“Pretty Good for a Courtyard”

Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Portland, Maine
“Pretty Good for a Courtyard”
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This is a standard Courtyard property. Everything is as you'd expect. What makes this place nice is they have a snack bar/restaurant in the lobby, that prepares your meals, and nice seating areas. The food is pretty good, if you want a sandwich or an easy breakfast. This place also has a nice seating area outside, with a fire pit. So you can take your food, or just your drink from the bar (full service) and relax outside. The value is average, but it's a great location to John Wayne airport and only 25 minutes to Long Beach airport.

The drive to beaches is also not that far, so the location is pretty good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Utah
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Very modern and hip lobby. Rooms are standard fare -- like 90% of other couryards. The place was a "good" courtyard with very friendly staff. My only complaint is the workout room which was small for a hotel of this size.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank UtahMikester
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I was revolted by the stench - stale old food or something else - I have no idea. It was enough to make me gag. The room didn't see affected by the hallway stench but the whole place was pretty lackluster and the common areas weren't that comfortable or inviting since they were right off the front desk. I suppose I'm comparing this to the Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn common areas which I am find enjoyable and accessible. There is also practically nothing within walking distance. Since I'm a business traveler, I want somewhere to unwind at day's end. It was happening here at this stink pot. Also, the rooms are tiny compared with most other suites hotels in the area at the same price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Wakefield, MA
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Spent two nights here on a business trip - won't again. Central location, but can't get to it right off the street, have to find your way through the entrance through a business park, but that's no big deal. Very busy area (Jamboree and Main), very noisy, even in the early morning.

Very nice lobby area, welcoming and friendly staff, very nice courtyard area, (where a resident rabbit hopped out to greet me!) etc. They have a few parking spaces out front, but you'll likely end up in the garage out back, not a huge issue, but if I were alone at night it could be a bit creepy.

The room itself is a bit "tired," particularly the bathroom. Very disappointed in the amenities, frankly you get better ones at a Comfort Inn, for half the price. Lots of scuff marks on the molding, the tub drain area had been "patched", and took forever to drain, so you're standing in a pool of water the whole time. The toilet was something else, when one flushed, the water is apparently under such pressure it "explodes," and is very loud and startling. Went to get ice, (and ice bucket had no liner, so that's not the most sanitary thing) and was pleased to see they showed on signs and in the hotel guide that there was a machine on my floor, "right near the fitness center." Well, after looking for it for ten minutes, went to the desk and was told, "Oh, it's not there any longer, when we redid the fitness center we took it out. You just have to go to the bar and they'll get you ice." Great. "We do have to get all those signs changed." Uh huh.

They provided two bottles of water, one in the ice bucket and one in the refrigerator but then one sees the little sign telling you that they'll charge you $2.50 for it. I went to Target and got my own supplies. The room was pretty clean, but I did find a piece of candy left by a previous occupant on the air conditioner when I checked in and the cleaning staff obviously had missed that.

They say they have wireless internet, well, I couldn't get it to work, nor could someone else traveling with me in another room, so had to resort to their wired ethernet, which did work just fine.

The pool in the courtyard was empty and shutdown, with a paper sign, "Pool Closed, Due to Continuous Improvement Efforts" so that was yet another disappointment. By the time I checked out the pool had been refilled, but not yet open.

They do have a "bistro" area with sandwiches, breakfast items, etc. in the lobby, and I tried the "Breakfast BLT" and that was very good. If you don't feel like going out anywhere it's a good option, not cheap, but not outrageous.

I expect more from a Marriott and pay for it....and this hotel was a very big disappointment. We send a lot of people to this area for work, but will put them up somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2009

For a hotel close to the airport, this place is great. The entrance doesn't pop right out at you due to the construction, but it's on the corner and not that hard to find. Front desk staff was more than helpful and accomodated our needs almost immediately. Bathroom/closet area is a bit small, but for a short stay is fine.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
California, USA
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Stayed here 5 days for a business trip. Irvine is a really safe and easy city to get around. The hotel is close to many restaurants, business parks and shopping centers. It's adjacent to 2 office towers and parking ramps. The elevator was not functional the day I needed to check out, very inconvenient. The lobby is newly renovated and the business center is equipped with 4+ computer, which is very nice. It is a bit expensive, but that's typical of Irvine.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 March 2009

First off, the lobby in this "traditional" Courtyard is recently renovated. When I mean tradition, I mean the rooms are designed around a central courtyard with pool and spa. The lobby has over 8 computers although download speeds were pretty slow in my opinion. The lobby had a "bistro" still cafe. I did not try the food. I only stayed one night. I drove in late for an early meeting with a client.

The rooms were your typical courtyard. Very dissappointed with the TV. A 19-inch CRT Philipps TV. Are you kidding me? The room did have a refrigerator, both wired and wireless internet. Room was clean and bed comfortable.

There is construction going on right next to the hotel. Taking up all the convenient parking in front of the hotel. You have to park in the back and drag all your stuff through the hotel. Only 1 elevator was working in this 4 story hotel at the time. I wish the front desk clerk would've told me instead of me dragging my laptop briefcase, luggage, and my presentation materials for my client to an elevator that wasnt working.

In the morning, construction was blocking the driveways and roadway with no detour signs to help you out. Why no detours for travelers who are not familiar with the complex?

I paid $230 with taxes for this place. Way too expensive. I stayed here only because it was close to my client and my meeting was at 815 am.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business