“Clean,Safe,half a mile from John Wayne airport”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 January 2010

This hotel is 4 lights from John Wayne airport, safe area, easy parking, very clean near very good fine dining restaurants like Tuscany Mediterranee Grill Italian restaurant and MCcormiksmith and eltorito near by, friendly staff and great drivers to pick you up from the airport.
all you need right there near you.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 November 2009

We were needing a hotel for just one night post-cruise for our flight the following day out of the OC airport. We traveled via rental car up from San Diego. After dropping off the car at the airport because we did not want to pay $15 a night to park, we called the hotel which has an option on its recording for choosing shuttle service, we were picked up within ten minutes. They run the shuttles every half hour. We checked into our room with a hitch and were given a king suite on the fourth floor. I was not expecting a room as nice as the one we were given considering the price we paid. There was a living area, a small hallway kitchen area and then a separate bedroom. The hotel was very quiet by the time we arrived at around 9 pm on a Thursday evening. We did not get to take advantage or the nightly reception. We also didn't need internet but could have used the lobby computers.
The breakfast in the morning was the best I think I've ever had at a hotel. They let you fill a little bowl of the ingredients you want for your omelet and then they make it while you wait. They also have pancakes, hash browns, sausage and bacon served from that station. In addition, they have yogurt, pastries, cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, etc. along with several kinds of juices and coffee. You can eat there in the atrium or take your food back to your room as they supply trays.
Check out was easy and the shuttle had us at the airport in less than ten minutes.
I would highly, highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank casauder
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I stayed for 2 weeknights at the Embassy Suites in Irvine on a business trip. The service was superb, from the people behind the desk, to the cleaning staff, to the bartender at the Manager's Reception -- daily from 5:30 to 7:30 featuring an open bar in the beautiful open atrium. The continental breakfast is also superb, featuring cooked-to-order omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. Having stayed at an ES in Baltimore only 2 weeks earlier, this was a much-improved experience overall, and one of the better ES's I've been to ever. Wireless internet is normally $9.95 a day, but there are computers in the lobby that are free to use, and I booked a $169 per night business rate which included the internet in the rate. There are many eating establishments a short walk or ride away from the hotel, but the restaurants Ha' Penny restaurant also had a very nice menu and my meal and service was very good.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Villette N
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I don't know what the other options are in the area as my business travel dictated a stay at this particular hotel, but I would check others out (if you have the option to do so) before making a reservation at this particular Embassy Suites.

On the plus side: The rate seemed reasonable and the breakfast is always a plus (the omelet cook was particularly pleasant each and every morning).

On the negative side, it was noisy in the evenings in the hotel "restaurant/bar" and even though I was not above the restaurant or anywhere near it, the noise from the patrons travels really well due to the fact that all the rooms face the atrium. As to the room itself, the shower head height is unmovable (not that you'd want to touch it, mind you) and relatively low. I'm not a giant, but I am on the tall side and the shower head was too low for me. I can only imagine how tricky it is for people 6 feet and above.

What really caused the hotel to get a lackluster review from me was an action by a member of the front desk staff. I asked for a taxi to be called and, unbeknownst to me, they called a private car instead. When a private car arrived, I balked, but he quoted me a fare and insisted that the fare was the same as a taxi for my destination. While I highly doubted that, I figured it would at least be in the same range give or take a dollar or two and I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Well, based on the taxi fare for the same traffic pattern (i.e., my return to the hotel via taxi later on in the day with the same levels of traffic volume and the same route), I got majorly ripped off. I was very miffed, especially as (1) I had specifically asked the front desk to call a taxi and (2) the front desk worker all but likely got a kickback from the driver. The front desk was busy later than evening when I returned so I didn't want to make a scene nor get the particular worker in trouble ,so I opted to call the front desk supervisot the next morning to explain the situation and express my consternation. He agreed that the front desk employee likely got a kickback and that they should have heeded my request for a taxi. While he was nice about trying to rectify the situation, my experience at this hotel was marred nonetheless.

Also, they charge $9.99 per day for internet (unless you get a package or special offer I suppose). A lot of hotels are starting to charge again for internet though, so this is not a factor. I figured to mention it though as a "fyi".

In general, I will look to stay somewhere else should my future travels include Irvine, CA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank kala327
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I checked in Sunday and when I got back Monday ...I found that due to flooding in my room after I left my possessions were moved to a new room #704. Well all seemed to be going well until the next day I had what I thought were about 5 new mosquito bites on my shoulders and arms....the next day I had about 10 new bites on my legs, back and neck. They itched like you would not believe...worse than mosquito bites. They did not look like mosquito bites. After some research and an examination of the bed I found BED BUGS...2 little apple seed sized bugs in the edge at the bottom of the mattress. The front desk moved me to another room and the rest of my stay was bug free. They gave me free parking $15 dollars a day (which in itself is ridiculous). I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeddem
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I recently stayed a week at the Embassy Suites in Irvine with family and must say that the hotel only enhanced the overall experience. The room was clean and functional, but the best part was the 10th story view looking out over Orange County. The service was superb, from the people behind the desk, to the cleaning staff, to the bartenders at the Manager's Reception -- a daily occurrence from 5:30 to 7:30 featuring an open bar in the beautiful open atrium. The continental breakfast is also superb, featuring cooked-to-order omelets.

The only drawbacks that come to mind are the extra fees. Parking is $15 a day, unless you stay a fair while in which case the price drops to $10. Wireless internet is also around $10 a day, but there are computers in the lobby that are free to use. To be honest, however, if you are able to book the hotel at a decent price on a deal-seeker website, these fees can be more than negated.

The final major selling point of this hotel is the location. Pending cooperative traffic, you're only a short trip away from Newport Beach, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza, LA, and much more. If you're looking for a delicious dining experience, Agora Churrascaria is merely two blocks up Main Street.

Not only would I stay at this hotel again, I am considering making Embassy Suites my go-to hotel for every destination.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ekardi
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Bathrooms are small and outdated. The shower head was hanging out of the wall. The room smelled a bit like dirty socks and the bed was not up to typical HIlton standards.
Don't get me wrong, for the price it's a decent hotel but I doubt I would stay here again. More misses than hits and I can do without the constant flow of kids playing in the elevators. Plus having to pay for internet at an Embassy Suites is a joke.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple