“Way too Expensive - Construction All Around - Update Lobby”

Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
San Diego, California
“Way too Expensive - Construction All Around - Update Lobby”
Reviewed 2 March 2009

First off, the lobby in this "traditional" Courtyard is recently renovated. When I mean tradition, I mean the rooms are designed around a central courtyard with pool and spa. The lobby has over 8 computers although download speeds were pretty slow in my opinion. The lobby had a "bistro" still cafe. I did not try the food. I only stayed one night. I drove in late for an early meeting with a client.

The rooms were your typical courtyard. Very dissappointed with the TV. A 19-inch CRT Philipps TV. Are you kidding me? The room did have a refrigerator, both wired and wireless internet. Room was clean and bed comfortable.

There is construction going on right next to the hotel. Taking up all the convenient parking in front of the hotel. You have to park in the back and drag all your stuff through the hotel. Only 1 elevator was working in this 4 story hotel at the time. I wish the front desk clerk would've told me instead of me dragging my laptop briefcase, luggage, and my presentation materials for my client to an elevator that wasnt working.

In the morning, construction was blocking the driveways and roadway with no detour signs to help you out. Why no detours for travelers who are not familiar with the complex?

I paid $230 with taxes for this place. Way too expensive. I stayed here only because it was close to my client and my meeting was at 815 am.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Great location, nice pool, front desk staff was VERY accomodating!! There's construction on the street in front of it so its a little confusing to get there but lets be honest, we're adults and can figure out how to get to the parking lot.

Great breakfast and I got food poisoning from a restaurant in laguna beach so the next morning the kitchen made me home made applesauce because thats all I could digest...I thought that was WAY beyond the call of duty and I won't forget it.

Another good Courtyard property!

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I like Courtyard Hotels...

Good clean rooms, Good value, No pompous staff or pretence, just good clean value hotel, with nice open courtyard surroundings. This hotel is no different.

Good location, close to restuarants and freeways etc.

Easy to find, on the corner of intersection of Jamboree and Main Street.

Stayed November 2004
Grover Beach, California
Reviewed 1 October 2006

When we checked in the front desk staff was extremely pleasant and efficient. Our two requests were ignored (a low floor and a refridgerator in our room. I'm glad we brought our travel fridge.)

The parking situation is a disaster if you have more than one or two pieces of light luggage. There are two parking areas, one at the very front of the hotel with very limited parking (maybe 20 spots) that fill up extremely quickly. The other is a parking garage with no direct access to the hotel. There's actually NO entrance facing the parking garage. There are two luggage carts at the front desk for use, but no help is available. I suggest packing light. There are only two elevators in the hotel, essentially at opposite ends of the hotel.

The hotel room itself is rather small compared to other courtyards we've stayed in. Nonetheless, the room was immaculately clean, smelled nicely and had plenty of pillows on the bed. There was a balcony over looking the pool and a busy city street which I loved. Sorrily that's about where my happiness with this hotel ends.

The counter space for the bathroom is beyond tiny. My husband and I each had an overnight kit (toothbrush, toothpaste etc) and we had to remove them from the counter in order for the other person to put theirs on. Meanwhile the toilet/shower area is very expansive (ie. wasted space).

The air conditioner was by far the loudest I've ever heard. You'd think with the airport being only a few blocks away the plane noise is what would keep you up. Not so. The air conditioner drowned even the loudest setting on the television with relative ease. For a light sleeper this would mean a disasterous night, luckily neither of us are terribly light sleepers.

Speaking of televisions, the television was a story in itself. The volume was uncontrolable. So loud at commercials it hurt our ears, so quite during the show you could barely hear it. The remote never left our hand while we had the tv on, we were constantly adjusting the volume. The picture was grainy, fuzzy and sometimes nearly unusable.

The free "high speed" internet was anything but "high speed". It was usually MUCH slower than your average dial up connection. Connecting to most major websites (ie news sites) was nearly impossible if there were any graphics at all. Even text based pages were slow to load to the point where I actually gave up trying to use the internet all together. This was quite frustrating to do any work with the web.

Now on to breakfast. The first day we were there happened to be a sunday. We were quite pleased with the selection of foods on the $10 per person buffet. (No it's not free). However, that was the ONLY day with a good selection. The selection went from scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fruit, oatmeal, breads/muffins, yogurt, cold cereal and waffles... To waffles, bacon sausage, potatoes and scrambled eggs. Now if your not following here, the selection dropped to less than half of the Sunday menu. The selections did not change at all for the remaining 7 days we were there. The service at the buffet (for juice, coffee etc) was extremely hit and miss. Tipping the staff didn't seem to help at all so the tips steadily decreased as the service decreased. (Yes, a tip is expected.) This was by far the worst, most unimaginative buffet breakfast at a courtyard we've had yet. Definately not worth the $10 per person if you have the ability to go out. Even the free 24 hour coffee is not very complete. No lids for the cups, nothing to stir your coffee with.

Which brings me to the little store they say they have. My husband and I were a bit hungry so he went down to find out what's in the store. A candy bar or some ice cream would have sufficed but the selection was more than dim. 3 types of cookies, 3 types of frozen dinners (which there are no microwaves in the rooms to heat them with), two varieties of soda, and bottled water rounded out the choices for this "store". I never even got to look at the prices because I was rather dissatisfied with the selections.

While we were there none of the soda vending machines worked. This was very disappointing for a caffiene addict who hates coffee and tea!

The housekeeping staff was extraordinarily pleasant. We ended up leaving one staff member a $20 tip for helping us so much with getting us towels when we needed them, on our hectic schedule. I was very pleased with the attentiveness of the housekeeping staff.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again. Not because of the service but rather the amenities. It seems that for the near $220 a night we paid to stay here that at least our internet could have worked, and breakfast could have been a smidge more imaginative.

I will say this hotel would likely be a fine choice for one or two nights on a business trip, but for any length of time I would find somewhere a little more travel friendly.

• Liked — The Front Desk & Housekeeping staff was excellent
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — PACK LIGHT!!!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank yvieinca
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 13 April 2006

We stayed at this hotel when we went to Disneyland earlier this month. The distance to Disneyland was not bad at all. We were impressed with the room because it had a couch rather than just a chair and there seemed to be plenty of room. The room was modernly decorated. We didn't see any bugs and the hotel seemed to be in good condition. Some things that did not impress us were: the buffet looked like something I have seen at hotels with complimentary breakfasts. It is not worth the $9.95 pp they charge. Because of this, we went to McDonalds every day, which is just down the street. Also-something that really grossed me out was that the maid actually re-folded our wet towels both days she cleaned and hung them back up. I have previously stayed at hotels where there was a small sign stating that they are trying to conserve energy and would like you to re-use towels if possible. You are given instructions on where to place your towels if they are dirty and where to place them when they can be re-used. I have no problem with that. However, in this case, our towels had been on the floors either in the bathroom or in the hotel room (both which have millions of germs) and the lady hung them back up. They were still wet in many places. It made me sick to my stomach and I found it very unsanitary. I would advise this hotel to put a sign up-otherwise...ask for fresh towels daily because who knows what your towels have on them!! Probably won't stay here again-pretty average.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank AmyinLasVegas
seattle
Reviewed 24 February 2006

This is close by hotel to the orange county airport, clean, easy to get to from the airport- if you are going to Disneyland it is not very close- 30-45 minutes in traffic. Not a hotel for families- better for business people.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank leesh
Dallas
Reviewed 26 October 2004

We spent two nights at the Courtyard in early October and the hotel was very nice. The rooms are clean and enough space for two people to stay comfortably. I believe they have just refurbished the rooms and the beds were very comfortable. The hotel staff was very attentive and friendly. The location of the hotel is great and the area seems to be fairly quiet. Irvine is a nice area and very safe. Lots of things to do in the area. If you are going to Disneyland, stay here and make the short drive.

• Stayed January 2005