“OMG! Don't sit at my table.”

Strings Italian Cafe
Ranked #12 of 57 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$10 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Strings Italian Café opened in Jackson November 1, 2007. Locally owned and operated by Sharon Cassella. Sharon's family opened Home and Farm Supply " The Biggest Little Kitchen Store" in Jackson in 1972. Growing up in a family business made Sharon want to open her own business and in 1985 she opened and operated JB's Awards & Engraving. In 2007 a family member came to Sharon and suggested she open something Italian and family style, Sharon decided to call Strings Restaurant group and ask about a Strings Italian Café. " I always used to go to the one in Lodi and buy the Salad" says Sharon. I LOVE the salad and the dressing and the concept of having an Italian Restaurant in Jackson that was geared for the family with affordable prices. Jackson has been known for Italian restaurants and at one time had four very nice Italian choices. Now as the years have gone by and the economy took a few of those down we realize the need for Affordable family dining is needed more than ever. Strings employs a staff of 20 and is open seven days a week. We support local business and all of our employees are local. Our goal is to make sure every customer gets to experience a delicious meal with courteous service and have a dining experience that they will enjoy.
Jackson, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OMG! Don't sit at my table.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have read the few bad reviews for Strings/Jackson and found them lacking. As a Local I have eaten there many times and found it is always top notch. Great service, friendly employees, excellent food and wine. To the guy who said he was served his salad with dressing already on ... apparently you don't go out to dine very often or you're an idiot... ask for the dressing on the side, etc., yada, yada! For the person who said she got sick twice.... I can understand that... You're probably sickening anywho! Come on folks where did you go to school? Didn't your parents ever take you dinning, teaching you the finer arts and etiquette of dinning in a fine establishment ? There are legitimate complaint... which should be directed immediately to management or the owner. People are People... You can't please everyone... However, idiots... should say home to eat.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank irmrbill

Redwood City, California
“Amazing Service & Food”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travel through Jackson, California on my way from Oakhurst, California to Tahoe City. I decided to stop in at Strings to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. A very nice clean well lit eatery, great staff and wonderful food. You get a lot for very reasonable prices. I had the Artichoke Stuffed Ravioli and it comes with a choice of salads and bread with extra virgin olive oil with balsamic vinegar. I was informed by my waitress that the bread and salad was all you could eat. The food was excellent. I recommend Strings to all. Great value, great staff and great food.

• Visited July 2014
Delano, California
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I liked the mix of traditional and creative Italian food. I enjoyed the lasagne with meat balls and my husband was impressed with the steak service with blue cheese and shrimp. the chocolate lasagne desert was very good.
The service was attentive. A nice, relaxing dining experience

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Linda O
Fiddletown, California
“Excellent Italian food in a strip mall? FUHGEDABOUDIT!!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

It's no wonder, in a small close-knit community like we have in Amador County rich with multiple generations of Italian families, that a place like Strings ostensibly seems like a can't-miss business prospect. It has recently been awarded by this site as well as the local paper sponsored publicly voted list of favorites as best Italian Restaurant. That's a biggie around here, considering the community's long standing loyalty with some of the oldest businesses having stayed in the same families from the gold rush era to the present. I remember thinking when Strings first opened several years ago they will make it or break it on the merits of the food and word of mouth, but without the benefit of that all-important "local tenure".
The shopping center location makes it very convenient (close to where highways 88 and 49 intersect/merge) and right off the bat, the appearance from the outside is very clean, meticulously primped, and free of blemish. However (it must be said), it is a rather unromantic rectangular beige shoe box of a building (no outdoor seating) with no features to prepare you for anything culturally significant pertaining to Italy whatsoever... well, aside from the Italian flag colors wrapped around the shoe box like a ribbon, which effectively makes it look like a gift one might find under an Italian giant's Christmas tree (the box presumably containing a pair of stylish gargantuan dress shoes, perhaps) ...not the very best first impression, but in this case it was a false one... because everything was about to improve dramatically.
The moment you enter the door the smells of PROPER Italian cuisine hit you like an avalanche of freshly-made-marinara-sauce-scented down feathers (only much more pleasant than that image now seems, on second thought). Of course, they have traditional Italian pop favorites at the "just right" volume level for relaxed conversation over an eclectic wine menu. The décor is superbly appointed and in sharp contrast from what one might expect coming in from the parking lot. It is very comfortable and you get the clear sense that a talented individual went out of their way to carefully pick the colors, the art, and the overall style of everything in sight... meanwhile, that heavenly aroma OWNS the air.
The hostess, waitresses, kitchen staff, all VERY professional and the right amount of friendly. How else to say it? Service was as nice and attentive and helpful as could possibly be expected and desired. Not to be outdone, the food was stellar beyond anticipation. Honestly it was the kind of Italian food you would find in a little mom & pop restaurant in North Beach, San Francisco (this is a serious compliment). The salad was served family style (i.e. in one large bowl) along with a basket of fresh bread. Our entrees arrived hot and fresh and beautiful... My calzone was big and meaty enough to feed me for two separate meals and absolutely delicious with such authenticity... reminded me of calzones you get exclusively in New York City. Actually, even better! We (my "date" and I) traded samples. She got the salmon which was exquisite as well (that sauce!). She must have been moved by the calzone experience as I was because when I asked her opinion of the calzone she did her best New York accent and replied, "fuhgeddaboudit!" (with inflection implying "very much so, yes I like this!")
I don't know how the other franchises are doing in the "Strings" constellation of stores throughout the land. The Jackson location is the only one I've been in - though I understand the chain is expanding. When I asked for the salad dressing recipe, my server told me they get it from a common source with the other Strings franchises (for uniformity). So if all of the other Strings restaurants are offering the same menu and same attention to detail, style, and staff - then they'll be a stock to watch if they go public (but I digress).
So the approach to the store all the way up to the entrance is nothing to remark strongly about plus or minus (cleanliness cancels box effect). However, once you're inside it's simply delightful and STAYS that way all the way through... even the bill is easy on the eyes . There are coupons for Strings all over the county and on the web, so you just can't go wrong. Thankfully we didn't judge a book by its cover and gave Strings a chance to "wow" us... and wow us they did. My family and business has added Strings to our short "HOT" list of places we love to eat and we WILL be back there soon and with regularity!!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Thomas S
Fiddletown, California
“Great Food & Service”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We took some out of town visitors here for lunch. The service was excellent, fast and friendly. I had the chicken parm, my wife and friends had the all you can eat soup and salad. We love the bread they serve. Definitely would go back.

• Visited December 2013