both sides and it's almost impossible to see the temperature settings. Fortunately, it kept the room at a fairly stable temperature. One lamp, and both AC outlets (conveniently placed on both sides of the headboard) did not work. Only other negative is that the shuttle and breakfast are a bit late for early morning business travelers. Would like to have had breakfast and shuttle start at 5:00 instead of 7:00.

SUMMARY:
If you need a place to stay that is near the airport, THIS IS IT.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SethE56
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

SethE56,

Thank you very much for the amazing review. As you can see we take great pride in our hotel and the level of service we provide.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the breakfast start time and shuttle start time. We will definitely review these with our leadership team.