“Some of the best ribs I've ever had” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Torito Grill

El Torito Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
El Torito Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 643 Restaurants in Irvine
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: El Torito Grill features specialty menu items created by the Company's executive chef, Pepe Lopez, including mesquite broiled fish and steaks, as well as Mexican combination platters. Salads and soups are also available for both lunch and dinner. To compliment the range of specialty items, El Torito Grill offers a wide selection of upscale margaritas, in addition to a complete list of Mexican beers and cocktails.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Some of the best ribs I've ever had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Walked from our hotel at the recommendation of our local sales rep. Bustling place with friendly staff. Bar area had a taco bar setup (Taco Tuesdays) but we opted for an old-school circular booth. Wide variety of choices, but I went with the Chipotle smoked ribs. Not sure of their exact cooking style, but probably more oven roasted than slow smoked. That is not an indictment, just a note. If you like your ribs to be so smoky you can tell the different woods used, these aren't for you. That being said, they were fall off the bone tender with nothing left when I was done except a pile of clean rib bones. Sauce looked like it was added after a quick flip on the char-broiler. Nice sauce, but I would have preferred a lighter basting and some on the side rather than all on the ribs. Roasted corn was good and the table-side fresh guac was very good (I'm not usually a guacamole person at all). Cadillac margaritas were good, but I expect two premium margaritas to have more "effect" on me after a 17 hour day of travelling and meetings. If my travels take me back, I'll be exploring the menu more.

• Visited October 2013

San Francisco
“Fun evening with vibrant food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Diverse selection of traditional and modern twists - attentive service for our very large group. Food was uniformly well prepared and nicely presented. Only complaint was some mixed drinks were weak or too sweet, beer however was generous, cold and tasty

Visited October 2013
1 Thank tripar0undthew0rld
Chicago, Illinois USA
“Tasty Mexican dinner and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The steak burrito was very tasty and a large portion. The server was very friendly and made a nice guac tableside. I was just there for dinner, but it seemed like it also had a lively bar scene, which added to the atmosphere without being rowdy at all. This was my first time ever eating at one of these places.

Visited October 2013
Orange, California
“Decent Food. Decent Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Discovered this place when I moved to Southern California and I think it's pretty good. It's your average Mexican restaurant, large portions, huge menu and massive margaritas. The service here is hit or miss, sometimes it can be really good, other times it suffers. They have really good guacamole and the plates they serve are often enough for two sittings. It's a good place for large groups but if your looking for really tasty mexican food, there are a couple better options in the area.

• Visited July 2013
Irvine, California
“Great food. Great place. Ok service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Went here with my wife and some friends.

The food was great atmosphere cool. This is the nicest El Torito we have seen. The hostess was really nice.

Here is the issue. The waitor was not unfriendly but very matter of fact. My wife ordered fajitas and he forgot the tortillas. It then took 5 more minutes to bring the tortillas and by that time her food was cold. Then we order a round of margaritas. He brings my wife a small puny pathetic margarita and everyone else at the table got a big one. I just didn't understand it. They have a very nice place, the food quality is excellent. I think some organization training would be a good idea with the wait staff.

• Visited July 2013