“Is that Train going to come through my room?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum

La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Irvine
USA
“Is that Train going to come through my room?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Checked into this hotel late and when I got out of the car I was amazed how loud and noisy the restaraunt/night club was next door. Undeterred and tired, I went to my room which was funky and neat as the hotel is made out of an old lima bean railside depot. I got settled, put my head on the pillow and then suddenly began to think based on the noise I was hearing that the end of the world was upon us and the world was blowing up. A horn so loud blew that had to have woken every person in the hotel and then a whoosh so loud and frightening went by the outside of my room that the door in my room rattled back and forth. I ran to the window to see a freight train running by the outside of my room a mere 5 feet from the wondow. The train itself had to have been 3/4's of a mile long and loud. I called the front desk to inquire as to how frequent a happening this would be and they explained that the freight trains run about once an hour through the night and that the commuter trains in the morning (starting at 5AM) run about every 15 minutes. Needless to say one of the worst expereinces of my life. Never ever again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank travelinman3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

We go to this area a few times a year - usually we stay in an upscale hotel - thought we might try saving some money. This motel was a pleasant suprise for us. Front desk was great - happy to see us and had us on our way to the room in a minute. Our room was in the silo - Funky in a cool way. It was clean and comfortable. Everything worked. If there was a train, we didn't hear it. I was a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews. They were definitely not our experience. We plan on using this motel again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

Driving to this hotel I was thinking 'that is one awful looking building I hope thats not our hotel' but it was. It looked like a derelict farm, and it turned out, thats just what it used to be.

Reception were friendly, and it looked very clean. They made sure they told us how close we were to the railroad tracks, and asked us if we were sure we wanted to stay, and told us the train times when we would be woken! We went to out room and were shocked, but kind of happily surprised to learn it was an old grain silo! How cool is that? The rooms were hexagon shaped, and unpainted concrete, and there was a paper telling you how and why the hotel was built.

Breakfast is included and was rather basic, and it was fun to see pictures of the hotel when it was a working rail/silo/farm thing.

My only critisism would be the wooden floors and doors and too thin, and that they were many people returning from parties at early hours making lots of noise. They woke me up. But the trains didn't.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have always enjoyed it. The breakfast is great, the rooms are clean and up to date. The fact that it is an old silo is a great thrill to children as is the high speed train that runs behind the hotel. There are a few places to walk and eat. All rooms have wifi. Very pet friendly and the staff is great.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

We flew into the Santa Ana airport and needed a ride to the hotel which they advertise on their site. What they don't advertise is that the shuttle stops running at 7 pm and it costs $25 for a taxi ride. That made our $44 a night (on AAA) hotel, more than the 4* hotel we got on Hotwire. Definitely not worth that price!! If you use this hotel, make sure you get there before 7 pm or that you are driving.
The room had a distinct ODOR, not sure what it was, if it was just a musty smell or what. The room was fairly clean but the shower had mold in it. Surprisingly, the beds were actually comfortable which I wasn't expecting with the experience I was having so far. The pool and hot tub area did not look inviting like they do in the pictures. The breakfast was all carbs except for some boiled eggs and the orange juice is Tang or Sunny D, not real juice. It is next door to Denny's if you want a real breakfast though. We did not hear the highway or the train during the night.
Just so you know what you are getting if you decide to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple