“DON”T STAY HERE SPEED A FEW MORE DOLLARS AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!”

Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 5 September 2010

The Best Part of the Atrium Hotel is Leaving It! this review is on the money.... We stayed for 5 days and forget about hospitality.... there is none. When we book the room we were not advised that the pool would be closed the everyday due to private parties ...never got near the pool always closed! The Front desk personnel (except Brittany) should find new jobs as they don’t understand the meaning of hospitality...The facility is old , worn out andthe lights were not working in our room. Two of the days the maid left the bedding undone (the bedding was behind a chair) When we asked for extra towels we were advise to call the front desk etc, etc, etc.
DON”T STAY HERE SPEED A FEW MORE DOLLARS AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
ronnugent, General Manager at Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2010

I would like to apologize to this guest, because he is right about us having two pool side events during his stay. On that Friday the pool closed down at 3pm until 11pm and on Saturday the pool was closed all day. We did make accomodations for our guest to use the pool next door at the Hilton; however, that does not justify you not being able to use our pool for your stay. Our lack of service is another issue that is unexceptable to us and I am sorry that you had to experience that during your stay. We are currently working on the condition of our hotel, but with the current economic conditions that we are in it has slowed down the process. One of the processes that we have initiated at the hotel in moving forward on going Green is to ask our guest if they are staying over three days if they need their room cleaned every day or could we do it every other day to help the environment. I am very sorry for your stay and the lack of communication on our part that could of made your stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

I attended a music event at this hotel recently and was appalled at its poor hospitality, prices charged customers and treating customers like criminals.

While trying to relax by the pool area, hotel employees were constantly inspecting guest’s drinks to make sure that no one brought their own beverage into the pool. They wanted to ensure that people could only purchase their beverages at $6.50 for domestic beer and $8.50 for a well drink. Due to their constant harassment, I gave up trying to enjoy the one amenity that the hotel does offer.

Several people who also attended the event were booked into substandard rooms (i.e. furniture missing, no countertops, etc.). Forget about having a mini refrigerator their 24 oz water was priced at $5.00. Talk about price gouging.

This hotel does not like guests to hold events in their room. I was at a small event in a guest’s room around 11:00PM. People weren’t getting crazy, no singing or carrying on, but since the walls are paper thin, I’m sure that the people on either side could hear some noise. A knock was heard at the door and when someone opened it, there was hotel security with a large black baton in his hand. He told us that “only 4 people were allowed in a room”. Talk about an unfriendly hotel!

Their food availability and selections were very limited and forget about eating anything after 9:00PM as their room service and café are closed. For $13, you can enjoy their eggs, bacon, toast (that you make yourself) breakfast.

Who offers an organization the ability to hold a music event and then has several hotel employees and security come and tell the musicians playing that they have to “quiet down”. Well, the Atrium does. My recommendation is DO NOT BOOK YOUR EVENT AT THE ATRIUM and if you need a place to stay, try the Hilton next door. Stay away from the Atrium.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
ronnugent, General Manager at Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

I appreciate you giving me your opinion of your event and I will make sure that I forward it to our Director of Catering and the person who was in charge of putting the event together, so we can find out what happened.

There are some points that I would like to clarify regarding the property and the event itself. The event organizer put out a email to all attendees on 8-25-10 that gave the details on the food and pricing that was picked by the organization and the special drink pricing. They also stated in the email that attendees were not allowed to bring their own beverages, bottles or pool chairs to the pool area. As a business we can not allow glass around our pool area for the safety of all our guest. We are not allowed to have guest bring their own liquor or alcoholic beverages into our public area's, because that is against California State Law. You are right about the pricing for a domestic beer, but our well drink pricing was $6.50 unless you ordered a call or premium brand for your drink.

As for the substandard rooms that you mentioned, there are no rooms in our hotel that do not have all the furniture or countertops. The $5.00 water in the room is not 24oz, it is the FIJI 1 Liter for $5.00 in every room.

When other guest in the hotel start complaining about another room making a lot of noise at that time of the evening we do let them know that they need to quiet down, because of the complaints. If they do not comply then we ask everyone to leave who is not a registered guest of that room.

Our restaurant hours for this event was until 11pm each night except on Saturday night when we stayed open until 12am. The restaurant seats 75 people and we had over 500 guest in the hotel, so we made the decision to have a full breakfast buffet for everyone and not do a order off the menu that way everyone would be able to get in and eat in a reasonable time frame. We had eggs, sausage, bacon, assorted cut up fruit, assorted cereals, assorted danishes and bread for toast and orange juice.

Irvine Police Department showed up, because the Hilton Hotel next door complained about the noise of the bands. They wanted us to shut it down; however, we were able to convince them to continue if we would control the volume.

Reviewed 18 August 2010

Before traveling to California I spent time on trip advisor looking over the reviews. I was quite concerned about the hotel that was selected by the travel coordinator for a business week long conference. My wife who was joining me on the trip was prepared with a Marriott hotel backup just in case The Atrium turned out to be dirtly, awful and just plain lousy. To our pleasant surprise, The Atrium was just fine. The rooms were clean, newly remodeled/updated and the pool/bar in the courtyard was simply splendid. The cabanas are better then their pictures and the pool was very clean and well maintained. The lobby and restaurants were spacious and clean. The front desk staff and ground maintenance were friendly, attentive and willing to accommodate our every need. The food in the restaurant was good and the breakfast buffet was perfect. I would actually recommend this hotel since the updating and attention to improving the service overall was noticeable. The location to the John Wayne Airport couldn't be better. Newport Beach is right down the road and the area overall was great! The Best part is the hotel was EXTREMELY quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I travel a lot on business to SoCal and needed a place near Newport Beach and within the client's budget (under $100/night). At this time of year, all the crumb crunchers going to Disneyland drive up the O.C. fares and hotel prices big time. But here was this seemingly great hotel, The Atrium, a block from my meeting and so cheap. So I did some research on this site to see what others had to say.

The reviews were very negative. Few had good things to say. But did I listen and heed my fellow traveler's advice? No. So I booked it and figured "How bad could it be?".

Well, it's pretty awful. The lobby and restaurant are OK. The parking worked out fine. But the rooms and other areas of the hotel are disgusting. Old, worn, dirty and broken pretty much describes this hotel. The rooms are 1980's peach and pastel gross. Green velour curtains, peach walls, etc.

The TV was a 17" little Phillips unit - not even a flat screen. About 10 stations available. The remote was so old and crappy that I couldn't even make out the print on the buttons.

The A/C buzzed all night. I couldn't get comfortable but couldn't open the patio door because I was on the ground floor and virtually in the parking lot.

The plumbing fixtures were old and hardly worked. Faucets leaked, etc. The shower stall was a shower over tub and a wierd design that had me craning around in the shower to get the spray.

The whole hotel is dirty. The room carpeting was so gross and sticky that I had to wear shoes all the time in the room. The sheets were thin and "holely". The bead spread and pillows (whole room) smelled from OLD cigarettes and dust.

So just pass on this one folks. Maybe you'll be smart enough to heed my warning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ShingleSpringsGuy
ronnugent, General Manager at Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to do this review. I apologize that we did not meet your standards, but I thought you might like to know what we are doing to address your comments. Currently we are in the process of re-doing our hallways throughout the hotel. We are also working internally on painting the guest rooms and getting rid of that 80's peach and pastel colors. Our engineering team is continuously replacing plumbing fixtures and will continue to do so until we have replaced all the fixtures. Our A/C units are brand new in all the rooms and we are trying to work out all the kinks. We are also in the process of replacing all of our tv's. Currently we have been able to replace 1/3 of the tv's in our rooms. As for the carpet, this is the first time I have heard something like that, so I talked to the housekeeping staff to make sure that we are not cutting any corner's when it comes to the cleanliness of our rooms. The rooms might not be as updated as you would like, but we do expect for the room to be clean. Our hotel is a non-smoking hotel, so if your room smelled like old cigarettes then we should have done a better job of making sure it was ready to be occupied without the smell.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel while in the area for a softball tournament. we had reserved a room for 3 people ( King bed with a roll away). Upon arriving at the hotel, we were advised by the night manager that she only had a room available for us with a double bed and there were no roll away's available. When we told her that we had reserved something different she informed us that we had a reservation but that is was onlya request for a king bed and a roll away. We asked her where we were going sleep and she informed us that it was our problem and needed to figure it out ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
ronnugent, General Manager at Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

I apologize that you did not receive your king bed with a roll away. Our focus is to be more proactive, so I believe the front office agent seen you were in a king with 3 people and wanted to make your stay more comfortable. She made a decision to put you into a room that had two beds instead of one king and a roll away "which are smaller than a bed".

We don't have a night manager that is female, so if you have a name or more information to provide to us that would be greatly appreciated. This is very important to me, so I can have a conversation with this individual on the importance of how we communicate to our guest.

Reviewed 21 June 2010

The hotel rooms don't look like their pictures. Rooms were poor. When we checked in, someone had already used the toilet. The screen door to the "patio" was broken.

We were also charged $50 for the "reservation hold" when we checked OUT! We were also charged TWICE for breakfast. They said (on the phone) that that was normal for them to put the reservation hold on the credit card. I don't understand why they would do that on check-out. Reservation holds are for when someone doesn't show up! WTH???? After calling the hotel they said the charges would be taken off our credit card in 3-7 days. Either they are floating our money or something fishy is going on.

The only great thing about the hotel was the bell hops.

I wouldn't go back there even if someone else paid for it!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
ronnugent, General Manager at Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

I would like to apologize for your terrible stay with our hotel. There is no excuse to be checked into a dirty room. I went up and checked the screen door on the balcony to see if it was broken, but it was working very nicely. What might of happened is that it was locked and the guest did not know this and thought that it was broken.

The $50 dollar charge is for incidental charges, not a reservation hold. This fee is authorized at check-in and released as soon as the guest checks out. It"s the individual's bank who authorizes the release of the incidental charges, not the hotel.

As for being charged twice for breakfast, if it wasn't taken care of before you checked out, please give me a call and I will look into it and make any necessary adjustments.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed a weekend at the Atrium. My wife and I had spent nights here over 10 years ago. This hotel is good only if you can get a room for under $80 like I did. I know some people who have spent over $120 per night and I feel sorry for them. The hotel's service is bad especially the front desk. Only one person is usually there checking guests in, answering phones, addressing complaints, etc. The rooms are OK but check to make sure that they are not holding a special event by the pool because it can get very loud, especially if they have parties with music.
Getting into the hotel from the parking lot was also a hassle. We couldn't get in using our hotel key card. We later found out that all the doors are locked from one side of the building. A sign saying you can't enter would have been helpful but that's how this hotel is from a customer service point of view.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple