“Why put a hotel right by the train tracks!!??”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
“Why put a hotel right by the train tracks!!??”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel, and I would not stay here again. The biggest problem is the location - my room was very close (less than 50 feet) to the train tracks, and I was disturbed repeatedly during the night by the loud rumble and whistle of passing trains. Whoever decided this was a good place for a hotel should have their head examined. In addition, the breakfast was very basic, and the coffee was weak and tasteless. Finally, the shower had one of those trendy but impractical bowed curtain rods that made it impossible to keep the water from spraying out onto the bathroom floor, so there was a nice puddle when I stepped out of the shower. Not a place I will return to.

Room Tip: If you must stay here (and I would avoid it if you can), try to get a room on the side away from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Laguna Niguel CA
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a flood in our home and were looking for a place to stay that was convenient to our home and husband's work, and also were able to take our 65 lb. golden retriever. We booked the place sight unseen because we had to make a quick decision. We managed to stay here for 5 days before we had to find something else. We gave it two stars because the people at the front desk were nice and there was no extra charge for the dog. Everything else left a lot to be desired. Location was poor because it's right next to metrolink tracks, which would have been fine during the day, but we had no idea so many freight trains sped by during the night with horns blaring. Housecleaning was spotty...had to leave wastebaskets and dirty towels outside on mat in order to get staff's attention once, and 2 other days we were gone over 5 hours in the middle of the day only to come back after 5 PM to unmade bed and nothing else done. There is a Denny's, Knowlwood, and Jack in the Box within a short walking distance, and the hotel is right off the I-5 freeway. Lots of road construction going on, so be prepared. As stated, if you have no other choice...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lagunamama
Benicia, California
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Will never stay here again. Have been to this location in the past on several occasions. A/C is hit or miss. It stays on for only a few minutes, then stops and blows the air around the room. This trip, it was 92 degrees outside and we were on the 3rd floor. Difficult to sleep when the room remains at a pretty stead 87 degrees all night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

San Leandro, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Even with lowered expectations, this was a bad experience. I checked in on a Wed night, and found a black T-shirt on the floor in the corner of the closet. Rosa's name was on the card saying who cleaned my room. I called the front desk to let them know. I was offered a change of room, but declined, as long as the t-shirt would be removed the following day. Disappointed, I decided to draw a bath....but found soap residue and hairs in the bathtub! This time, I did accept a different room....also cleaned by Rosa (I checked the card). This room looked clean, except for the gum wrapper on the carpet near the entrance to the bathroom....in plain sight.....you can see it from the doorway, for Pete's sake. I didn't say anything and lo and behold, it was there the next evening as well.

I hate writing negative reviews, so here are the good things about the hotel....the bed was comfortable, the towels were nice, the coffee at the breakfast buffet was nice and strong.

I didn't care for the older appliances, the location (next to a railroad track) and the strange elevator setup at the back of the hotel...but in this respect, maybe I am a little spoiled.

I would have given this an Average or maybe even a Very Good score if it weren't for Rosa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lincoln City, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Room on top floor was large, comfortable and quiet. I stayed in the silo and had no problems with the train - could hear it in the distance but it didn't interfere with hearing the TV, conversation on the phone or with visitors. Air conditioner was quiet and kept room comfortable. Everything in working order. When I left in AM for short time, came back to find room cleaned (good experience) Wifi strong. Only complaints was had to call housekeeping over items left from previous guest and took a while for them to show up. Didn't use pool or breakfast - seemed popular, and a number of people hanging out at times in parking lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Laguna Niguel, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A very positive experience to stay in a hotel room with my large dog and cat. We stayed for 10 days and only have good things to say. They don't charge extra for pets either. My room was a lot larger than I ever expected. Terrific staff. They all love pets also. A bit noisy from the trains passing but the double glass windows help.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Atascadero, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This La Quinta is unique in that they refurbished an old Silo building that gives it a unique character. I stay in La Quintas because they are usually fairly priced, they accept dogs, and are family friendly. II prefer hotels with inside access because I usually travel with my family and this La Quinta has both rooms that access from the outside for quick stays and rooms that access from an inside hallway, if you prefer. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and it was a good value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family