“What's better than Joses?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 56 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: (209)223-3886
“What's better than Joses?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Just read the previous posts on this place.. Well most were good but the bad ones were quiet sad... What's wrong with you Debbie downers?!! Don't listen to the crap they wrote... Joses is great...they do alot for the community... And they are a reliable friendly restaurant! Why people waste their time writing bad reviews kills me. The food is excellent and so is the staff... Don't take the bad reviews and make ur decision..those people were obviously in a bad mood and took it out on the place! Go in and see for yourself! I'll be there tonight for my weekly $1.50 taco Thursday treat with my girlfriends!

• Visited August 2013

Diamond Springs, California
“No longer our place to stop for lunch on Sunday.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We have been stopping at Jose's for months, every Sunday on our way back to Placerville from Oakdale. The food is really good, the service has always been good especially when Patti was our server. A few weeks ago when we stopped we had the misfortune of being stuck with the owners daughter as our server. She absolutely egnored us for at least 15 minutes while she waited on other customers, visited with the lady at the desk and generally walked around the restraurant. She was rude and slow when she finally came to our table. This was not the first time we had her for our server, the first time she told us we ate too many chips. We will not be going back here only because we do not want to have put up with this kind of service when we are the ones paying for it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jackson, California
“Good food with no MSG!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

We went on a Tuesday evening around 6:30. The parking lot looked full, but don't let this scare you off. They have many tables inside. We were seated within just a minute or two at the most, (they were helping someone else when we came in,) and we were seated in one of their booths. A complimentary 'crisp' and some salsa was brought to our table within just a few minutes, along with ice water. The crisp is a deep fried tortilla with melting cheese on it. We liked it VERY much, with a side of sour cream.

My husband had the large chicken taco, with beans and all the fixings on it, (this was as big as a plate,) and I had the two cheese enchilada with rice and beans. My husband liked his taco, and I liked my enchiladas, rice, and beans. A good amount of food was on the plate, the service was very good, (even though we were tucked into a corner of the room,) and the room was not too hot and not too cold. I had Mug root beer, (Mug is caffeine free,) and my husband had his usual diet coke.

The meal was much more Mexican than what I had first expected. There is a unique taste to their food, one I have not found anywhere else. But there is one thing that I love the most about this restaurant, is that is the food has no MSG!

We took some crisps home for the kids, and they loved them.

This is a family run restaurant that has been in Jackson for a long time, and is known to be a favorite of the locals.

They are closed on Mondays, and during the rest of the weekdays, they are open for lunch, and then they close at two pm and then re-open at five pm for dinner.
www.JosesMexRestaurant.com for better photos of the food and dining room, and even a coupon to print out and use if interested. (Alas, we were not able to use the coupon for the free item, for we did not know about the web site till afterwards, when we took one of their business cards.)

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank See D
Valley Springs
“Nada to say”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Over-priced, bland tasting food... The Waffle Shop or Taco Bell down the road has better Mex-food. I have eaten at Jose's over the past 15 years and it has gone downhill; I am from SoCal and this place doesn't know how to cook "real" Mex. More chips and salsa is an extra cost. If you want flavor and food for your money...look around in the neighboring towns.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carl B
Sierra Vista AZ
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

We were in town for a car show and wanted a good Mexican meal. Jose's was just down the street from our hotel, so we gave it a try. When we arrived, I remembered we'd dined here before, probably 6 or 7 years before.

The waitress was friendly and cheerful. We were brought chips and salsa right away. The meals we ordered were just so - ordinary. I've been spoiled with having access to great Mexican food and was slightly disappointed with the food at Jose's. I had beef enchiladas and my husband had beef tacos. We were surprised that the "crispy" tacos were very soft. The waitress asked if he wanted soft or crispy and he ordered crispy. We even called her over after the plates arrived to be sure he had gotten the correct order. She said that's just the way their "crispy" tacos are.

The meal was very average. We would probably come again if ever in the area. I'd like to try different dishes to see if we could improve on things. Their prices are a tad high in my opinion.

• Visited August 2012