“A Fabulous Stay at the Atrium!!”

Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 10 October 2012

What a wonderful hotel! Had an amazing stay while there. Our room overlooked the sparkling pool and cabanas. This hotel is courtyard style which really adds to the charm. The beautiful decor of our room was art deco, beds were comfy, comfy and we LOVED our big, flat screen TV (with HBO!). From beginning to end our stay was amazing! It's so refreshing to see such an upbeat, knowledgeable, professional staff. From the front desk to the bell service to the catering and restaurant, the service was stellar. The Hibiscus Suite, where we had our event, was beautiful! Perfect for weddings, anniversary parties, all special celebrations and the food was FANTASTIC. This is an OC GEM for sure. Thanks to Frederick Pina, Front Office Manager for making our stay and experience so FABULOUS!!

Room Tip: Room 380 has an incredible pool view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Reecie T

Reviewed 4 October 2012

The main reason to stay at the hotel is because it is a 5 min walk to John Wayne airport terminal. The room I stayed in had an excellent, comfortable bed, a comfortable chair, decent desk, flat screen TV. The staff was friendly and courteous. The bathroom was dated, and perhaps still needed to be renovated, but it worked fine. The biggest complaint I have is that the Wifi internet connection is dreadfully slow. Speedtest.net gave me 0.99 Mb/s download, 0.36 Mb/s upload. This is 3-10 times slower than my cell phone's internet, and 25 times slower than my home internet connection. The Wifi connection to my computer was strong. So, be advised, the hotel, staff, and room were good for me, the internet connection was terrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pdxalot
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This hotel was booked for me by my employer. I was warned that it could be a 'hit or miss' the renovated rooms are ok, but the un renovated ones are really awful (think any hotel room featured in a horror movie). By the rating, you can guess which one I got! Booking directly through the hotel wasn't an issue since not only did we book through the hotel, multiple rooms were booked.

The hotel was recommended by someone at the place where the conference was held, otherwise I would not have booked this hotel, despite all these negative reviews. The hotel seemed largely empty, so I have no idea why they chose to put me in an un renovated room in a very dingy corner of the hotel. I have to say the valet service to and from the hotel is nice and the staff is very friendly. The bar area with the cabanas has a creepy vibe, but the staff was so nice and respectful, they really made it comfortable for me to have a beverage before bed, even though I was feeling a bit uncomfortable, sitting there alone.

I also thought I might try their spa services, but the area looked really old and dingy and the staff was not particularly nice or welcoming. I tend to stay at mid range to nice hotels, I was NOT expecting it to be the Ritz, but I was expecting it to be clean and updated, along the lines of other airport hotels in a similar price range. The bed was fairly comfortable, but seeing how the bathroom looked I was worried about it's cleanliness. Everything looked and outdated.

In terms of advice, ask them to put you in a renovated room (I wish I had). If you can't be put in one or it's an extra charge and it's above what you want to pay, stay some place else. Although I haven't seen the renovated rooms, so I can't say what they actually look like.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, or lease look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2012

looking for a hotel close to oc airport, this was literally right across the street and looks nice from the outside. but reading soom bad reviews, we asked to see a room. they were very nice and showed us two remodeled rooms...pretty nice, not the ritz. he explained that they reserve the new rooms for guests who book directly through them. people who book through a cheaper service get the older rooms. pay the extra 20 bucks or so and get a nice room.
the pool is really cool. they have cabanas everywhere with sofas, the tables and trees light up at night, and there is an poolside small bar. you can lounge on a sofa with a drink and watch the palm trees change color! staff was very nice, we'll be back.

Room Tip: book through the atrium
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ringo74133
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We needed a one night stay hotel by the airport and checked the Atrium out. Great service right away with the bell hop to the front desk. Rates are fantastic! So we thought okay lets try it out. Went thru the pool area and WOW amazing!!! Felt like I was at an Oasis with a huge bar, beautiful cabanas surrounding the awesome pool. 4 star quality! The hotel is older but they did a great job on fixing up the rooms with some modern touches. The only suggestion for the hotel management is to invest in new mattresses! Ours was hard and springs kept springing and when my husband sat on the end of the bed the top of it started flipping upward...eeekss...otherwise service made up for it!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed here a few times on the way to San Diego. Great hotel for the price, full restaurant, pool bar. Our room was nice with a balcony, we did get put in one at first that smelled like it hadnt been occupied in years. We asked to get switched and it was done easily. Lighting at night is really cool. Could use a new smell in the hallways though, smells old and musty.

Room Tip: Ask to be put on a upper floor. The condition compared to the first and second floor is black and w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCStolz
Reviewed 15 September 2012

What an awful hotel. Nothing went right from the moment I arrive.

I'd just travelled for 25hrs and had arranged an early check-in. The room wasn't ready so I had to sit around and wait for over an hour. The last thing I needed after travelling for that long.
When the room was finally ready, I got my door keys and made my way over to the far end of the hotel with my luggage. Got there and the door keys didn't work. Had to go all the way back! Got inside and the room was old and decrepid. The carpet was threadbare, the furniture old and scratched etc etc.
I had URGENT business and needed internet and the phone, neither of which were working. I waited 2 hrs for them to fix the problem. They eventually got the internet on but didn't bother to let me know so I sat there waiting until I tried again myself and found it to be working. I was never able to make a call from the phone and when they eventually told me that their phones were not set up for international calls, I picked up my things and left.
To their credit they did make some calls at reception for me to find an alternative hotel and ring me a taxi.
Would NEVER return there again and would not recommend it to ANYONE!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business