“Nice hotel but parking fee?”

Courtyard Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
South Lake Tahoe
“Nice hotel but parking fee?”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nice and new but has a couple things about Will probably keep me from staying here again.

Positives:
•Nice, new rooms. Good size, modern, clean.
•Nice pool area and public grounds. Very nice for a Courtyard
•Near the Spectrum
•Several USB ports in the room. I counted four.
Negatives
•Near the Spectrum but not much else. It's basically an Industrial Park.
•$15 charge for Parking? What a joke. It's not a downtown location or even a beach resort and there's no valet parking or garage. This charge alone will probably prevent me from returning.
•The service was average. Most employees are probably new and you wouldn't expect Ritz-Carlton type service at this hotel but they could be a little friendlier.

Overall, the hotel itself was exceptionally nice and it'd be a
good choice for someone traveling on business in the area but for a vacationer there are probably better choices, ones that don't charge you to park your own car outside.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank gc08012014i

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We are rewards members and picked this hotel because we could use our points and get a discount. However after staying here I would have paid full price it was so nice! This hotel was beautifully decorated and designed very well. Although my husband and I stayed here for a night out at the amphitheater we will most likely go back for a night with our son because it is really perfect for children. The pool was amazing, perfect size for adults and children, we loved the lounge area outside with two fire pits, a grass area, putting green, ping pong table, two patio tables for family dining...and this was all outside! The inside also had a very open lounge area, with a nice fire place and bar. I could go on and on with how happy we were staying here. The rooms were nice nothing spectacular but still very nice and I especially loved the shower and design of the bathroom. We will stay here again even though it's only 30 miles from home, just for fun! And we would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a double queen room facing the pool, it was nice and I loved every bit of it. However if you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very good looking and brand new hotel in Irvine, CA. The only reason of why they are busy is because there is nothing else than a Double Tree few blocks away. I couldn't check my room as soon as I checked in because had to rush to a dinner meeting. When I came back find left over pizza on its box inside of the fridge cabinet!!! Of course I called the front desk bu tI don't know why because they didn't even apologize. Next morning when I went to the bathroom I find so much women long black hair on the bathroom that was totally disgusting. What can I say, that was another conversation with the front desk but no one came up to say I am sorry. The manager? I don't know who is... NEVER AGAIN

5 Thank magarcia99
aspou854, General Manager at Courtyard Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
magarcia99

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and bringing this situation to my attention. First, and foremost, I would like to express my sincere apologies. It is clear we dropped the ball and the experience you encountered is not indicative of our own standards and expectations. We have taken the opportunity to discuss the situation with our staff and have made adjustments in order to eliminate similar issues in the future. At your convenience, I would like to discuss your stay in more detail and offer a personal apology. My number is listed below. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the opportunity to make it up to you in the near future.
With Regards,

Audun Poulsen
949-623-3051
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

There aren't great choices in the Irvine Spectrum, but this is a great choice. Brand new, and without question one of, if not the nicest Courtyard I've ever stayed in. Modern decor and design throughout, much larger than the standard Courtyard. Walkable to the Spectrum. Great fitness facility with free weights, kettleballs and multiple TRX sets in addition to the standard cardio and all-in-one weight machines. Large pool with cabanas (equipped with TV's) and putting green.

Rooms are normal sized, with comfortable and functional furniture. Built in charging stations at the desk and on the nightstand. Quality bed and linens for a Courtyard. Bathroom is large with a large walk in shower. One strange feature - the bathroom door auto closes, which I really don't care for.

Service was fine, I was there on the literal first day, so they were working out some kinks, but nothing to really complain about. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Southside have a better view but neither side would be especially quieter.
2 Thank Andy B
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I wish I had clients close to this hotel, because it would make for a solid property for ongoing business travel. Granted it is a new hotel but a new hotel doesn't necessarily mean it warrants a solid review, and this comes through in one of my other reviews of a brand new hotel that received a less than acceptable score.

Strengths:

1. Rooms. Perfect size. Modern, functional furniture, usable desk and power/usb plugs located where most convenient. Also, you can open the window, a rarity in some modern buildings. I like to sleep with the window open and it's quiet at night despite that you're close to a major highway. Given that's it is a Courtyard I was also dreading the loud A/C unit embedded under the window. Thankfully none of that here. Also the all-glass shower stalls and clean bathroom design works well.

2. Internet. The sign-on page is a bit confusing as it looks like you have the standard inclusive internet and an upgrade option, although the page needs to be cleaned up. I chose the upgrade and clocked at 4.9U/4.9D in late afternoon hours. My minimum for business is 3 so very good.

3. Fitness. Spacious gym overlooking pool. There is also a mini-golf area, a first for this level of hotel, and a ping-pong table. Also, something you don't see too often outside of vacation resorts, cabanas by the pool. Added bonus if you grew up in the 80s someone in management here chose to pump new wave music into the pool area; can never have enough of Depeche Mode or The Cure.

4. Design. The building is front to back from the east to the west, that means you face either north or south. It keeps the rooms cool while allowing adequate sunlight on both sides. Also the placement of the elevators and width of the hallways, especially on the ground level, is very well thought out.

5. Security. A minor point as you're in a safe area, but nice to see the gates to recreation areas adequately secured for guests only.

Weaknesses (all very minor):

1. Check-in. This is not a strike against this particular hotel but one thing I do not understand. Why does it take staff at a Courtyard or equivalent property always anywhere from 2-4 minutes to check in a guest given that they have my online profile as a Gold member readily available and yet the Mandarin Oriental can check me in under 18 seconds while honoring my preferences (yes I timed it, they are doing something right). Granted there was a line in front of me as well, but those 2-4 minutes really add up.

2. Vent noise. You may hear muffled sounds from other units via the bathroom vents, but I didn't find it disturbing or significant enough to cause an issue.

3. Shade. There is not much of it out here, so bring a sunhat and plenty of fluids if you're going to spend any significant amount of time by the pool. Granted, the property is so new that the palm trees were still tied up in a bundle at the top. Hope they grow big!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank medicinewizard
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week on a business trip. I arrived just 2 days after they opened. This is not your standard Courtyard. It is 8 stories with a good-sized outdoor pool and Jacuzzi.
The sleeping rooms are nicely decorated with a very large walk-in shower, large flat-screen TV, desk, and refrigerator.
There are 3 computers located in the lobby area for guest use as well as two additional computers for printing out boarding passes.
It is located just across the street (easy walking distance) from the Spectrum Center which has many resturants, shopping, and entertainment options.
They were offering great room rates since they were just opening. Not sure how long those rates will be available.

2 Thank traffic_guru