“Rooms lack maintenance”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
San Jose, CA
“Rooms lack maintenance”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here twice in April 2011 on business. The first time, I was in a first floor room, and got very little sleep due to the noise from the room above. The resident above was pacing on the heels of his feet back and forth all night long. Miserable.

The second time, I requested a top floor room. The first room had a climate control system on the wall which would not turn on. It was completely dead. The room was hot. Opening the window is not an option, due to the noise of people talking in the parking lot, and the traffic noise.
They gave me a second room on the top floor, and lo and behold, the climate control did not work in that room either!!!!! The display worked, but the AC unit would never come on. Amazing.

This hotel has some serious maintenance issues. I will probably not be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rwmiller56
LAXSDGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Hello Mr. Miller. I am truly sorry we had to move your room assignment spoiling your visit to Irvine. You are correct, we recently had A/C units and thermostats affected by a lightning strike. Both of the rooms you were given had been worked on by a professional technician and we believed the problems had been resolved prior to your arrival. Since your visit we purchased new units to install in those rooms.

Your visit is still fresh on my mind and I know that your charges were waived due to the inconvenience. If there were any way we could convince you to give us one more try I would be willing to make some special arrangements for your next visit. The whole hotel staff is eager to have you back with us and demonstrate how we create a great hotel guests love.

Charles Julien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 27 October 2010

The hotel needs renovation. Inteior is showing its age. But price is right. The suite is worth the upgrade as there is a door for the bedroom, which cuts down the noise from the fridge

• Stayed October 2010
Fontana, California
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Our group, about 15 families, stayed here for a tournament back in early July. Everyone had a great time; most mentioned returning for a more relaxing stay when a tournament wasn't involved. Having a fully equipped kitchen was a great benefit for our families while traveling on a budget. The GM Charles, DOS Erin and Brenda at the front desk were great to work with and made sure our stay went well. One note: this hotel is located off of Sand Canyon Ave and hidden behind some other buildings. You'll need to turn on Hoag-Irvine and keep to your left to get to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank takticaltraveler
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I chose this hotel due to reviews I read on TripAdvisor. I found some reviews accurate to our experience, and some reviews the exact opposite.

Location: First, the hotel is *not* well marked. As another reviewer stated, it is located behind a medical office building on Sand Canyon. They need to mark the entrance better. The location, though, is good. It's close to Newport and Balboa, South Coast, Laguna, etc. The mall (Specturm) is close and has a number of restaurants and fun activities.

Room: It is okay. Yes, the rooms have a refrigerator, microwave, 2-burner stove, etc., but the room itself is pretty depressingly plain. The bed is small (queen), and one side is close to the wall. . .so close the the person sleeping next to the wall has to crawl either over the other person or down to the foot of the bed to get out.

The fan in the bathroom is annoyingly loud. I also found the towels to be stained. They were clean, but there were permanent stains on them. AUGH.

The worst thing, though, is the smell. I know that they probably spray some stupid air freshener in the room, but it stinks. We were there three nights, and the smell never got better. I dreaded returning to the room each afternoon and evening.

We were supposed to stay 4 nights, but we ended up leaving after 3 because the room and the smell were just too depressing.

STAFF: I know others have said how wonderful the staff was. We wonder about whom they were talking. The woman who checked us in was nice enough, but the other people rarely even said, "Hello" when we walked by.

I'm a Priority Club Gold Member and am usually upgraded. They didn't even acknowledge my PC membership.

I have stayed in other Candlewood Suites in other cities and didn't find them quite as depressing as this one.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moonette
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 21 January 2010

My wife and I arrived Sunday evening and I would suggest that Candlewood put a sign indicating that they are located in the back of the hospital that you see on Sand Canyon Ave, because you can't see the hotel from Sand Canyon Ave. That was the only thing that we found to be a problem during our stay.

The standard room is what we had booked and it was a large room & bathroom. The room includes a full size refrigerator w/ icemaker, two burner electric cooktop, large microwave oven, dishwasher, set of cookware, microwavable glassware, set of dishes, glasses, can opener, potato peeler, cutting knife, steak knives, spatula, cooking spoon and fork, strainer, toaster, measuring cup, dish towels, paper towels, dishwasher soap & regular dish soap and there is even a garbage disposal! My wife had come with me so she just brought some food from home and made breakfast and a couple of dinners while we were there. She had brought a lot of the things like dish soap, paper towels, dish towels as well as a can opener. We were both surprised that they provided so much in the room. All you need to bring is food. They provide free hardline internet connection, the tv is pretty much like most hotels with cable and a dvd/vhs player so bring your own movies or check out the free ones at the front desk, a desk with 2 chairs for use as a desk/dining table and they even have a little convience store that is attached to the gym on the first floor. If you do use the store they have a complimentary coffee station for you to use. I forgot to mention there is a coffee pot in the room also. The queen size bed was comfortable but the I guess the bed is situated for 1 traveler, the bed was not centered on the wall so there would be equal room on each side of the bed so she could get into it from her own side, but there is a recliner on the side with more room and a bedside table. I think next time I'll just get the Deluxe room for about $20.00 more, which is still a bargan!

The staff is helpful and very nice. When I had to stay at Quality Suites in Santa Ana because the company paid for it I figured it was okay and they provided a free breakfast, tiny refrigerator, microwave. But after finding and staying at Candlewood Suites, there will never be a question of where I will be staying for business or pleasure when we want a place to stay if we want to have the option of cooking our own food while out of town.

I've probably forgotten something but they probably have it, if not in the room at the front desk. We were in Irvine for 4 days and we enjoyed our stay at Candlewood Suites. It is close to the freeway, shopping centers, movie theaters and basically everything. Do yourself a favor if you need a place to stay in Irvine, don't pass up the Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank whidcrad
Tennessee
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Immaculate room! Bed was not as soft as I hoped it would be, sheets and pillows incredible! Large tv w/dvd & vhs player in room, 52 cable channels including multiple HBO. Radio/alarm clock/CD player. Kitchen comes stocked with not just a silverware and a pot but multiple and very nice cookware pots w/lids, glass bowls w/lids, measuring cup, potato peeler-you name it. Full sized fridge has an icemaker. Full size microwave. Dishwasher, stove top (no oven), garbage disposal, plenty of hanger and a separate closet, laundry basket in room, dishwasher soap, paper towels, soaps and shampoo, hair dryer. Decorated to feel like home, large recliner, work space with two chairs, 2 phones w/multiple features, free internet in the room, full length mirror, hair dryer, pleasant location and close to gas station, grocery and places to dine. , Free washers and dryers, free lending dvd/vhs library, free locked mail box if you desire during your stay. Gym, business center, 24 hr store. Called the front desk and asked if the store had tylenol, that I wasn't feeling well. She hand delivered tylenol to my room for me with a smile. Hotel itself is very clean and friendly and feels safe. I am very impressive, I travel to this area often for a month at a time and I will be a repeat traveler!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank HollyRNTennessee
LAXSDGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 8 October 2009
Hi Holly! Lani was so happy to help and very humble about the compliment. We are all pleased to have you stay with us and eager to make sure your stay here is memorable every time. Thanks see you soon.

Charles E. Julien

Irvine, CA 92618

Consider Us Home.
Easton PA
Reviewed 9 August 2009

What a pleasant surprise! The staff at Candlewood was terrific, making us feel like royalty when we arrived and all throughout our stay. The room was clean and comfortable, giving us a great place for a low fee. The kitchenette was well supplied with everything we needed for our visit.

We have stayed in less comfortable hotel rooms for a lot more money. Anytime we come back to Orange County, you can bet we'll be staying at the Candlewood Suites in the Irvine Spectrum!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Daddyof6Girls
LAXSDGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
Hello Daddyof6girls,

We are all very pleased you found us to be such a strong value here in the OC. The whole team is involved in making sure each of our guests enjoys their stay. I will be sharing this with the hotel staff and I know they will be pleased to read such wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. We can’t wait to have you visit us again soon.

Charles E. Julien