“Over rated...”

Cuisines: Taiwanese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I love Asian bakeries in general. They use much less sugar, the bread is usually super soft and chewy, and artificial tasting sugary frosting is never used. However, the Asian bakery craze stops here…If you pay attention to the "variety" of the items sold, they use the same base dough for almost everything and they all taste the same! We go to Diamond Jamboree a lot to dine and we have given 85 Degrees several good faith tries. We've been disappointed every time. Honestly, the bread end up in our trash when we get home because we just cannot in good conscience swallow all this white flour with sugar stuff they crank out. Many reviewers mentioned their stuff is fresh…if you travel to Europe and Asia, baked goods are always fresh! Only in America do consumers put up with week old baked goods packaged and made with chemicals to keep it "fresh". I really believe this is just a hype and people get swept into the crowd mentality. I do get their coffee sometimes and shake my head in bewilderment seeing how many people are in line.

2  Thank Travelingsister48

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I heard about this bakery cafe from friends and they were raving about it. So we checked it out and arrived noontime on a weekday and the place was packed! We noticed that though the queue for the checkout was long, the service was fast enough. So we got our trays and picked almost everything in the shelf. Their pastries are really good - cheesedogs, coffee bun, garlic bread, egg tarts, cupcakes etc. And it was affordable too. We grabbed a cake on the way out too (blackforest) for a relative's birthday and we enjoyed it for dinner as well.

Will surely drop by again when we're in Irvine. I hope they open more branches though.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am still drooling IT. WAS. DELICIOUS. I. CAN. EAT. THIS. PLACE. Yes, yes, bread is awesome. One tip about the sea salt coffee don't even bother with the smaller size as half of it is a delicious foam that you'll want to open up and spoon into your mouth. So get the larger size if you are serious about your caffeine.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I went to 85 degrees on my last trip to LA and I was really amazed at the amount of people waiting to go in for a snack. The items were fresh and delicious. I picked 2 items - Taro Bread and Egg Tarts and they were both amazing. I came here almost everyday during my 4 day trip to Irvine and I would recommend this bakery to anyone wanting a snack. The lines are however out the door but it does move fast.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I never understood the hype around 85C. They certainly have some decent pastries but nothing really justify a crazy long wait. The taro bun came close but not close enough. The sea salt coffee is only appealing to bubble tea drinkers. Any semi serious coffee lover would not be completely satisfied with this creamy sugary coffee drink.

If you grow up being spoiled by wonderful European patisseries you will laugh at the people lining up for 85C. However, if you manage to come here at an odd hour to quickly snatch up some pastries with little to no wait, you won't be too disappointed.

1  Thank Verlisia