“Bait & Switch at Candlewood - Beware!”

Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Temecula, California
“Bait & Switch at Candlewood - Beware!”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

After enjoying a wonder Rascal Flatts concert at the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine my wife and I didn't want to drive all the back to Temecula so we decided to stay at Candlewood Suites on Sand Canyon Ave. I had stayed there before a couple of years ago and things were fine. It's a completely different story now. I travel a lot and have seen it all so I normally have a Q&A protocol when I call to reserve a hotel room. Problem was I didn't follow my protocol this time and got burned. Don't let this happen to you. Red Flag #1. I called directly to the front desk to book the room and was immediately transferred to a 1-800 number. Next, I forgot to ask whether the hotel was undergoing any renovations.

By request, I was reserved a room with a king-sized bed for $84. Red flag #2: We arrived, checked in and immediately upon walking down the hallway to our room we could see that their were hundreds of one inch holes drilled at the bottom of the walls, carpet siding at the base of walls had been removed, large air dryers were on and there was "that smell" of water damage or who knows what. There was obviously some type of renovation going on. It was also clear from my last visit that things had changed at this hotel. It appeared a bit run-down.

Red flag #3: Upon entering our room we found a queen instead of the king bed we reserved. By then it was so late in the evening we just went to sleep without complaining. However, the "bait & switch" routine was clear. Further, an ethical front desk clerk should inform you that their hotel is undergoing renovations - or may have had water damage, mold issues or whatever.

Summary: I would avoid the Candlewood Suites Hotel if I could. There is a LaQuinta Hotel just up the road with a couple of restaurants next door right at the 405. Better choice.

Tip #1 - Always ask before you reserve a room in any hotel if they are doing any renovations.
If they are, you can easily negotiate a discount for your room; or decide not to stay there.

Tip #2 - Always confirm with the front desk your accomodations before you hand over your $$.
This is especially the case if you are sent to a 1-800 ph# to make your reservation.

Tip #3 - If you are not satisfied with the hotel or room, get your money back and leave; or
negotiate a discounted room rate the following day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DrRon1854
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear DrRon1854,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Irvine.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 July 2012

As I travel throughout California this week, I have decided to offer business and leisure travelers my thoughts. Tonight is my first stay at this hotel property, and right away, I am impressed! The layout of the rooms are spacious, clean, and modern. The staff greeted and smiled at me as if I were a Hollywood VIP! Located off the I-405 Freeway at Sand Canyon Avenue, the Candlewood Suites is a nice alternative to high-rise hotels in the area. This subtle spectacle near the iconic Spectrum at Irvine is a home away from home. On yeah, I won two cupboard dollars upon check in! Spin the wheel of fortune as a Priority Club Member! Good luck!

Room Tip: Location was a little tricky to find even with GPS since a medical hospital shares the corporate par...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here twice in the past year.

Location is by far the best thing about this hotel. It’s located right off the I-405 and just minutes away from the I-5. This makes getting anywhere inside Orange County a snap and a quick shot up to northern Los Angeles if needed. Your also minutes from a couple major shopping centers, which have Macy’s and Targets so getting supplies is very convenient.
Finding this hotel is not such a joy. It shares the entrance with a major hospital and you cannot actually see the property from the road. Navigation systems get confused as well and pretty much get you to the hospital entrance and then you’re on your own. The hotel is actually in the back. You take the hospital entrance and follow the winding road to almost the backside of the property. The hotel is on the left-hand side. For being by a major hospital, I never once heard a single ambulance, even far off.

I stayed in a one-bedroom unit, so I don’t know how much different the studio suites are, but I am told it’s basically the same, just a wall is added to separate the bedroom and living room. Overall the room was average, nothing to get overly excited. The brochure says the rooms include a kitchen. What you get is a two station electric hot-surface stove, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and toaster. They do include two placements of silverware for use and a dishwasher to easily clean. The appliances are what you would expect, usable, but some in need of replacement. The dishwasher loved to leak water and the ice machine inside the refrigerator did not work. The toaster worked fine, but the coffee maker was a nightmare, the light did work to say it was on and it did a great job of overflowing water and beans onto the counter. I was seriously tempted to buy a coffee maker for my limited stay.

The rest of the room was about average or standard. Sleeping will defiantly not be a problem as you’re surrounded by foliage and trees, which effectively block out noises from the street.
One appliance issue that actually plagued both rooms I have stayed in was the air conditioner. For whatever reason, both units leak water onto the floor under them. If you walk close to them after running for a couple hours, you get wet so be carefully putting anything around them. My biggest concern was any biological issues that could result from water under the rug from countless times running. Unfortunately, no one ever answered the maintenance line when I called.

One last note. Do not expect any maid service at this hotel, unless you’re staying over 7-days.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank St28
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel was in a perfect location! Everything we needed near by.

• Stayed May 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The rooms are set up for long term stay with a small but totally equipped (for 2) and adequate kitchenette (minus an oven). They are clean and very quiet.
We stoppped by the front desk on our way out for only a few hours. We made a couple of comments of items that possibly could use some attention in our room. Ice maker was not working and the air conditioner seemed a bit noisy. Upon our return we had a working ice maker and a working but silent air conditioner. The staff and maintenance crew was on top of it!
The Video Library had a nice selection and even had "Second Hand Lion"! We have a hard time getting that one from Block Buster!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I booked my reservation for a week long business trip and imagine my surprise when I arrived and discovered that they were in the middle of renovating the hotel while I was staying there.

Yup, they took my money (standard price) and didn't bother to tell me that:

1. I would need to stay in one room one night and another room the following nights, so I had to checkin and checkout twice.

2. The laundry mat and gym would be closed for two of the days.

3. The hotel would have no water after 10am on a couple of the days.

4. I would enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of construction from early morning to early evening.

I didn't receive any cut rate or advance warning or anything.

Now, if you're reading this, you may think, "What do I care? By the time I visit, they will be done." That's a fair point, but consider this: This hotel is so desperate for money and so devalues its relationship with its business customers that it will charge them full price with no warning to stay in a hotel that is undergoing construction in the exact same areas where you are staying. If you think the mindset that thought this was OK is going to lead to you having a good experience while staying at this hotel for an extended period, I wish you luck.

We have an internal travel site at our company, and you can be sure that my fellow employees will hear about this and think twice about staying here or any Candlewood Suites again.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is under construction.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Joe M
Oregon
Reviewed 16 December 2011

My room was upgaded to a suite on arrival. The suite was nicely appointed and clean, the only minus was the cabinetry showed a bit of wear. The staff was friendly and professional, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo