“Quite Nice, and yet...”

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
virginia
“Quite Nice, and yet...”
Reviewed 12 October 2009

If you're needing a place close to the airport, Atrium is VERY close -- easy walking distance. (one block over) Atrium provides free shuttle to take you anywhere within 3 miles -- courteous and quick, even on short notice. (Thank you gentlemen.) Fountain & inner pool area a bit disney-esque... yet for me, pleasant. Room very clean; bed comfortable (if firm), though the ratty chairs (esp at the desk) were worn and not comfortable. Color scheme ok for me. Ask for a room facing the pool; mine faced boring parking lot. Because it's so close to the airport, you won't be able to turn in early with window open -- at times intense flight noise. Encountered rather steady water running niose... and "sounds" from room above were... noticeable. Breakfast buffet is basic, if you like pork & eggs and melons -- no butter/spread. (2 days straight) Front desk friendly, but some weren't all that helpful. There's no local restaurant guides in the rooms. (I found no guides about anything in my room - not helpful!) Rooms do have (slow) wireless -- and an ethernet hook up option. Asked front desk to help me find a Persian restaurant, and got a quizzical look and no finds. Next day I learned via friends that there are a half dozen excellent ones nearby. Also, if you're a business traveler, everything seems to close at 9 or earlier at night -- even on a Saturday night. (Hilton is next door) Ah well, over all, a nice place. Did I mention it's close to the airport?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
maui, hawaii
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in transit for an early flight out of orange county in the morning. The room was nice and spacious, and the pool area was very nice. the decor was impressive. the hotel shuttle was very nice, and even took us to a restaurant in the area and brought us home after, for free. I absentmindedly left my laptop powercord in the room, and I was doubtful as to weather I would see it again, but sure enough it was mailed to me in hawaii. overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for people flying out of john wayne airport, or even just for a nice place to stay in the newport area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We stayed here on our way to Europe. The outside and foyer are deceiving....they look okay. The clerks are very unhelpful and don't know anything about directions to area restaurants.....hello!!!!!! The inside of the hotel and rooms stink of stale cigarettes....it is a non smoking hotel. The room was furnished in brown, orange and yellow furniture from the salvation army. The rocker was so dirty I wouldn't put my suitcase on it. The plugs in the wall didn't work (or came out) when you unplugged an appliance or computer. The people downstairs were having a disagreement....their friends came in to their room over the outside wall and the noise got worse. I called the desk 3 times....the clerks couldn't find the noise. I told them where it was, they did nothing. Finally at 1:30AM it got quiet...great we had a 4AM get up. The place is disgusting, a real dump.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Hotel lost reservation because I had made it online and the hotel computer is not connected to the internet. Took me 1/2 hour to finally check-in! Also, my credit card was incorrectly charged with expenses I never incurred. Very unprofessional and slow service!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My husband found this hotel last minute on Expedia, for a weekend trip to Newport Beach. Check in was slow due to a wedding and business event. When we got to the counter, they could not find our reservation, so they just put us in manually. The hotel was very nice on the outside. It looked remodeled, and the pool area with the cabanas looked good. Right when we got into our room, it smelled. It was like a damp, musty, old smell. I thought maybe they had just shampooed the carpets, they felt damp. I called the front desk to request a new room, and the receptionist told me she would call me back in 5-10 minutes. After 15, I called her, and she asked for more time. After another 15 minutes, I walked to the front desk. There was no one checking in, and the two ladies were smilng and talking. She asked for my keys, and I told her when we switched I would bring them to her. We took the elevator, which smelled, and as soon as we walked into the new room, it smelled worse than ours. We were tired and hungry, so we kept the first room. It was late, so we drove to the store to get Febreeze, ate, and then sprayed the heck out of the room. We turned on the air, and I noticed, wrapped in the air vent on the ceiling, were fabric softener sheets. I must assume someone else has complained about the smell. When we checked out the next morning, we told the mgr, and he said to take it up with Expedia, since we paid throught them. I noticed the hotel has a hold on my credit card, probably due to the fact they have not located our reservation through Expedia. Expedia did give us a credit. This hotel is pretty, but it stinks in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 8 July 2009

The room keys did not work four times and the front desk person called us "clowns". I recommend not staying on the propery.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SarahPhoenixAZ
newport beach
Reviewed 1 July 2009

They have made some changes since the last time I stayed there over 2 years ago. The pool area is amazing and the service was the best I have ever had at the hotel. My room was average, but one of the girls at the front desk showed me some of the new rooms they are doing and she promised to make sure I got one of the new rooms next time I'm at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,510 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport

Been to Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!