“Pretty, but...”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Cupertino, CA
“Pretty, but...”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Atrium for the first time, last week. The hotel was chosen by locals for me, as I was completely unfamiliar with it.

The hotel grounds, and the lobby, are quite attractive. The lobby makes excellent use of mirrors and plants to appear larger and restful. In addition to the main lobby, a secondary lounge area is available (turn left after passing the front desk, then immediately on your right).
Cool water, with lemon, is available in the entryway.

Guests on wheeled devices should think twice. Many floor areas are flagstones that can be difficult to traverse. Many (most?) guest rooms are a difficult journey from the lobby for wheels.

The front desk was a mixture ... one clerk quickly helpful, one a bit interested in the ladies. Another time, it took forever for a single person to be checked in: the clerk had to have help on everything. However, everyone at the front desk was friendly.

The hotel is a set of about six 2 or 3 story buildings, arranged in a rectangle, with a pool and bar area in the middle. My room was in the far back ... necessitating walking through several buildings (and about 4 or 5 doors) or walking through the pool area (still 4 doors, plus smokers around the pool).

The room key is fairly modern, incorporating a "smart card" chip. It opened my door about 80% of the time I inserted it (about average for card-based hotel locks for me).
(Nicer than the very easily hackable door lock many other hotels use!)

My room was pleasant, and clean. The bed was firm. The A/C was a bit loud, and the thermostat was an old analog one. After some time, I got the room to a reasonably cool temperature. My room was on the ground floor, and the blackout curtains worked fine.
IIRC, the wide-screen TV was "dumb", with no access to hotel features (but I'm not completely sure.)

Room lighting was sub-par. There were four or five lights, all with puny compact fluorescent bulbs. I gave up trying to read a book, and read using a Kindle instead.

Like many hotels, the bedding was no longer a traditional sheet, blanket, and coverlet. Instead, the blanket/coverlet is combined, reducing your cooling/heating choices. No spare blanket was in the closet.

There was no refrigerator (or microwave), but there was (IIRC) a small coffee maker.
(Unlike most hotels I've stayed at, I didn't attempt to get a microwave ... I did use the ice machine, and it produced a good quantity of ice quickly.)

The shower had an adequate water flow (and good heat), but it was controlled with difficult to use handles that should be replaced. After the first shower, it took quite a strong grip to get the water turned off enough to stop the faucet from dripping.

The hotel's restaurant is at the front. The waiter I interacted with (who's name I've forgotten, sorry... M.....n?) was friendly and helpful. The food choice for the buffet ($19) was quite limited.

My cost (Tues and Wed nights) was $138 per night, taxes included.

I didn't check on site, but was told ahead of time that the following fees could apply:
Self parking fee: USD 12 per day (in/out privileges)
Valet parking fee: USD 14 per day (in/out privileges)
Refrigerator fee: USD 10 per night
In-room microwave fee: USD 10 per night

The housekeeping staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful.

The location is great ... across the street from John Wayne airport.
Noise? None!

The hotel lacks a gift / sundry shop, but the gas station next door has a good mini-mart (similar to a 7-11) in it, and is easy to access (and open 24 hours).

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The Atrium seems like a Ho Jos that got a nice facelift. Lobby, pool, bar are lovely. Rooms are decent. I stayed in one of the King suites. It was very spacious but there was no AC vent in the bedroom and only blackout curtains on the windows to balcony. The bedroom gets too hot when the blinds are open and you can't enjoy the Californian Sun without giving up all privacy. Lastly, the internet is SLOW! When it works. In my 2 week stay it didn't work for 7 days. It's wireless only and there is no wired backup. If you need a place to stay for a night or two, this place would be fine though.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Checked in on a Sunday night for a business conference through Wednesday. the front lobby was nicely updated and very welcoming. Hotel staff were courteous & friendly, but the whole check-in procedure was slow and tedious. After being told to drive to the rear of the property, had to walk through a security door entry to gain access to the property; it felt like walking into an apartment complex in a rough neighborhood. Took the elevator to the top floor (3rd) and entered my room. It was kind of a let down as I took my first few steps. First thing I notice were the popcorn ceilings. (Yikes!) I went to put something in the fridge so I could heat up my take-out dinner I picked up on the way and guess what; no mini fridge or microwave. (What year is this?) So what's next after driving for two hours? That's right, need to use the bathroom. Are you kidding me? I flushed the toilet & I thought I was camping. Peeked in on the tub/shower and noticed it is original from back in the day. I definitely wouldn't touch the in-room coffee maker. The A/C thermostat is original so give it your best turn of the knob to get it set to 74 degrees. Turned on the flat-screen tv & didn't even get HD channels. Seriously? Fortunately, after each day of the conference, their pool-side bar/lounge was a welcomed sight and a great way to relax at the day's end. If I'm in the area again, I'll probably stay somewhere else unless they do a complete upgrade on their rooms.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton next door.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been staying at the Atrium for about a year now for business. During my last visit the elevator was not working and MIGUEL worked very hard to find me a room on the ground floor and even upgraded my room. I have never met a more professional, caring individual. I highly recommend the Atrium. The rooms are excellent, room service is excellent and the staff, especially MIGUEL - he makes the Atrium.

Room Tip: Book your stay on line and save 10%
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Black people hoping to check in early are left waiting in the lobby, while they check in white people to supposedly unavailable rooms. Please do not patronize this hotel. This is not the first time this has happened, unfortunately my husband inadvertantly booked me here again at a discounted rate, but the racist attitudes are too much to compensate for the discounted rate.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank David H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is our second time at this hotel. In fact, my wife asked me to book this hotel again because she felt so comfortable here when we stayed 3 weeks ago. The rooms and the property are very clean, and the hotel staff is amazingly pleasant; they all love the property and many have worked here for several years. One of the waiters has been here since day one. The pool area is awesome, reminds me of properties you will find in Palm Springs. The hotel is older, but kept up. The bathrooms are small but clean and the tub/shower is the most unique we have ever experienced in the US. Come for a visit, you'll be back. Also, the hotel is convenient to the Orange County Airport and 2 very good restaurants, El Torito and Gulliver's Prime Rib House. T.Young

Room Tip: We have stayed in room 216 and 208. Love the Balcony. When we were here in April 2014, we left the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have to frequent down to Irvine on a regular basis and I make my stay at the Atrium Irvine right across from JWA. The staff are all very personable and professional. It's hard to single any one out but Janet, Jessica, Stephanie and Maola ( sorry if I butchered her name) lol are one of the main reasons I stay there. They provide excellent customer service which is my main reason when I go anywhere They get brownie points for welcoming me by my name when I come up to the front desk.They strive to be customer concentric. The rates are very reasonable for around that area. Nice rooms and they have a pool area with cabanas and bar. :) I will continue to frequent there for all of the above. Well done ladies, kudos for the awesome service.

Room Tip: I prefer the room towards the back of the hotel. Parking lot is in the back.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!