“Dirty Disappointed”

Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Now where do I start – you would think good stuff right? After all, so many reviews are good, I wondered if I was at the same Hotel and this is an expensive recently updated Marriott Residence Inn in Irvine, near the John Wayne Airport. You expect Marriott to be clean, have helpful, pleasant and courteous staff. But Sorry, not my experience here – and how frustrating is it as a traveler to experience dirty rooms, unpleasant front desk folks that don’t follow up and staff that don’t plan well and run out of simple things like coffee in their breakfast area for 15 minutes. Oh, I will answer that – VERY!

Mr. Cruz (the Hotel GM) and his folks at this Marriott are falling short. Rooms are cleaned very poorly, they are downright dirty! Now not sure about the rest of you, but I do find Residence Inn’s (I stay at Marriott around 50 nights a year), some of the dirtiest anyway of all Marriott Brands that I stay. But this one takes the prize for the dirtiest…

Crust and stains around the toilet when we got to our room, crumbs on the floor, hair in the bathroom sink and shower area and multiple pacifiers and chips under the coach in our room. Just think about the things you cannot see! I posted a picture of just a few of the items I found under the couch.

Other issues – front desk can work on being nice and courteous during check in, they don’t follow up when rooms are ready, the young man (he may have been the front desk supervisor) was just a little cold and not happy, I mean after all he is taking my $300+ per night, if that was me I would be singing the “happy” song. The folks working the beverage area don’t respond to you, look at you strange and don’t plan very well. Coffee was out over 15 minutes during breakfast at 8am. And don’t get me started about the Internet – wow are they on standard phone line internet connection, I mean come on, this is 2014, this is a Marriott that charges a nice sum for its rooms and the Internet is slow and disconnects more than it connects.

There is some good – location is great, adequate parking, pool is pretty nice and there are a few restaurants in walking distance.

Would I stay here again? Only if I absolutely had to – This Marriott just failed on some hotel 101 must haves – clean rooms, friendliness and good planning. This is simple stuff Marriott, you just need good management oversight to ensure the rooms are clean, how about inspecting them, really inspecting them and training folks better and upgrading the Internet – so simple – you do that consistently and you will keep your customers coming back to your brand because they can count on your brand, you fail – they will go elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MauiTrips
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

MauiTrips,

First and foremost, I sincerely apologize for your experience with us. The uncleanliness of the hotel and the level of service we provided are unacceptable.

Reading your review it seems like we did not provide the usual level of service. We take all feedback, good and bad, very seriously. I would love to speak to you in further so that we can further investigate where we need to improve. I would also like the opportunity to make things right and regain your trust.

I have listed my contact information below. I look forward to speaking to you.

Jason.cure@marriott.com
949-261-2020 ext. 633

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

So had make a last minute trip to Orange County to see family. We usually stay at the Renaissance Sport in Aliso Viejo but they were booked. We opted for the Residence Inn. What a surprise! It apparently was renovated in 2014. Great room on 7th floor. Quiet, very modern and clean. Breakfast was good. Kept cleaned and stocked. We weren't around for Happy Hour so can't comment in that. The front desk staff was soooo pleasant and helpful. Don't worry about it being so close to the airport , Orange County has a law that planes have to cut their engines back so you literally don't hear the planes flying over. We are returning in November and were booked at the Renaissance Sport but changed our reservation to the Residence Inn, even though it's a little bit of a drive to Aliso Viejo we think it's worth it!!!

Great job Residence Inn!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

BeachGal2011,

It’s wonderful to hear we made a fan out of you. Our hotel was recently renovated in the first half of the year; we are still lining up the lobby renovation as well.

Thank you very much for the great review and can’t wait to see you again in November.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for eight nights with my family. We rented two studios. The room condition is ok and the furniture is fairly new. The hotel is ideal for families however its not within walking distance from major shopping centers. The hotel neighbourhood is surrounded by resrdintial complex and business at the same time. Its about 10 minutes drive from irvine spectrum mall and 7 minutes from the district shopping complex.
I was annoyed by the receptionist who wasn't flexible in letting us check in 30 minutes before the official check in time untill i told them that i cant belive you are rated four and half stars at TripAdvisor and not even willing to let a family who flew for 13 hours to check in early. Then the manager agreed to give us one room until the other room gets ready!!
In general i might consider comming again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dubaitourist
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

DubaiTourist,

First and foremost, thank you for staying with us. We greatly value your business.

I must sincerely apologize for your experience with us. We take great pride in the hotel and the level of service we provide. It seems like we greatly missed the mark during your arrival experience. Unfortunately we cannot always honor an early arrival due to logistical reasons, i.e. rooms not ready, bed types, requested locations etc. When this occurs our hope is that our Guest Service Representative provides you with options so that you, the guest, can make the best decisions which fit your needs. From your review it seems that we did not do that. I assure you that we will share your experience with our team so that my become a better team and continue to provide the best level of service.

Hopefully we can regain your trust and you visit us when in the Orange County area, I assure you will see the true level of service we provide and how we earned our spectacular rating.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is right across from my office but I usually stayed at a full that is about 3 miles further. I recently found this options since I needed an extended stay with my family (1 week) and was pleasantly surprised. The property looks very new, well maintained, the people are kind and serviceable. The morning breakfast is ok (nothing fancy) although you would want a bit more variation on the proteins offered. the rooms are ample, beds are comfy, we experienced no glitches which I usually experience in higher end hotels. We stayed on the 8th floor which you should always strive for since the higher you go.. the farther away you are from street noise (not that it is a problem here). The only 2 things I can say need addressing are: a) tardiness of the housecleaning service (a couple of days it was after 3.00 pm and they had not performed it), b) there is a periodic vibration that is felt on the 8th floor (all the hotel) as a minor earthquake (nothing that is scary or disturbing) just... strange. 7 Minutes to airpoirt,

Room Tip: As per my comments - higher is better here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

JPug70,

Thank you very much for the great review. We too wish you would have found us sooner.

We thank you very much for your insight regarding the Housekeeping tardiness and the periodic vibrations felt on the 8th floor. I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping leadership; this is great learning for us. Regarding the 8th floor vibration, if possible I would like to know the room number you were in. We would like to hone in on the cause of this. We have a few ideas where this might be steaming from but we would like more details to be certain, my contact information is listed below.

Once again, thank you very much and we hope to see you again when you are in the Orange County area.

Jason.cure@marriott.com
949-261-2020 ext. 633

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I would have given this hotel 5 stars except for the lousy wifi. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and the location is convenient. But for some reason the staff couldn't make the message light on my phone stop blinking (they didn't try very hard) and nobody could make the wifi work reliably. Especially frustrating was the constant inference that it was my fault or my computer's fault. I heard several other people at breakfast on with the internet help desk complaining of the same problem. It wasn't until a very frustrating checkout that they acknowledged that there was a problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul D

Paul D,

Thank you very much for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We take great pride in the hotel and the level of service we provide.

I sincerely apologize for the complications with the internet. I am happy to say that we have acknowledged this as a major growth area and we are currently reviewing several options on how to improve your experience.

I am positive that once we improve our internet experience we will earn a 5 star rating from you. Until then, we hope we can continue seeing you when you are visiting Irvine.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This property is everything you expect from a Residence Inn, our requests were filled and we were greeted with a smile upon check-in. The suites are modern and roomy, beds comfortable, breakfast good (except for the cheap paper towel napkins) and amenities like laundry room and pool were nice. The comfy outdoor furniture was disappointing because of the bird droppings--changed my mind about having breakfast outdoors when I almost sat on bird poop stained cushions. The staff at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Parking was a bit tricky, but access to the hotel from all around the building was do-able. Would definitely stay here again. Shopping and restaurants are very close, even Costco.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank marycoug

MaryCoug,

Thank you very much for the great review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, even with our flying neighbors around. Hopefully we have made you into a fan and will continue to see you when you are visiting the Irvine area.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Wish we could've stayed more than a night!! Loved the shower & swivel tv. Nice neighborhood. We had an end room & it was very quite & comfortable. Nice to have full size fridge, stove & oven, microwave & sink. Bed was super comfy. Loved the free wifi & parking. Nothing negative to say about this property.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank nsg0507
Jason C, General Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Nsg0507, we are thrilled you loved our hotel. We are excited about our newly renovated guestrooms. Hope to see you whenever your travels bring you to our area in the future.

Thanks,