“Firepit!”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Firepit!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have stayed at Courtyards all over the Southeast but this was my first visit to a Courtyard on the West Coast. This Courtyard made the other Courtyards look like pay-per-hour motels. It's brand-new, so obviously it will stand out from other Courtyards for that alone. It had a large bathroom (much larger than the luxury hotel I stayed at two weeks before). A smart designer built a shelf with a window into the shower so that you can just reach in to grab a towel without opening the shower door! The showers are all-glass. Sink is large table-type. The beds were soft.

Outside, it comes with a good-sized pool, a fire pit with comfy lounge chairs, and a large artificial grass area with more seating. This Courtyard encourages socializing (which is what my coworkers and I did out by the fire pit). It is also right next to the Irvine Spectrum, so you can get your shopping and dining fix on without having to drive. Finally, it is literally minutes off of the 5 and 405. It took me 15 minutes to get to John Wayne Airport at 7:15 in the morning.

I am not really sure if a $249/night rate is competitive - considering that there are full-service hotels a couple of miles north, but I enjoyed my stay and will recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms face the mall.
1 Thank Mach91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the Journey concert at the Verizon Amphitheater. They provided a free shuttle to and from the concert which was awesome. The pool area is amazing especially for a Courtyard. The employees are very nice. My only complaint is that they charge $15 for parking. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek M
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is by far the best Courtyard I've stayed at anywhere in the nation. It's brand new so that helps. There is a Golfing Green (astroturf) out in the courtyard area and you can even borrow a couple putters and balls from the desk to work on your short game. Whenever I go to any hotel I really enjoy the Cable having the Guide right on the TV instead of guessing what's on or what's coming up. I enjoyed the design features in the bathroom (cut out for towel in the shower). Overall this is a great Courtyard. One thing to be aware of, it does cost $15 to park overnight. Also if you drive an Electric car Nissan has provided charging stations in the parking lot for you. They have an office nearby.

San Francisco
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I am giving this property five stars for the reasons listed below, however 4.5 stars would be more realistic. I have never given a Courtyard five stars before, but if this is the new prototype (which I was told it was) then they may be on to something provided they make some changes. As usual, I will list pros and cons for easy reading. Also, the hotel opened on July 6 and I stayed there July 22-25.

PROS:

Front desk staff-Professional, helpful, well-dressed, polite.

Pool area-full size swimming pool big enough for four lap lanes, upscale furniture and lounges, several cabanas (no charge), decent sized hot tub.

Gym-Best I have ever seen in a Courtyard, plenty of cardio, tons of free weights and some Life Fitness machines. Also four TRX straps, plenty of mats, medicine balls, and other equipment you would only see in a health club. Room is 1600 square feet. (Two negatives about the gym. Everything is Life Fitness except the ellipticals which is some off-brand, not very good. Also the two HD TV's in the gym get every channel you get in the hotel room, but for some reason the cardio equipment TVs only get 10 channels. I told management about this fact).

Room-Very nice, two high def TV's separate "living area" (not separate room) with couch (more functional than comfortable) very large work desk, very comfortable bed and nice bathroom with glass shower (no bathtub). Small refrigerator.

Lobby area-very comfortable, lots of furniture, also outdoor area lots of comfortable furniture, fire-pit etc., putting green, ping-pong table.

Other pros include electric charging machines in parking area for electric cars, washer dryers onsite and free internet. Good location across street from Spectrum.

CONS

As others have mentioned $15 a night for parking is a money grab pure and simple. Ironically, when I received my bill the parking was not on it.

Breakfast Bistro-Picture a Starbucks with one cashier and one food preparer for 200+ rooms. Four or five breakfast choices ranging from $6.00-$10.95. Our group tried it one morning; stood in line for ten minutes to order, ten more minutes to get our food; half of which was wrong. Next two days we went to Bruegger's Bagels down the street. Bistro is a bad idea, either have a full service restaurant or buffet.

Bar-I didn't use it but some colleagues did. Same area as Bistro. $7.25 for a plastic cup of beer. Colleagues weren't impressed.

No safe in room and bathroom door shuts automatically (doesn't stay open)

So why five stars. Pool area, gym and rooms. Very good location. But, they need to work out some kinks. I am staying there again in two weeks.

Cheers!

Marius

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face pool
1 Thank Marius40
SoCal
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This may be a nice shiny new hotel, but I refuse to pay $15 a night for parking at a Courtyard. This is the ONLY Courtyard in the country that charges. Plenty of other nice hotels in the area that do not charge. The DT is just down the street and just as nice.

5 Thank hiflyer88
South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nice and new but has a couple things about Will probably keep me from staying here again.

Positives:
•Nice, new rooms. Good size, modern, clean.
•Nice pool area and public grounds. Very nice for a Courtyard
•Near the Spectrum
•Several USB ports in the room. I counted four.
Negatives
•Near the Spectrum but not much else. It's basically an Industrial Park.
•$15 charge for Parking? What a joke. It's not a downtown location or even a beach resort and there's no valet parking or garage. This charge alone will probably prevent me from returning.
•The service was average. Most employees are probably new and you wouldn't expect Ritz-Carlton type service at this hotel but they could be a little friendlier.

Overall, the hotel itself was exceptionally nice and it'd be a
good choice for someone traveling on business in the area but for a vacationer there are probably better choices, ones that don't charge you to park your own car outside.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank gc08012014i
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We are rewards members and picked this hotel because we could use our points and get a discount. However after staying here I would have paid full price it was so nice! This hotel was beautifully decorated and designed very well. Although my husband and I stayed here for a night out at the amphitheater we will most likely go back for a night with our son because it is really perfect for children. The pool was amazing, perfect size for adults and children, we loved the lounge area outside with two fire pits, a grass area, putting green, ping pong table, two patio tables for family dining...and this was all outside! The inside also had a very open lounge area, with a nice fire place and bar. I could go on and on with how happy we were staying here. The rooms were nice nothing spectacular but still very nice and I especially loved the shower and design of the bathroom. We will stay here again even though it's only 30 miles from home, just for fun! And we would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a double queen room facing the pool, it was nice and I loved every bit of it. However if you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple