“Indifferent Service - Noisy”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Indifferent Service - Noisy”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here recently for a youth sports tournament nearby.

The positives:
Nicely redone property - sleek and modern, West Elm looking decor. (Still has the popcorn ceilings though!)
Food at the hotel was very good, better than your standard hotel fare, with healthy and interesting options.
Good pool for kids

The negatives:
As noted previously, the property is right next to the airport so it should be no surprise that there was a fair amount of air traffic noise in the evenings and mornings. I am a light sleeper and found this extremely annoying, but it did not seem to bother my kids in the least.
We upgraded to the "Executive Level" for $40 more per night, but really there were no perks in this upgrade. No club room with snacks, not a bigger room, etc. I asked at the front desk what we were getting for our $40 and she said being on the top floor was quieter and we got more "room amenities" Not sure what these room amenities were, but our room seemed exactly the same as our friends who paid $40 less.
This is a perfectly ok property and if you were there for a conference or had an early flight and wanted to be close to the airport, I suppose it would be ok. I was planning to give the Hilton 3 stars until the next day I discovered I had left my make-up bag in the room. I called the front desk to inform them (we had teammates still there and I wanted them to pick it up and bring it back with them) and the person I talked to looked on some sort of "housekeeping log" and couldn't find a record that a make-up bag was found. This staff member didn't seem to concerned about my loss - not even an "I'm sorry, what else can I do to help?" I asked to speak with the housekeeping manager and was sent to a vm. I left a message, and when I didn't hear back within a few hours, left another message. I spoke with another family that stayed there with us and they had the same experience over a swimsuit that was left in the hotel restaurant. They called the front desk and were told they didn't have it and nothing was done to try and resolve the situation. In all fairness, I did receive a call 4 days later from the housekeeping manager apologizing for just getting back, but at that point I had already replaced all of the missing items so it didn't really matter.
I can not recommend this property due to their lack of concern over the items mistakenly left there. Especially a Hilton of this caliber.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HiltonIrvineGM, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our failure to appropriately address the lost and found item and for our apparent indifference to your situation. I appreciate your comments as it certainly highlighted some opportunities in our processes. Your feedback will help us to improve.

We know you have a choice when you travel and certainly hope that should your travels bring you back to Irvine, you will allow us to demonstrate the service I know we are capable of providing.

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Alpharetta, Ga
Reviewed 8 August 2014

As a loyal Hilton guest, I expect certain things at the different Hilton brand hotels. On my last stay at this property, I was somewhat disappointed with 3 things. The breakfast buffet, the parking and the water pressure in the room.
The breakfast buffet was one of the worse I have come across in a long time. They had some of the strangest fruits for the morning I have ever seen. They had one type of melon, cherries, plums and nectarines. The hot food was the same each morning with limited choices. The menu was about the same with the choices. For a full service Hilton, this was a surprise.
The parking, now that was a joke. I paid $18.00 dollars for parking which is highway robbery, since it is there lot and doesn't even have a attendant. The last thing was the water pressure in the shower or I should say, lack of! The sink had more pressure then the shower.
Other then these 3 things, its a nice property and is well maintained.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us.

I apologize for our failure to meet some very basic expectations.
I appreciate your comments on your breakfast experience.
Our fresh fruit offerings are consistent with what is in season in Southern California this time of year. I am sorry if this did not meet your needs. Your comments have been shared with our Chef. We are focused on continuous improvement and comments such as yours are invaluable.

I am terribly sorry that the water pressure was not functioning as expected.
Such incidents are certainly not the norm and I have reviewed your comments with our Chief Engineer to ensure this is not repeated.

Finally, I appreciate your comments regarding our parking fees.
Given our proximity to John Wayne Airport, we are very competitively priced.
We do offer both a self parking and valet parking option.

Thank you for the invaluable feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for a week for our daughter's national softball tournament. The location is very convenient to the 405 (not close enough to hear traffic), but it's not difficult to get to the Pacific Coast Hwy/Newport Beach, even during rush hour. Irvine itself (or the part we saw, at least) is a clean, safe area, with a number of newer apartment and office buildings and convenient shopping. While not a vacation hotspot, it's a decent base location for exploring.

General
The hotel itself is nice--in fact, it's a step above what we require for these trips. For example, there are no refrigerators in the rooms and no laundry on premises--important features for families with teenagers participating in sporting events. It really caters to business travelers with expense accounts and those attending various conferences/events on premises.

The Good
That being said, the experience was fairly pleasant overall. The recently remodeled lobby is in a clean, modern style, with seating areas for small and medium-sized groups. Every staff member we encountered was exceptionally personable and helpful. The restaurant food and service were quite good and not as overpriced as expected--probably on a par with a decent restaurant in the area. While I had concerns about staying across from the airport, it was surprisingly quiet--we even remarked upon the relative absence of planes during our stay (I assume John Wayne just doesn't have the traffic of a larger airport). We enjoyed the comfortable outdoor seating areas shaded by palm trees on the large patio that serves as the walkway to the pool and parking. Our balcony door that was only supposed to open 4 inches opened all the way, which was nice.

The Not-So-Good
However, as others have mentioned, the beds are double size, so not always easy to share, and the parking situation can be annoying (particularly needing the keycard to enter/exit, and unpredictability of the gate's ability to read the card). We did see one or two dogs during our stay, but they were friendly, quiet, and well behaved, so we actually thought of it as a nice "plus," though those with allergies or discomfort around dogs may feel differently. Finally, the wifi was spotty, requiring repeated logins (going through a couple of screens to enter the password, etc.), which was really annoying (at least it was free!).

Overall, I'd probably stay here again, but not for a sports tournament.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HiltonIrvineGM, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.
Our staff appreciates your kind comments. They really enjoy having all the teams on property.

Thank you for the for the details on how we could better meet the needs of the teams.
It is a big help to us as we prepare for next season.

We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Agoura, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I feel that charging $18.00 per day for parking in the hotel parking lot is exorbitant and unwarranted. The rest of the hotel and amenities were very good to excellent. The room we had was very quiet even though the hotel is next to the John Wayne Airport.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

While I understand your frustration with the parking fees, given our location and proximity to John Wayne Airport, we are priced very competitively within the market.
From time to time, we do offer packages that include parking and many of our guests find this to be the best option.

We do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel has recent refurbished and the staff very friendly. My first impression was with Dora at the front desk, who was very welcoming and accommodating. The bed was comfortable and the room restful. In spite of being directly, and conveniently, across the street form the airport, the rooms and property in general were surprisingly quiet.

Room Tip: upper floor to the south
Green Features: Water conservation efforts were good. encouraged towel reuse.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great review!

Thank you for your kind comments about the service you received from Dora.
She has been with us for a number of years and is a delight.

We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Seattle
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Modern, clean and comfortable with good service. Great atmosphere in the lobby/bar area, and my room was very nice and quiet. Right next to the airport, the shuttle was on-time and the ride was very short. It's a great SNA airport option.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I'm glad you found our Hotel to be a terrific option when traveling in and out of John Wayne Airport.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just stayed here for 3 nights on business. Every single employee I came in contact with was wonderful, from the front desk to the shuttle drivers, to room service to housekeeping. Wonderful, wonderful service! Their free shuttle will bring you to and from the airport, but also anywhere else you need to go within 3 miles (if they are not busy with airport travelers). As usual, the bed was super comfortable - that's the best part about staying at the Hilton. I am a Gold Hhonors member. The room and bathroom were clean, as was the pool. The check in desk and elevators are off to the side of the entrance, but restaurant and pool straight ahead. Pool entrance and exit to and from hotel is awkward, as you have to walk right thru the restaurant and bar where everyone is eating. Only downside was lobby coffee situation. I had to check out at 5am on my last day. I never would have seen the coffee unless the front desk pointed it out. It was over at the bar (which was dark), and there was no cream/milk. Otherwise I had a very pleasant stay. If you're really only there to sleep, you can't beat it. If you're there on vacation, stay at the Hilton Costa Mesa only a couple miles away. Much, much nicer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

Thank you for recognizing our staff. We are so lucky to have such a dedicated team.
They will appreciate your comments.

In July of this year, we installed new Hilton beds in all our guest rooms.
I am happy that you found them to be so comfortable.

Whether traveling for business or pleasure - we hope to be of service to you again soon.

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#11 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!