“Very comfortable for longer stays” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum

Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Irvine
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable for longer stays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Hotel that makes extended stays comfortable. I have been staying here for more than 2 weeks in a Queen bed studio

Pros:
1. Very close to the Irvine Spectrum Center and the offices around this area.
2. I have stayed in other Candlewood suites and the level of service from the staff here is better.
3. Cost effective pricing and they have good corporate rates for long stays
4. Complimentary washer and dryer use
5. Hotel seems to have been recently refurbished so it does not appear dated
6. Kitchen with stove, microwave, utensils - something that is very important to me on extended stays as I do not like to eat out every day
7. Irvine city Shuttle service (Route D) stop is just a couple of minutes away and has regular service during working hours
8. Average gym, but good enough when you are on the move

Cons
1. No restaurant, or breakfast but that is standard across all Candlewood suites
2. Finding the hotel the first time might be difficult, so remember to enter the campus of Hoag Irvine hospital and turn right. Even with a GPS you might be lost for a bit.

My colleagues who have stayed in other hotels like Extended Stay America and La Quinta in Irvine have recommended this place. I would definitely want to stay here again

Room Tip: Higher floors and on the other side of the entrance should offer more privacy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Brijesh S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Shared a suite with two others. The room was clean and neat and the staff friendly. The hotel is not near any restaurants or shopping however although there is an Albertson's supermarket a couple miles away. The hotel has an arrangement with LABites.com for food delivery from a variety of local restaurants. We tried Yard House and it was OK but as expected, the food was not really hot when it arrived. The pull out couch is not a bed you'd want to be in more than two or three nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chat89
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear chat89,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I had stayed in a Candlewood Suites in Chicago a few years back and was not impressed but this one rivals some of the best hotels I have stayed in. You have no need to look any further as this place is it. Superb staff and superb rooms. There's no gratis hot breakfast but they do have food available for purchase. WiFi worked great and room had a huge work area. This Hotel earned their excellent rating from me!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

This is my second time here and I love the new lobby/check in area! Updated and refreshing! The staff was great as they were last time. I will definitely stay again in the future when in the area for business.

• Stayed May 2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I have stayed in this hotel 2 times. I like their very quite and safe environment. Their staff are also very nice and warm heart. The room is clean and the equipment in kitchen is good enough. I also can borrow DVD for my night time. I for sure will live there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have stayed in this extended stay when I relocated to Irvine . value for money.clean rooms and good extended stay . dont expect great customer service ..its just average..safe area and value for the money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Temecula, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

After enjoying a wonder Rascal Flatts concert at the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine my wife and I didn't want to drive all the back to Temecula so we decided to stay at Candlewood Suites on Sand Canyon Ave. I had stayed there before a couple of years ago and things were fine. It's a completely different story now. I travel a lot and have seen it all so I normally have a Q&A protocol when I call to reserve a hotel room. Problem was I didn't follow my protocol this time and got burned. Don't let this happen to you. Red Flag #1. I called directly to the front desk to book the room and was immediately transferred to a 1-800 number. Next, I forgot to ask whether the hotel was undergoing any renovations.

By request, I was reserved a room with a king-sized bed for $84. Red flag #2: We arrived, checked in and immediately upon walking down the hallway to our room we could see that their were hundreds of one inch holes drilled at the bottom of the walls, carpet siding at the base of walls had been removed, large air dryers were on and there was "that smell" of water damage or who knows what. There was obviously some type of renovation going on. It was also clear from my last visit that things had changed at this hotel. It appeared a bit run-down.

Red flag #3: Upon entering our room we found a queen instead of the king bed we reserved. By then it was so late in the evening we just went to sleep without complaining. However, the "bait & switch" routine was clear. Further, an ethical front desk clerk should inform you that their hotel is undergoing renovations - or may have had water damage, mold issues or whatever.

Summary: I would avoid the Candlewood Suites Hotel if I could. There is a LaQuinta Hotel just up the road with a couple of restaurants next door right at the 405. Better choice.

Tip #1 - Always ask before you reserve a room in any hotel if they are doing any renovations.
If they are, you can easily negotiate a discount for your room; or decide not to stay there.

Tip #2 - Always confirm with the front desk your accomodations before you hand over your $$.
This is especially the case if you are sent to a 1-800 ph# to make your reservation.

Tip #3 - If you are not satisfied with the hotel or room, get your money back and leave; or
negotiate a discounted room rate the following day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank DrRon1854
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear DrRon1854,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Irvine.

Karen G.