“Definitely a cut above the average airport hotel”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I typically don't expect much from airport-adjacent hotels, but this place is nicer than most.

You wouldn't really know it from the outside--pulling up to this place, the appearance screams "generic, dated hotel probably built sometime between the late 1960s and late 1970s." But once I checked in, I was quite satisfied. The rooms are large and super-clean, the furnishings are quite decent for this class of hotel, and the mattress and bedding are very, very comfortable. (I was given an "Executive Level" room, whatever that might mean, so I can't swear that the "standard" rooms are the same, but I would suspect that any differences are relatively minor.) The room's HVAC system worked very well and was easy and efficient to operate and control. The bathroom, while nothing fancy, was well-maintained and in good working order, and decently laid out.

Despite the proximity to the airport (it's literally right across the street from the airport), there was no noticeable jet noise or other airport noise in the rooms. In fact, the only annoying noises I heard, which did come at an unfortunately early time of the morning, was not from planes but rather from other flying objects, namely, some loud and annoying honking from a flock of geese or other similar waterfowl that seemed to have taken up temporary residence next to the hotel for an hour or so. Certainly nothing that was the hotel staff's fault or that could have been avoided, and probably not a common occurrence. My dealings with the staff were limited, but in general they were quite professional, cordial, and welcoming.

The common areas aren't particularly exciting, but they're fine. There's a decent workout room, with exercise equipment that seems to be properly maintained and in good working order. There is a large outdoor pool/Jacuzzi area that's quite nice for a hotel in this class.

The price, including tax, was under $200 with a AAA discount for my "Executive" room, which isn't bad for this area. Wi-Fi access was included for that price, though I think they charge for Wi-Fi in the standard rooms. Based on how it worked in my room at least, it wouldn't be worth paying for--the signal was spotty and it was slow (using cellular data was actually quite a bit faster, so I didn't even bother with the Wi-Fi). Self-parking costs an extra $16 a day, which seems like a lot for a outdoor parking in a lot, especially in this Orange County location (it would be a good price for downtown L.A., but I think that many places in this area don't charge for parking at all, so this seemed a bit unfair to me).

All in all, this was much nicer than I expected out of an older Hilton at the airport, and I certainly would not hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank cyberluddite
HiltonIrvineGM, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review about your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We have a fantastic Housekeeping team and they were very pleased to read your review.

I appreciate the detailed feedback, especially on the wireless service. We are investing the issue you experienced further to ensure that it does not repeat.

Again – thank you for your review and we hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have stayed at this Hilton previously as it is within walking distance of the main office of my company. There was a car and audio show going on that Sunday night. I was very tired due to the time change and tried to go to sleep around 11:00 PM. My room was on the fifth floor and the intermittent noise in the parking lot kept me up to almost 1:00. I am a very sound sleeper yet I was woken up at 4:00AM by a group noisily loading a rental truck beneath my room. I called room service and the response was to send up earplugs and say sorry instead of telling the people to stop loading the truck. A number of my coworkers also staying at the Hilton complained of the noise, one of whom had to insist on having his room changed at 4:00 in the morning. We were told we would get a gift voucher but none of us have received anything. I have been pleased with my Hilton experiences as you can see by my stays, but this was absolutely inexcusable.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Please accept my sincere apologies for our failure to provide you with a more comfortable experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the noise. I apologize that you didn’t get the sleep you deserved.

Your experience certainly does not represent the level of comfort and tranquility we customarily provide.

I do hope that should your travels bring you back to Irvine, you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location, directly across from the John Wayne airport in Orange County. The hotel shuttle allows me to not rent a car, which is appreciated. In addition to the hotel's, there are several good restaurants within walking distance. Very friendly, accommodating staff.

1  Thank David G

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.
We are happy that you found our hotel to be conveniently and centrally located.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

For the price, this hotel is very average. The staff is relatively friendly and efficient, but the valet parking attendant was unfriendly and unwelcoming. Breakfast was okay but not worth the high price. Room was clean and acceptable but not reflective of the price.

Darren,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us earlier this month.
I apologize for the manner in which our Valet Parking Attendant conducted himself.
Ours is a people business and there is simply no excuse for rudeness of any kind.

Thank you for the feedback on your breakfast experience.
Your candor is very helpful as we focus our efforts on enhancing our breakfast offerings.

We know you have a choice when you travel and I hope that should your travels bring you back to Orange County, you will allow us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here when I flew into California to begin our roadtrip from Cali to Michigan. He got us a suite so the room was very nice and it felt very clean. They had an excellent bar that had later hours which was nice because I got in to Irvine after 10pm. They had excellent bar food. We got lettuce wraps and a flat bread pizza. Every employee we interacted with was wonderful there. It is VERY close to the airport as well, not even a 2 minute drive. I probably could have walked from the airport instead of getting picked up. They did not have a continental breakfast so we did not eat there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Jenna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel in May and thanks for making us the starting point on your California to Michigan road trip.

I am happy that you enjoyed your visit.
Our Food & Beverage team loved reading your comments. Our evening culinary team was very excited by your feedback – thank you.

We do offer a full breakfast which is served in our main restaurant on the lobby level daily.
I’m sorry that you missed the chance to enjoy it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was nice. It was your standard Hilton. Lobby was nice with a bar and eating area. The room was clean. We stayed in the 2 double room. No compliants with the room. Room service was good. The only issue I had was the lack of communication. I was not aware that there was a breakfast that was offerred and my family and I ended up at IHOP down the street when we could have had free breakfast. it would have been nice if we were told that was an option. Other than that, great location to the airport...literally right across the street. And there was no outside noise from the airport either which was nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HiltonIrvineGM, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback on the communication regarding breakfast options.
Your comments are a great help to us. Thank you.

I am glad that your overall stay met your expectations and that you were able to get a good nights rest.

We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Orange County Hilton is a wonderful place to stay. The service and food are excellent. The room is nice, clean, and amazingly quiet. And it is under 5 minutes from the airport which is very convenient if you are arriving on an late evening flight.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Linda,

Thank you for the great review.
I shared your comments with our team and you absolutely made their day.
They all work very hard to provide the experience you detailed.

Thank you and we look forward to being of service to you again soon.