“Rude Front Desk”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I stayed at this property on 1-10-13. Upon check in Miguel at the front desk told me he could not honor AAA discount since they are close to capacity!!!! I thought that was a strange policy so I asked for the manager and found out that there is no truth to what Miguel said. Overall both Miguel and Andrea Anderson were rude.

The property is dated and not up to standard of its competitors. Within a 2 mile radius there is Fairmont, Marriott, and a Hyatt that are much, much better in terms of the property and service, for essentially the same money. I live local and have stayed at all these properties dozens of times. Go to Marriott on von Karmen or Fairmont a mile down the street for a much better hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank keyvank1
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Keyvank1,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for our shortcoming in the service department and will certainly address your concern. As for availability of rates, many times they are predicated on supply and demand and we do adhere to a daily yielding process to ensure we maintain rate integrity. Our associates are entrusted to carry out these responsibilities, but it appears our delivery was not consistent with our service standard, and for that I am truly sorry. I hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA in the near future, that you would allow us another opportunity to better serve you.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Provided nice hhonors greeting and waters/vouchers at check in. Hhonors floor 7 was high enough to be quiet which was great being so close to airport. The floor was also undergoing renovation in elevator area during my stay.

Lobby area and cafe was nice and updated. Pool area and patio felt old. I think the interior upgrades will improve overall feel of the property.

Why the average rating? Hotel still had a work in progress feel to it. Double beds were surprisingly uncomfortable and small. Self parking charge of $19 seemed a bit high. Internet access was spoty.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Spi-kids_LA,

Thank you for the candid review of our hotel. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed many aspects of it during your stay and certainly respect the areas you felt we need improvement. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of any repairs being made while you were here but I can assure you all improvements are made with you, our valued, guest in mind.

I have shared your comments with the Team and will address the areas of concern indicated.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and if travels bring you once again to Irvine, CA we hope that you will once again chose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Very stylish lobby, I thought i was in for a treat. But that was pretty much the high note. Rooms are average, nothing to brag about. I do want to mention that they have huge flatscreen TVs, maybe even 50". Hotel is located across from the John Wayne airport. It is convenient for overnight stays.

Now the bad. The in-room wireless internet constantly cuts in and out. Even when it is in, the internet is slow. I think i just went back to the 90s because it feels like i am running on a choppy dial-up modem that loses connection every 3 minutes. With the advancement of wireless routers coupled with their rapid drop in price, there is no excuse for a hilton brand hotel in the city to have this level of internet access.

I will NOT return to this hotel on business. With everything being 'in the cloud', internet access is a basic necessity. A Hilton hotel without decent internet access is a shame!

Also, as a veteran Diamond member, i did not receive any Diamond benefits. No bottled water, no room upgrade, no greeting at check-in. Am I at a Hilton??

Since I can't work without internet access, i decided to try the fitness center. Great cardio machines but maintenance detail is lacking, the digital scale was out of battery rendering it useless.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason T

Dear Jason T,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincerer apologies for the inconvenience of a spotty internet and lack of service you experienced. It is our intent to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of every guest and certainly acknowledge valued Diamond members such as yourself.

I have shared your comments with the Team and will address all the concerns indicated in continued efforts to improve our product and services.

If travels bring you to Irvine, CA again, we hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2013

This hotel and it's staff is amazing!! They took care of all my needs for the night. If I checked their prices online prior to making other reservations elsewhere, I would have stayed there every night rather than stay elsewhere. They had an incredible room that was spacious and had excellent water pressure. Other hotels did not compare to the Hilton in Irvine, California.
I was able to use the Internet in the lobby without a cost. The breakfast buffet was delectable as it came with an omelet station, which allowed the diner to choose various toppings to add to the entree. The server Betty took care of all my needs during the meal as did the hotel staff.
I would highly recommend the Hilton chain for your stays in southern california!

Room Tip: Be nice to your customer representatives as they have a difficult job handling all the guests needs...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear N W,

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the many aspects of our facility from our warm and professional guest services, well appointed accommodations and our highly acclaimed omelet station. I must say that feature is a real treat to many and glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it.

Should travels bring you once again to Irvine, CA, we hope that you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes for a bright and prosperous New Year!

Reviewed 25 December 2012

This hotel is located across form the John Wayne Airport. Great location for business travel. Food and service were good. Would stay here again. On-site parking is expensive however but they have a free shuttle to/from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Dear InterntlTraveler10,

Thank you kindly for the great review of our hotel. I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed our location and our services.

If travels bring you to Irvine, CA in the near future, we hope that you will once again choose the Hiton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

Wishing you and yours a Bright, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Reviewed 23 December 2012

I stayed at this property on the recommendation of a co-worker. Upon checking and requesting a quiet room, I was able to get access to my room around noon which was a nice accommodation. Upon entering my room I noticed that there was a lot of hair on the floor of the bathroom and in the tub. I called down to the front desk to inform them and they stated they would send housekeeping up. That worked for me as I was leaving the property for a work meeting. I returned at 10:00 pm to find that housekeeping never came to my room. The next morning at 8:30 there was banging and pounding around my room which I initially thought was housekeeping in a room around me. I looked out my window to find construction workers removing part of the siding of the building right below my room. I had multiple conference calls to take from my room which was not going to be productive with all the noise. I also went to make coffee in the morning and there was no coffee pot in my room, only the tray with the coffee packets and cups.

I contacted the front desk and the response back on the housekeeping issue was "Yes, you talked to me yesterday about the issue, sorry, no one is perfect" and to the lack of a coffee maker "Why didn't you tell us last night." On the construction noise I was informed "Well at least it didn't start until 9:00." At this point I decided to move to another Hilton property for the rest of my business trip.

Side note, the restaurant has a limited lunch menu but my fish tacos were good as was my co-worker's sandwich. The breakfast buffet was average. The complimentary shuttle service from the airport and to a 3 mile radius around the hotel was nice amenity.

With the less than stellar staff attitude and the noise from the planes that you can hear through the windows in your room I would recommend staying else where. There are many hotels that offer complimentary airport shuttle service just down the road.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelseeker1125

Dear Travelseeker1125,

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for your less than memorable stay at our hotel. I read with dismay the many areas we failed you and for that I am truly sorry. I have shared your comments with the Team and with the appropriate department heads to ensure similar incidents are avoided and we are consistently providing quality service to you, our valued guest, every day, every stay.

Your feedback is invaluable to us in our continuing efforts to ensure we are adhering to the Hilton principles and more importantly that we are meeting your standard and your satisfaction.

I hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA again, you will give us another opportunity and if you contact me direct, I am happy to give your reservation my personal attention.

Warmest Regards and all the best to you and yours for a Bright, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

You can walk from the airport ( across the street ) or they will come and pick you up. Close to South Coast Plaza and easy freeway access.
Room was large and the bed warm and comfy. Another nice Hilton hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the airport.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear ChrisandHolli,

Thank you kindly for your great review of our hotel and services. I do agree that we are ideally situated not only to John Wayne Airport but to so many attractions and much more. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA again you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

All the best for a bright and prosperous New Year!