“Not what you would expect for a Hilton”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Irvine because we found a great deal on Hotwire. Unfortunately it is difficult to say if it was worth the $69 we paid. Upon check in the staff was rude and incompetent-literally asked me if we had a car four times. Each time I said yes and still had to remind the staff member to give me a parking permit when I was leaving the desk. The beds are doubles so not the most comfortable of sleeping situations. I found hairs that did not belong to me all over the bathroom. The furniture in the room was worn and needed to be replaced. The pictures of the lobby make the hotel seem upscale but as you are walking to your room and can reach up and touch the popcorn ceiling and then walk in to a run down room your expectations are completely smashed. The morning of check out we were unable to check out on the TV so I went to the front desk and the same man who checked me in checked me out. He told me I did not have any charges and then as I was walking away asked me if I had a car!!! So after telling him for the fifth time that I did have a car he then charged me the $16 parking charge. The last thing that really left me with a bad impression was the pair of dirty thong underwear lying by some of the furniture in the lobby area...we could only assume it ended up there as a result of the wedding or class reunion that had taken place the night before. Unfortunately I honestly do not have one good thing to say about this property except that it would be very convenient for someone flying out of John Wayne Airport, but we were not!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2010

If you are flying out of SNA the Hilton is a decent choice for an overnight. it's a decent business hotel. If you are staying a week in the area, go somewhere else.

The lobby and restaurant area is spacious, clean, modern. Good stuff. Nothing special on a Wednesday night, but did'nt expect a lot.

A spacious workout area! Three functioning treadmills and a couple of elliptical trainers, lots of free space for dumbbells.

Rooms are average but clean. TV's are nothing special (tube, not flat) bed is comfortable, and shuttle is quick and efficient every half hour.

I don't stay by SNA much, so not sure what the competitive set is, but the Hilton seems a good (not great) option.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Really nice Hotel. But the charge for everything. So if you get a good rate on a room, say only $180 for the night simply add $21 for parking $13 for Internet $12 per movie etc etc

Danno4847, Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

We pride ourselves in providing a great value to our guests in a clean, safe, and friendly environment. Unfortunately, due to our close proximity to the John Wayne Airport, it has become necessary to charge for parking services as there is very high demand for parking in the area and we only have limited spaces available for our guests. As well, as an added benefit to our most frequent guests, the Hilton Irvine offers Complimentary Internet as an option for our prestigious Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members.

The Hilton Irvine is continually working on ways to improve the value options we provide for our guests which includes mitigating the costs of parking and internet.

Thank you for your patronage and for being our guest.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

The valet and front desk staff were very attentive and quick to help with requests. The hotel was extremely crowded and sold out due to many events being held there and in the area, but I was pleasantly surprised at the ease and pace of check-in as well as the fact that there was little to no noise in our room due to the swarm of people hanging out in the lobby/bar area. We were even able to get an elevator within second of pushing the button, which cannot be said for most sold-out hotels.

I am giving this hotel a 3 mostly because the room we had was not very clean and a bit run-down. We happened to get a handicapped accessible room on the third floor and even the carpeting in the hallways looked as though they could use a good cleaning. However, the major issue was the tile bathroom floor/shower. It was dreadfully dirty and looked as though it had not been mopped in a very long time. I wiped a wet wipe on the floor and sure enough, filth. It was really disgusting and I ended up taking a shower with my flip-flops on! Definitely not a shower worthy of the $167 we spent on this stay ($20 for valet parking per night included - a complete scam because this lot is so small it truly isn't necessary. In fact, we walked to our valet parked car to get items out of it a few times because it was literally only 20 yards away). In addition, we tried calling the front desk all morning and got nothing but a busy signal. When we went down, they told us that they had not been busy at all and that our phone must be out of order. Glad we did not have an emergency or need help!

In addition to the dirty floors, our room's walls were scuffed, scratched, stained and marked up so badly, it looked like in many places someone had drawn all over the wallpaper with a crayon. Granted, a handicap accessible room may have some more wear and tear around the baseboards, but this was all the way up the walls and in multiple locations. Even the hallways showed this same wear and tear. I just did not get a good "clean" feeling about this room. The bed was just OK.

The pool was nice and the courtyard has some good seating and gathering places. The restaurant is very small, but had good offerings for a quick breakfast.

Overall, it is not a bad hotel, especially for a night, but if you are looking for super clean and updated, this may not be the place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The main quality of this Hilton is that it doesn't feel like an airport hotel. Rooms, bedding, crabtree toiletries, common areas, gym, decor are fresh, modern, clean. Helpful service, good food, stiff drinks, clean pool and ample indoor/outdoor lounging areas. Wifi is availble throughout but not included in room rates. Parking should be free for guests but is not. Very good shopping a 10 min drive away.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank LA310
Danno4847, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Thank you for recognizing the uniqueness of the Hilton Irvine. The hotel is definitely not a typical nor ordinary airport property. More imporantaly, our staff takes great pride in providing a quality service experience in a clean, safe, and friendly environment.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Irvine and thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Stayed overnight to get to airport quickly. Good hotel stay, good front desk service. Although close to airport, almost across the street, didn't hear any planes. Comfortable bed and room.

Shuttle to airport available.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Danno4847, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

Thank for being our guest at the Hilton Irvine. Our location and our staff make the Hilton Irvine a great hotel for business or pleasure. The hotel offers a unique modern feel which we hope you enjoyed during your stay and is definitely not the typical airport hotel. We look forward to once again having the opportunity to welcome you to the Hilton Irvine.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

The Hilton Irvine pleasantly surprised me! Hiltons are always usually pretty nice, but the Hilton Irvine has an awesome lobby, great rooms, and a fantastic restaurant & bar. It's modern, trendy, & sexy!
My room was comfortable, clean, & quiet. Since the hotel is located near the airport, you'd think you'd hear airplanes & airport noise - but that was not the case. I didn't hear a thing & had a quiet nights rest.
The breakfast buffet was excellent and the service was very good. This is a great location, excellent hotel, and the staff know how to provide good service.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for recognizing the Hilton Irvine as the preferred hotel in Irvine known for our modern elegance and personalized service. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our staff was able to provide a memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Irvine in the future.