“not a long stay but served the purpose”

Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We used this hotel as a transition night flying out of John Wayne airport. The airport is quite close and it doesn't take long to get there using the shuttle. Rooms were standard Marriott Courtyard rooms - clean with comfortable beds. There was a pool and hot tub but we did not use them. Issue was that the hotel is in a business district so there are no restaurants nearby (save a very expensive one next door). There is kind of a little deli thing in the hotel where you can get "bistro" fare and coffee and there is a little "market" to buy a few things. Staff was friendly and we enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 March 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here over a weekend. We checked in late on Saturday night and I let the staff member know that I had two separate reservations - One for Saturday night and one for Sunday night. I asked if he could link them so we wouldn't have to check out and check back in. He verified that I did have two reservations, but when I asked again about linking the two reservations I was told to just come back the next day to see if we could stay in the same room. I knew that the hotel had a roll-the-dice program in which Marriott Rewards members can earn extra rewards points, food item, etc. I asked if they still had the program and was told they were scaling back on the program, but I was finally offered the dice to see what I would get.

Due to my status (Platinum Premier) we were upgraded to a suite. It was spacious and at the end of the hall, and with layout of the room the common wall was in the living room, so we had no one next to our bedroom. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and hairdryer. There were two flat screen tvs - one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The bathroom was configured such that the wash basin was outside the room with the toilet and tub. The vanity of the wash basin was quite small, and therefore only one person could use it at one time. At times we had to run the water for a few minutes in the shower for it to get hot. The water in the wash basin never did get hot, no matter how long I ran it.

The first morning we were there I went down to the front desk to inquire if we could keep the same room. I wanted this taken care of before we left for the day as we didn't want to take everything with us in the off chance we had to change room. The clerk was able to quickly link my two reservations and assured me that we could stay in the same room.

We enjoyed a quiet afternoon at the pool, which gets great sun in the afternoons! There is also a hot tub. There is parking in front of the hotel, but if you arrive late you may not be able to find a parking spot, but there is a free garage behind the hotel. There is an entrance to the hotel along the side of the building, near the rear for access when parking in the garage. We had no problems with the complimentary WiFi.

The property is one of the new style Courtyards and has a touch screen monitor in the lobby where you can see news headlines, find local restaurants, etc. There are a couple of computers off the lobby, as well as a large flat screen tv with a sofa and complimentary coffee and newspapers. The hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle, but we did not use it this stay. There is also a cafe.

My bill was put under the door and was correct, so check-out went smoothly. At check-out I did let staff know about the hot water issue and let them know that we could hear the alarm clock in the room next to us. They were going to check on both issues. We'll be back in a couple of months!

Room Tip: Courtyard view is nice
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UOtterTravel
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We picked this hotel because it was close to the John Wayne Airport and in between the cities of Irvine and Newport Beach. It was located on a good thoroughfare which connected us to several places we wanted to visit. We had a room that overlooked the courtyard, pool and fire pit. The price was reasonable, but my son thought we had a good price because it was during the winter season. It was clean and modern. Breakfast is served, but it is not included in the price of the room. Internet was free! We always appreciate this. I was also glad they were good at recommending places to eat since we were new to the area and had no idea where to start. They handed us a well-organized paper listing the nearby restaurants, the types and the directions. We were there for a pleasure trip, but this is also a good business hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crteach
Cindy H, Director of Sales at Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Crteach,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear that our staff was able to assist you with all of your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The hotel is located a few km from the John Wayne Airport and has easy access to the 405 Freeway. It is not a few km from the campus of UC Irvine. This hotel was not up to the same standards as the other hotels of the Courtyard Marriott group. The response on check-in was a bit perfunctory. The most negative aspect of the stay was that the room walls were paper thin - and the rooms did not appear to be acoustically isolated from one another - rather disconcerting and unpleasant to say the least. The "so-called" Main Street is actually a six-lane speedway. There are only a few restaurants within walking distance. If you visit this hotel without a car, you will be stranded as there are few services/stores within easy walking distance. In summary, this Courtyard/Marriott is an OK but it is an uninspiring place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the highways.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear ae6378137,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback and I will make sure that your concerns are addressed.

If you would like to discuss your stay with further, please feel free to reach out to me at anytime via email at cindy.han-reta@marriott.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed 20 February 2013

During my stay I was so disappointing with not only the service but lack of sleep I experienced. We were placed in a room that had constant noise from a facility door leading to the outside opening and closing. This was a very important trip for us and not getting any sleep left a sour taste in my mouth. Many amenities were lacking to top it off. Even simple things like enough towels in the room or the "free coffee" at 8:00am. Often times we pick Marriott not just for work events and functions but personal trips as well. However, my experience here was so dreadful I do not think that is going to be the case. Around 7am the slamming door stopped and then a cleaning person decided 8am was the perfect time to vacuum outside my door. We decided to leave early to have a little bit of serenity in our vehicle. I spoke to the front desk during check out and could not even receive an "I am sorry" wrote the GM and no response. Terrible customer service that is not the way to treat paying customers.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kourtney L
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Good basic hotel for business or family trips and reasonably priced. The staff was very professional and friendly. Location is convenient, close to the 405 freeway. The late 2:00 p.m. check-out was a nice bonus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Jamboree.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Poggy2002,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in both our hotel and service and we are happy to hear that we were able to accomodate you with both.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed here last year for a work related training and the amenities were good.

It was very convenient and more affordable to get my beer and wine from the Irvine Market liquor store (2540 Main St) that was walking distance from the hotel. I bought a cupcake merlot wine for $8.49 and a 6 pack of shocktop beer for $8.99. So you can compare this to the beer/wine prices at hotel.

I asked the hotel for a corkscrew and they had that for me.

All and all this hotel was close to my training and the Irvine Market walking distance away made my 2 night stay pleasant. Next to the Irvine Market is a few cafes to eat at too. The front-desk was nice too.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Ecomango,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here in Irvine and we made your work trip a little more pleasent for you.

Thank you again! We hope to welcome you back soon!