After enjoying a wonder Rascal Flatts concert at the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine my wife and I didn't want to drive all the back to Temecula so we decided to stay at Candlewood Suites on Sand Canyon Ave. I had stayed there before a couple of years ago and things were fine. It's a completely different story now. I travel a lot and have seen it all so I normally have a Q&A protocol when I call to reserve a hotel room. Problem was I didn't follow my protocol this time and got burned. Don't let this happen to you. Red Flag #1. I called directly to the front desk to book the room and was immediately transferred to a 1-800 number. Next, I forgot to ask whether the hotel was undergoing any renovations.
By request, I was reserved a room with a king-sized bed for $84. Red flag #2: We arrived, checked in and immediately upon walking down the hallway to our room we could see that their were hundreds of one inch holes drilled at the bottom of the walls, carpet siding at the base of walls had been removed, large air dryers were on and there was "that smell" of water damage or who knows what. There was obviously some type of renovation going on. It was also clear from my last visit that things had changed at this hotel. It appeared a bit run-down.
Red flag #3: Upon entering our room we found a queen instead of the king bed we reserved. By then it was so late in the evening we just went to sleep without complaining. However, the "bait & switch" routine was clear. Further, an ethical front desk clerk should inform you that their hotel is undergoing renovations - or may have had water damage, mold issues or whatever.
Summary: I would avoid the Candlewood Suites Hotel if I could. There is a LaQuinta Hotel just up the road with a couple of restaurants next door right at the 405. Better choice.
Tip #1 - Always ask before you reserve a room in any hotel if they are doing any renovations.
If they are, you can easily negotiate a discount for your room; or decide not to stay there.
Tip #2 - Always confirm with the front desk your accomodations before you hand over your $$.
This is especially the case if you are sent to a 1-800 ph# to make your reservation.
Tip #3 - If you are not satisfied with the hotel or room, get your money back and leave; or
negotiate a discounted room rate the following day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Candlewood Suites Orange County Irvine/Spectrum Hotel is an ideal choice for both business and leisure travelers. Each spacious suite has a fully equipped kitchen complete with a full-size refrigerator/ice maker, microwave, range, and dishwasher. Traveling on business? Bring your laptop and work efficiently at your executive desk. Communication is no problem with voicemail, free local calls, free high speed Internet access and two separate phone lines. Borrow your favorite movie or music from the hotel library and enjoy in your room from the comfort of your recliner. Hungry? Visit the Candlewood Cupboard, our on-site convenience store, and charge it to your room. Work off some stress in our 24-hour fitness center. Staying a long time? Take advantage of our on-site complimentary laundry facility. We re a pet friendly hotel too (fees apply). We are conveniently located off of the 405 or 5 Freeway in Orange County, and just minutes from the John Wayne Airport. The Spectrum Entertainment Center is minutes away where you will find fabulous bars and restaurants as well as a 21 Stadium Theater, a comedy club and a variety of stores for shopping. Orange County is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Southern California, including Huntington and Newport Beaches. We are also an easy day trip to the sites of Los Angeles and San Diego. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum Hotel Irvine
- Candlewood Suites Irvine
- Candlewood Irvine
- Irvine Candlewood Suites
- Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum CA